Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th September 2017, 03:01 PM
ov10fac Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Install Programs on SD card

I just acquired a Dell Latitude 6430 laptop. Its a nice thin, light and fast machine, the only problem being it uses an msata SSD and the install drive is only 16GB. I could buy a larger drive but they are still pretty expensive for me.

I have installed F26 and it runs really well on this machine.

So what I would like to do is install all the programs I normally run on an sd card. Here is a list of the programs I use frequently:

GIMP
Inkscape
QCAD
gnucash
LibreOffice

If I can load the programs on an sd card, I can then use a USB stick to hold the data. Of course the other advantage is that I could just swap the card to another computer running F26.

So first, is this even possible. I know I can run gnucash and qcad from usb sticks as I have done that already by just copying the directories to a usb. But, the others, I'm not too sure of.

Thanks for any help.

John
Old 10th September 2017, 09:32 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome
Re: Install Programs on SD card

that also depends on the speed rating of the SD card and how fast the reader is. An alternative if you have a spare USB 3 port is a Sandisk Ultra Fit USB 3. I run an entire Fedora installation off a 64GB one of these and the read/write performance is very good. It's not SSD fast but compares near as dammit to a 5400rpm mechanical drive installation. they are available in sizes up to 256GB.
Old 10th September 2017, 10:14 PM
ov10fac Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post
that also depends on the speed rating of the SD card and how fast the reader is. An alternative if you have a spare USB 3 port is a Sandisk Ultra Fit USB 3. I run an entire Fedora installation off a 64GB one of these and the read/write performance is very good. It's not SSD fast but compares near as dammit to a 5400rpm mechanical drive installation. they are available in sizes up to 256GB.
Many thanks. I will have to look into that.
Old 11th September 2017, 09:56 AM
srakitnican Offline

linuxchrome

If you can acquire portable versions of those apps (e.g. the ones that just unpack) or the version with an installer that lets you choose the install location, then I would say it is possible. With RPM, there is not a way to install some apps at a different location, it is simply not designed to do that. More so because it makes a heavy use of shared libraries as a result it has to pull it and install it along with application.

With Flatpak on the other hand, what you want might be possible, not sure.
Old 11th September 2017, 06:57 PM
flyingdutchman Offline

macosfirefox

The trouble is shared libraries that will not be on the SD card and which may not be on another machine. What you want to do is somewhat like making a chroot environment.
Old 12th September 2017, 09:33 AM
AlexTheoto Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I understand that OP wants to install some applications on external drive and not complete fedora distro.
First of all, if you have not enough space on your SSD, you can choose a lightweight fedora spin which will use less disk space. Like in my case, I use LXDE with several extra applications and my / is at 6GB. If you need more space for your /home data, then you can use external storage.
But the way you think that you can install e.g. GIMP into removable storage, it is difficult because you have to link /usr /bin and some apps might use /etc too.
So, I think that it is easier to have your personal data on external disk rather than split all these folders.
Old 12th September 2017, 05:58 PM
ov10fac Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTheoto View Post
I understand that OP wants to install some applications on external drive and not complete fedora distro.
First of all, if you have not enough space on your SSD, you can choose a lightweight fedora spin which will use less disk space. Like in my case, I use LXDE with several extra applications and my / is at 6GB. If you need more space for your /home data, then you can use external storage.
But the way you think that you can install e.g. GIMP into removable storage, it is difficult because you have to link /usr /bin and some apps might use /etc too.
So, I think that it is easier to have your personal data on external disk rather than split all these folders.
Thank you for the idea. Sounds like the way to go. How would you put the /home and other directories on an external drive, map the drive to these directories?

Thank
Old 12th September 2017, 08:37 PM
AlexTheoto Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Thank you for the idea. Sounds like the way to go. How would you put the /home and other directories on an external drive, map the drive to these directories?
I'll suggest the easiest way to save your personal data on external device and browse these files with your file manager.
When you plug the device, you are ready to go. Don't save your /home folder on external device because if for whatever reason the device is not present during boot, then your configs will be reset and fstab will search for the device and give you timeout error with probably command prompt fixme. There is a workaround for the fstab issue but I don't think it is necessarily for your case.
So, keep it simple. But take a look when you delete some files from removable device, if they moved in your ssd .config/Trash folder and full your ssd.

Tags
card, install, programs