Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th February 2013, 04:34 AM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Comparison betwen different desktop environments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatewindows View Post
WindowMaker is pretty well rounded, but some major features keep it from being my favorite.

- There is no clock. Anywhere.
There's a separate package with a clock for Window Maker:
Code:
yum install wmCalClock
Run wmCalClock and you'll be able to pin it to the dock. It's the clock I use in Window Maker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatewindows View Post
- There is no way to lock the screen.
Code:
yum install xlockmore
Then go to the Window Maker menu and select Workspace -> Lock. I use it all the time.
Can't help you with the wi-fi, though.
OS: Fedora 26 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 7GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N
Old 12th February 2013, 12:14 PM
Ihatewindows Offline
Banned

macossafari

Ah. Ok. Thanks!
Old 5th May 2014, 02:06 AM
sidebrnz Offline

linuxfirefox

I finally found out that the reason I couldn't keep ForecastFox active for more than about ten minutes is that it's not compatible with FF 29. I now have Weather Watch Live installed and it works just fine.
Registered Linux user #470359 and permanently recovered BOFH.

Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Old 5th May 2014, 01:29 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Mithrandir

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidebrnz View Post
I finally found out that the reason I couldn't keep ForecastFox active for more than about ten minutes is that it's not compatible with FF 29. I now have Weather Watch Live installed and it works just fine.
Is your post in the right thread sidebrnz?

The Linux Documentation Project | Fedora Documentation

Last edited by nonamedotc; 5th May 2014 at 08:50 PM. Reason: typo
Old 5th May 2014, 03:41 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

I kinda wondered about that, myself. <....>
Old 28th November 2014, 06:50 AM
fed1989 Offline

windows_7chrome
Re: Comparison betwen different desktop enviornments

I agree with you!
Old 31st January 2015, 06:40 PM
tikiribanda Offline

macoschrome

I use GNOME on my PC and LXDE on my netbook.

GNOME looks great and very user friendly, while LXDE is super lightweight and works great on computers which does not have much resources.
Old 31st January 2015, 10:21 PM
dd_wizard Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiribanda View Post
I use GNOME on my PC and LXDE on my netbook.

GNOME looks great and very user friendly, while LXDE is super lightweight and works great on computers which does not have much resources.
If you want a light weight gnome, try this on your LXDE system:
Code:
dnf install gnome-menus gnome-shell gnome-tweak-tool gnome-shell-extension-alternate-tab gnome-shell-extension-apps-menu gnome-shell-extension-background-logo gnome-shell-extension-common gnome-shell-extension-launch-new-instance gnome-shell-extension-places-menu gnome-shell-extension-window-list
You should get less than 100 packages, and less than 200MB installed size for a fully functional gnome shell. Feel free to exclude extensions you'll never use from the list, those are the ones that get installed if you install the full blown Gnome DE.

dd_wizard
Old 1st February 2015, 12:49 PM
kkshethin Online

windows_98_nt_2000firefox

Budgie desktop
"https://evolve-os.com/budgie/"
Pantheon desktop
"https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pantheon"
Lumina desktop
"http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/Lumina/10.1"
Old 1st February 2015, 07:16 PM
exploder91 Offline

linuxfirefox

I started using Xfce and Cinnamon on my machines. I never really cared much for Xfce before but the way the Korora Developers presented it made it seem appealing. I found Cinnamon to be a little lighter than Gnome Shell and after customizing it a little I really started liking it.

I do like Gnome Shell, it is extremely flexible with the use of extensions. My hardware is starting to show it's age though and lighter desktop environments seem better suited these days.

There is so much choice available these days and honestly you can make just about any desktop environment look and feel any way you want. We are so fortunate to have so much choice and flexibility available!
Old 3rd March 2015, 04:48 PM
iveybank Offline

macoschrome

I got started with Ubuntu, tried Fedora here and CentOS a couple of times, it looks like its going to stick this time with F20.

Last edited by iveybank; 6th March 2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 3rd March 2015, 07:56 PM
stevea

linuxchrome
Re: Comparison betwen different desktop enviornments

Nice links, but limited. Here is at least a more complete listing.
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Desktops/

I think that one important DE feature missing from the comparison is compiance to the freedesktop scheme.
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/
all that stuff under /etc/xdg, menu system, and some dbus interfaces. Poor compliance (a few years ago) is the reason I dropped lxde from consideration.

Let's not ignore Enlightenment. It's pretty, it's very lightweight and it's usable.

--

My opinions/concerns wrt to DEs are these.

- The DE should be dead-fast, crisp. This has little to do with the graphics unit or processor and more to do with the design & implementation choices. 20ms here and 30ms there can certainly add up to bad corner-case performance, but my bigger concern is that it creates a fat-pudgy-sluggish feel that annoys me.

- The desktop should be well organized and efficient to use, but also featureful. The DE is a tool that mediates between the human and the computer and it should be designed to permit high speed and efficient communication (human to computer is the slow-link). One (multi) keystroke might represent 6 or 7 bits of info. One mouse click can spec ~10-14 bits of 2d information. So slamming the mouse to a far-corner or scrolling through pages of massive icons, or odd key-combos is for gumbies - grunt-n-point'ers, not for those trying to specify more efficiently.

The design ethic should be Swedish-modem minimalist, high functionality, but not rococco. Along that line - I don't mind a learning-curve *IF* it pays off. Big tools with limited use/value-add leave me cold. I don't want KDE/Konqueror for exactly the same reason I don't want a pomegranate-peeler in my kitchen cupboard.

- The edges should be chamferred. Yes I want minimalist design w/ high functionality, but the error cases and re-config cases shouldn't turn into day project. It should look like an integrated design, including configuration - not an erector set project where I have to break out the wrenches every time.

- Aesthetics. I'd like to claim it doesn't matter much, but that's not true. I sit facing this DE for many any hours per week. It needs to be pleasant looking, but never obtrusive or showy. Do new windows appear where I expect ? To menus cascade reasonably ? Are important pop-ups places appropriately and on to top others appropriately ? It there some coherent, easily accessed UP-TO-DATE documentation for the actual details - or do I have to post to the right forum to find the guy who knows the magic-incantation ?

- I tend to not develop DE software so I'm not looking for a publicly accessible api of the sort KDE & Gnome provide. Nice - sure, but not a decision factor. Anyway which is harder - editing the entire Enlightenment or lxde source base or learning the evolving Gnome apis ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea View Post
Its not matching a 100%, but a WM is pretty close to a DE if .....
In the same sense that 4 wheels and a motor and a bunch of bolts and sheet metal is pretty close to a car.

Last edited by stevea; 3rd March 2015 at 08:08 PM.
Old 7th August 2015, 10:53 AM
cookiejar Offline
Banned

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

You'll get security and bug fixes, but precious few new features, if any. Core libraries, etc., very likely will not be replaced by newer versions. Newer software will move on to newer dependencies that CentOS 7 won't be able to provide. (E.g., a couple of years ago, Google stopped building Chrome for the GTK version CentOS 6 uses.)
Quan ao tre em | Blog Thoi trang Phap | Thoi trang tre em
Old 7th August 2015, 11:22 AM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

There's a nice little article on the #!Crunchbang forums, 30 window managers in 30 days. These are all (or at least almost all) window managers rather than desktop environments.

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=18273
Old 7th August 2015, 01:48 PM
UndiscoveredBum Offline

windows_7mozilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by smr54 View Post
There's a nice little article on the #!Crunchbang forums, 30 window managers in 30 days. These are all (or at least almost all) window managers rather than desktop environments.

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=18273
That's a sweet idea. We might need to tweak the list a little bit (I've struggled to get some WMs on the list working in Fedora), but it would be a really neat idea to do a 30 WM in 30 days event!