Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th April 2017, 04:14 AM
technog1 Offline

linuxfedorachrome
Fan speed running full blast upon bootup

Fedora release 25 (Twenty Five)
Laptop: Asus

After the latest software updates, a reboot resulted in the fan running at topspeed at startup!
I checked cpu usage and nothing at all other than a process called upowerd taking only 3.6% of cpu which should not trigger the fan to come on full blast.

Any ideas ?
Old 12th April 2017, 09:39 AM
flyingdutchman Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Fan speed running full blast upon bootup

Well, you have an Advanced Power Management problem.

This may help:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Power_management

Otherwise, when all else fails, take a Dremel cutting tool, cut out a large rectangle of plastic on the bottom of the laptop around the fan, solder a resistor in series with the durn thing and glue the plastic back in again. (Note that this is not completely in jest. If you ever have to clean dust bunnies from the fan and heat exchanger, then it is much easier and less risky to cut the bottom of a laptop open than to disassemble the whole Rube Goldberg assembly from the top down.)
Old 12th April 2017, 10:21 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

frankenstein's notebook approach may be fine for people who can deal with a soldering gun and aren't ham fisted

Mainstream ASUS notebooks are usually fairly simple to strip back to expose the heatsink for bunny extraction without having to hack away at the chassis but that depends of course on the series and form factor purchased.

installing powertop may help reduce the thermal load

What specific model ASUS notebook are you having problems with technog1?
Old 12th April 2017, 03:14 PM
technog1 Offline

linuxfedorachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman View Post
Well, you have an Advanced Power Management problem.

This may help:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Power_management

Otherwise, when all else fails, take a Dremel cutting tool, cut out a large rectangle of plastic on the bottom of the laptop around the fan, solder a resistor in series with the durn thing and glue the plastic back in again. (Note that this is not completely in jest. If you ever have to clean dust bunnies from the fan and heat exchanger, then it is much easier and less risky to cut the bottom of a laptop open than to disassemble the whole Rube Goldberg assembly from the top down.)
Flyingdutchman, or frankenstein as someone puts it,

I will check out the power management. Its weird how i just happen to have a dremel within reach.
Yeah, i had disassembled this freaking laptop a while ago. Its a tank. A real pain in the ass to take apart and put back together. I was going for my chainsaw. It might just be easier to saw away and glue back together.

Thanks for both the tips.
Old 12th April 2017, 03:35 PM
technog1 Offline

linuxfedorachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post
frankenstein's notebook approach may be fine for people who can deal with a soldering gun and aren't ham fisted

Mainstream ASUS notebooks are usually fairly simple to strip back to expose the heatsink for bunny extraction without having to hack away at the chassis but that depends of course on the series and form factor purchased.

installing powertop may help reduce the thermal load

What specific model ASUS notebook are you having problems with technog1?
antikythera, Yea, will try powertop before sawing or disassembling.
I have the Asus G53S, older model, but built like a tank, with two large vents in the back. Which is why i bought this laptop years ago. All heat goes out the back. Love it. but now getting a bit old.
I had disassembled this laptop a while ago, and it was a real pain to take apart and put back, so will try the power management features first.

thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 04:57 PM
flyingdutchman Offline

macosfirefox

Well, since you have disassembled it once before, you now have the advantage that you know exactly where to cut it!
Old 13th April 2017, 01:24 AM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Take one of the dust-off canisters with the plastic pipe, and blow some chilled compressed air into the input vent. If that action of injecting cold air into the appropriate place in the case slows the fan down for a while and then the fan speed returns, then you know it is a severe dust collection problem. Some laptops (I have a Samsung), have a trap door on the bottom for some service activity. (I think it's to allow larger capacity dimms. But behind the dimms one can find a place to do some compressed air dust removal blowing. Good luck.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 21st April 2017, 12:44 PM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Question, does the fan go full speed on boot, and then slow down ?

or it just stays at max ?

On another note, I found out that removing the packages:
tracker
baloo_file

gives me a nice quiet laptop.....

Tags
blast, bootup, fan, fast, running, speed