Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th December 2009, 02:33 AM
clearer Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Growing oldschool

It looks like I'm growing into being oldschool -- whatever that is. I noticed a few days ago that they way "oldschoolers" seem to behave to me, I am starting to myself.

For example, I have gained a complete distrust of anything people claim to be new or better than what I'm used to -- chrome os, java, .net and whatnot -- I constantly think people are going too fast and aren't stopping for a moment to consider just what the hell they are doing. I've even begun finding movies and tv series that are about the age of my (deceased) grandparents and the music I listen to lately is either inspired by music from or made in the 1920s or 1930s.

Is this a bad thing? Or as some imaginary person was quoted to say in an XKCD strip: does this look infected? Should more people start to become "oldschool"?
Old 5th December 2009, 03:14 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Hmmmm.

Sounds to me like the normal life progression of cocksure ignorance giving way to thoughtful uncertainty giving way to jaded dis-appreciation of attempts to slam change-for-changes-sake down the throat of someone whom by experience and observation, damn well knows better.

And, no. It's not a bad thing.

*Snort!*

And there ain't a damn thing wrong with the music of the 20~50s. It was a time when elegance, dignity and the higher forms of romance (the cultural phenomenon, not the currently common emotional drivel) actually meant something.

There are several channels on Shoutcast whence one may find the stuff of stardust and magic. My crotchety old ze5170 laptop (F8 and Debian Etch) is perpetually tuned to those regions of the web.
Old 5th December 2009, 03:37 AM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearer View Post
It looks like I'm growing into being oldschool
Maybe you're just growing old, instead of oldschool.
Old 5th December 2009, 03:51 AM
Evil_Bert Offline
Retired Again - Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
27 seems a bit young to be yelling at the whippersnappers. Maybe you're becoming possessed by the spirits of your ancestors?
Old 5th December 2009, 03:55 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Bert ... you are sooooo ruining the mood. <....>

And my setup. <....>
Old 5th December 2009, 06:40 AM
SlowJet Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Brain placidity setting in, start some high stress relationship or life and death drama, immediately.
But make sure you do the roles like you did when you were 2 years old learning to walk, talk, eat and poop.
Otherwise you could have a stroke.

SJ
Old 5th December 2009, 12:26 PM
clearer Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Well, I'm glad it's not a bad thing at least. And yes, 27 is quite young to start yelling at the young wippersnappers -- that's what was worrying me.

I hope, when I grow old(er) that I at least grow into being the grumpy old man that people like -- not just the grumpy old man that people think's grumpy for no sensible reason. I'm pretty sure I'll grow into being a grumpy old man. That is, if I'm not already one.

Maybe having a kid will help a bit (we're working on one presently).
Old 5th December 2009, 12:55 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
For example, I have gained a complete distrust of anything people claim to be new or better than what I'm used to -- chrome os, java, .net and whatnot -- I constantly think people are going too fast and aren't stopping for a moment to consider just what the hell they are doing.
Wow, nice choice of a distro!

But you sure can grow older without the negative side-effects physically and emotionally. I'm still the same sweet guy that I was 40 years ago... Hey wait a minute....

GEDDOFF THE GRASS, YA DANGED KIDS!!

See, you just have to relate to people on their level and it's all fine.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 5th December 2009, 01:16 PM
clearer Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Bob = grumpy old man.

Bleeding edge doesn't mean not stopping and thinking about what you're doing. Besides, the changes I notice in Fedora happen for a reason and actually does benefit me (most of the time at least) and is (usually) not a case of change-for-the-sake-of-change.
Old 5th December 2009, 01:20 PM
beaker_ Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
No worries, just get yourself a 19yr old gf and you'll soon be thankful you're no longer that young or stupid.

Hmmm... yeah it a relative statement, one of those things you can't reveal to the years of youth.

Last edited by beaker_; 5th December 2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 5th December 2009, 01:27 PM
clearer Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I know some pretty smart 19 yos (good looking too) -- I would think my current girlfriend would get rather pissed if I did anything with them though. Besides, I think I've actually grown dumber over the years.
Old 5th December 2009, 01:35 PM
Evil_Bert Offline
Retired Again - Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Besides, I think I've actually grown dumber over the years.
There's something to be said for that - not so much "dumber" but locked in to habitual thought patterns that affect problem solving abilities.

By the time I'd finished my Bachelor's degree (a long time ago now), I swear my reading abilities had regressed since High School rather than improved. I think it was because of the nature and narrower scope of the Uni reading material and no spare time to read other things.
Old 5th December 2009, 03:21 PM
stevea

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
It looks like I'm growing into being oldschool -- whatever that is. I noticed a few days ago that they way "oldschoolers" seem to behave to me, I am starting to myself.

For example, I have gained a complete distrust of anything people claim to be new or better than what I'm used to -- chrome os, java, .net and whatnot -- I constantly think people are going too fast and aren't stopping for a moment to consider just what the hell they are doing. I've even begun finding movies and tv series that are about the age of my (deceased) grandparents and the music I listen to lately is either inspired by music from or made in the 1920s or 1930s.

Is this a bad thing? Or as some imaginary person was quoted to say in an XKCD strip: does this look infected? Should more people start to become "oldschool"?
I have a little different take than others here. If you mean you are starting to think more deeply about your decisions and their consequences - then you are just getting smarter and leaving behind some of the peer-pressure/fad choices of youth - that's definitely a good thing. If instead yo mean that you have an unthinking immediate reaction/bias to anything new than makes you want to reject it - then that's very bad.

Java is definitely oldschool - it's been around since at least 1995, and 14 years is forever for software. It still has some nice new properties but also some pretty ugly limitations. The point is you need to really consider the advantages/disadvantages for any intended use and not become a mindless fanboi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Bert View Post
There's something to be said for that - not so much "dumber" but locked in to habitual thought patterns that affect problem solving abilities.
Yes, that's the issue, but it's not just age at work. A 30yo can be just as stuck in mental ruts as a 75yo. I used to work with a guy (Ph.D) on a piece of highly complex programmable parallel data manipulation hardware. DoctorDoug was amazingly severely stuck in his ways of thinking. Difficult to describe the details here, but lets just say that DoctorDoug could accept a proposition stated in the form, "A+B=C" but he acted like any other identical representation was wrong "A=C-B" for example. I and others ended up translating our communications into the only form that Doctor Doug could accept or understand to accommodate his excessively rigid way of thinking.. Sadly he went on to become a professor at a regional University, perhaps an example of "those who can't do, teach".

The only solution its to keep moving away from your "comfort zones" and viewing issues from different perspectives; trying new things. It's part of the fedora attraction, but obviously it's just a little thing.

Last edited by stevea; 5th December 2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old 6th December 2009, 09:11 PM
clearer Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Well, I don't think I'm more rigid, but that's not to say that I'm not rigid. I think it may just be all the stupid people in the world that's bothering me (aka anyone that's doesn't see all the obvious solutions to easy problems in the world -- like world peace).

Last edited by clearer; 6th December 2009 at 09:12 PM. Reason: &mdash; != what I expected it to be.
Old 7th December 2009, 12:04 PM
finnmetal Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
frame of mind

very interesting this discussion has come up. I just decided to comment because this is something that I have to deal with every working day, similar to stevea's post. Though in my part my arguments here are IT work related only.

I can completly relate to stevea's post
Quote:
distrust of anything people claim to be new or better than what I'm used to -- chrome os, java, .net and whatnot -- I constantly think people are going too fast and aren't stopping for a moment to consider just what the hell they are doing.
imho newer is not always better , but staying with old technology isn't always the right choice either. I think a good balance in between is the best solution. Although for critcial production systems (servers) I just want it stable and not cutting edge per se unless you need function X which is new , well then try to find that balance. Although on most my system I run rawhide for e.g. its what weeds out men from noobs one of my buddies favorite sayings. LOL

For the most part some colleagues in the enterprise area I know are just downright oldschool and conservative. I hate this mixture in IT. Just like the words never touch a running system. If you do not think like them then its wrong , or they dont further their horizons or try to understand new technology. IT is a fast paced sector and staying on a tech level of 5 years ago plus is just ugly (imho). Sure some basic things never change , but to dig a trench like that and say everything that is new sucks is just downright wrong in my eyes. Just because you might not like something of course you don't have to accept it , but just because its new doesn't mean its bad either, understand and study it before just making assumptions is what I am trying to say.

I have seen the worst sides of this kind of thinking , refusing to rtfm , or update technology , hell when I came to this customer 2 years ago they were still running a open web server on a unpatched system with a 2.4 kernel The nix admin there basically was on a competence/knowledge level of 10 years ago and just liked to reminisce and always everything was better back then. Crap imho , although maybe some things were nice , a lot of stuff has come a long way and that for the better , evolution its inevitable . Me I like to go with the flow