Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th April 2017, 06:08 PM
boycottsystemd Offline

linuxfirefox
Can't boot openSUSE 42.2 from boot menu created by Fedora 24

Error message disappears too fast to be able to read it. It's related to main boot menu. OpenSUSE can boot from submenu (it's same kernel like in main menu).

Does anyone know please how to fix it ?
Old 18th April 2017, 09:34 PM
SteveGYBE Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Can't boot openSUSE 42.2 from boot menu created by Fedora 24

Check in grub.cfg that the "root=" parameter (plus any "helper" parameters beginning with "rd.") on the SuSe kernel line is pointing to your SuSE root partition.

I usually install new releases of Fedora in fresh partitions to leave me with a working previous version. The install finds my previous kernels but sets them up in Grub pointing to my new root partition so I have to set them back to the correct partitions manually.
Old 18th April 2017, 10:40 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxchrome

From Open Suse, make sure there is a biosboot partition or equivalent. Suse tends to skip having the BB integrated with btrfs. If I recall, grub2 of Fedora had problems​ with booting directly from btrfs.

I used their version of grub2-install to solve this problem.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 16th May 2017, 07:15 AM
boycottsystemd Offline

linuxfirefox

It has been solved by updating Fedora and openSUSE.
Old 16th May 2017, 10:43 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsatenstein View Post
From Open Suse, make sure there is a biosboot partition or equivalent. Suse tends to skip having the BB integrated with btrfs. If I recall, grub2 of Fedora had problems​ with booting directly from btrfs.

I used their version of grub2-install to solve this problem.
biosboot isn't needed for UEFI firmware controlled systems, they use EFI partitions instead (mounted as /boot/efi).

biosboot also isn't required if you are running legacy BIOS and using an ms-dos partition table aka MBR. biosboot should only be used in one scenario, using legacy BIOS and a GPT partition table.

one observation I have noticed recently, both Fedora and CentOS are now recommending a 1GB /boot partition as the boot images are now larger. Either that or reduce the number of retained kernels.

Tags
422, boot, created, fedora, menu, opensuse