Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th August 2017, 01:03 AM
robertdaleweir Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
F24 Notifications Holding Up Power Off

I am having an issue, which just cropped up near the EOL of F24. What happens is when I try to log off I see a long list of Notifications regarding VLC - "Some applications are busy or have unsaved work" with a list of individual Notifications which say "VLC media player" on one line and "Inhibit by Caffeine" on the next. (I have closed all running instances of VLC at this stage). I tried to attach a Picture but it refused me the ability to do so. Although it does Power Off, eventually, I am thinking that these Notifications are referring to something that is delaying the shutdown. How do I get to the bottom of this issue? If I never use VLC, while in any given session, this does not happen.
I am using Caffeine to keep the VLC running and not allow a Suspend while playing (I used Tweak Tool) to set that up and it works well (I have the Notifications Off in the settings shown in Tweak Tool). In normal operation once VLC is closed, Caffeine goes off as it should. Any help would be appreciated.
MoBo Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 AMD760G AM3+ MicroATX
Memory 8 Gigs Gskill Ripjaw DDR3-1333 PC-10666
Old 10th September 2017, 11:57 PM
robertdaleweir Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: F24 Notifications Holding Up Power Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertdaleweir View Post
I am having an issue, which just cropped up near the EOL of F24. What happens is when I try to log off I see a long list of Notifications regarding VLC - "Some applications are busy or have unsaved work" with a list of individual Notifications which say "VLC media player" on one line and "Inhibit by Caffeine" on the next. (I have closed all running instances of VLC at this stage). I tried to attach a Picture but it refused me the ability to do so. Although it does Power Off, eventually, I am thinking that these Notifications are referring to something that is delaying the shutdown. How do I get to the bottom of this issue? If I never use VLC, while in any given session, this does not happen.
I am using Caffeine to keep the VLC running and not allow a Suspend while playing (I used Tweak Tool) to set that up and it works well (I have the Notifications Off in the settings shown in Tweak Tool). In normal operation once VLC is closed, Caffeine goes off as it should. Any help would be appreciated.
UPDATE
The problem has apparently been in existence for sometime and the maintainer has mentioned that it is not being dealt with as other issues are taking precedence. It has actually been reported as still a problem in F26 under Wayland. Seems this will never be resolved due to higher priorities. Information was found at one or other of the following URLs.
https://github.com/paradoxxxzero/gno...let/issues/350
https://github.com/eonpatapon/gnome-...pjax-container
I will mark this question solved, which although not true, there is no benefit in leaving it active here. Cheers...
MoBo Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 AMD760G AM3+ MicroATX
Memory 8 Gigs Gskill Ripjaw DDR3-1333 PC-10666
Old 11th September 2017, 12:35 AM
dd_wizard Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: F24 Notifications Holding Up Power Off

This kind of thing is why I switched from gnome shell to mate.

dd_wizard

Tags
f24, holding, notifications, power