Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th January 2017, 12:55 PM
jimmy Offline

linuxchrome
Red face mac mini 2011 - A couple of questions relating to booting from ISO or optical media

how do i add any iso to Fedora 25 EFI (on mac mini 2011) for reinstallation ?

i am using Fedora 25 EFI mac mini 2011 64-bit Fedora 25 with cinnamon and workstation with standard EFI and standard partitioning scheme grub2 installation.

thank you

Old 12th January 2017, 05:41 AM
jimmy Offline

linuxchrome
how do i add boot from /dev/sr0 from cdrom from grub2 menu (mac min using F25)

how do i add boot from /dev/sr0 from cdrom from grub2 menu (mac min using F25)
Old 12th January 2017, 05:42 AM
jimmy Offline

linuxchrome
how do i switch from F25 to another linux from grub2 iso (with EFI) mac mini ?

how do i switch from F25 to another linux from grub2 iso (with EFI) mac mini ?
Old 12th January 2017, 12:01 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxubuntufirefox
Re: mac mini 2011 - A couple of questions relating to booting from ISO or optical med

Please don't open multiple threads for essentially the same topic. It is akin to forum bumping and will not get your questions answered any sooner than sticking to the one thread. also, moved to Mac chat as Mac users are more likely to know the answer here.
Old 12th January 2017, 12:05 PM
jimmy Offline

linuxubuntuchrome
Re: mac mini 2011 - A couple of questions relating to booting from ISO or optical med

one was about booting from dvddrive and one was about booting from iso. can you please reinstate ?
Old 12th January 2017, 12:09 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxubuntufirefox

the new topic title should suffice. you open 3 topics about booting from two medium in the same machine. all that was needed was a new post in the same topic asking about the alternative method.
Old 12th January 2017, 12:14 PM
jimmy Offline

linuxubuntuchrome

would you correct it for me since i did nothing wrong ?
Old 13th January 2017, 01:17 AM
chrismurphy Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Make USB stick media using Fedora Media Writer. To get FMW click here:

https://getfedora.org/en/workstation/download/

Then scroll down and click on View All Platform Downloads. Then choose the download for your platform (Mac OS X maybe if that's what OS you'll use to create the media). If you've already downloaded an ISO file for the spin you want, you can choose it in Fedora Media Writer by clicking on Custom Image.

Most of the 2012 and earlier Macs I've tried to install with optical disks produce a CSM-BIOS installation rather than EFI and you almost certainly want an EFI installation.
Old 13th January 2017, 12:51 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

windows_7mozilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
would you correct it for me since i did nothing wrong ?
To elaborate further why I intervened how I did, posting the same content more than once, which you did actually do since two of the three posts merged were about adding an ISO is counter-productive and wastes the time of other members. Cross-posting leads to confusion when replies are made in the duplicate threads. Staff members will close, merge, or delete duplicate threads and posts. We do this as necessary only to help and not hinder users.

Also, you have a reply in this thread from another MAC user. that was the aim of consolidating your posts and moving to mac chat. hopefully between the two (or more) of you a solution to your questions will be found. I doubt you will need to add to GRUB to boot from either an ISO or optical media though.

If you don't get an answer immediately here when creating a topic please be patient instead of opening additional threads in future. This is a user community forum and not an official support channel.

Tags
2011, add, boot, cdrom, efi, f25, fedora, grub2, iso, linux, mac, menu, min, mini, or dev or sr0, reinstallation, switch