Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th September 2017, 09:01 PM
ov10fac Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
LibraOffice not running over ssh -Y

So my first approach was to use VNC to access a server and run some applications on a laptop with a very small ssd. But I found I can use SSH to pretty much do the same thing, so I have been working on that. In the process I have found not all programs will run the way I expect. Examples:

ssh XYZ@192.168.1.10 -Y gimp.

This works great. gimp runs on the 1.10 machine and I see the screen on the machine I ssh from. No problems and good repsonse.

ssh XYZ@192.168.1.10 -Y libreoffice

Not so much. I get the small rectangle flash screen on the machine I ssh from, then the actual screen opens on the server and the machine I am using gets the terminal screen with a flashing cursor.

ssh XYZ@192.168.1.10 -Y inkscape

This one is even worse. It starts and displays on the 1.10 machine, but absolutely nothing on the ssh machine terminal window but a flashing cursor.

So, anyone have any suggestions as to what I might try to get these two running remotely?

Thanks.
Old 11th September 2017, 09:03 PM
srakitnican Offline

linuxchrome
Re: LibraOffice not running over ssh -Y

Yeah those probably does not support X protocol. Good read about the subject: https://blog.martin-graesslin.com/bl...-trancparency/
Old 12th September 2017, 12:44 AM
ov10fac Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: LibraOffice not running over ssh -Y

Thank you. That explains a lot.

Tags
libraoffice, running, ssh