Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th November 2007, 11:24 PM
sptj Offline

Fedora 8 - compiz no longer working

First of all i would like to say that this new release is the worse EVER!

First - the custom fonts i have on my user installed are no longer working - crap!
2nd - PulseAusio SUX big time, i cannot use my alsa now because of this stupid thing, alsa was working perfectly FINE for me, why the hell did they screw it up - now i cannot control the volume except from within the pulse audio itself, how stupid is that!?
3d - the topic -> Compiz was working on intel 855 GM since the first day we have got AIGLX, from fedora 5, it was working even before that as i have had put XGL on my laptop and it was still working just fine. Now, with the new release it is just stupidly NOT working:

This is from the bug report

Description of problem:
After fresh install of Fedora 8 (DVD version) compiz is not starting, stating:
$ compiz --replace
compiz (core) - Fatal: GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is missing
compiz (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0
But actually there is such extension:

$ glxinfo | grep pixmap
GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap,
GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap

And AIGLX is loaded:
$ grep AIGLX /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(==) AIGLX enabled
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x23
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x24
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x25
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x26
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x27
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x28
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x29
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2a
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2b
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2c
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2d
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2e
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2f
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x30
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x31
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x32
(II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized /usr/lib/dri/i915_dri.so

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
compiz --version
compiz 0.6.2
rpm -q compiz
compiz-0.6.2-3.fc8

How reproducible:
Always

Cummon! this supposed to be a positive experience! I am seriously considering returning to F-7! I cant use my audio, i cant use compiz - what the ****!? I cant even use my fonts!
Old 11th November 2007, 11:59 PM
Brian1 Offline

Searching here you will find many post if this is your current setup. If running kernel 2.6.23 or greater and using ATI 8.42.3 fglrx then it will not work. Current ATI drivers do not fully work with 2.6.23 kernel branch. If you install a 2.6.22 kernel then you should have no problems. Or for me I have 2.6.23.1 kernel but using ATI 8.40.4 version and DRI and 3D works fine. Just the combination of the 2.6.23 and Ati 8.42.3 does not work yet. From the rumors AMD/ATI are working on this and expect something late this month. Got to give them time only so many hours in a day plus the kernel changes that the kernel team did in 2.6.23. This is one reason why they have slowed release of 2.6.23.2 my guess. You could say they bloched it and not giving others a chance to get a jump on it.

Run these commands to see what you have. Post output
rpm -qa | grep kernel
rpm -qa | grep ati
fglrxinfo

Brian
Old 12th November 2007, 11:33 AM
sptj Offline

Reason found

10x Brian1, but no, i am using Intel it is in the post. Anyway, here is my finding:

Compiz 0.3.6 + (meaning all version above the default for fedora 7) is requiring different schemas, i am using the old user (left from Fedora 5, then 6 then 7) and compiz craches upon the gconf settings, remove them and it will work (again - with Intel!)

Its still a bug, as we expect at least an error message telling us what is wrong, but noooo, we should keep it with no such extension... whatever, Fedora....
Old 12th November 2007, 11:42 AM
sptj Offline

Pulse

By the way to disable the stupid pulse audio alsa is using by default just remove the alsa plugin using rpm/yum. It then works as a charm Just like in F7
Old 12th November 2007, 12:37 PM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sptj
First of all i would like to say that this new release is the worse EVER!
Really bugs me when someone says that this new release is the worst ever!. It's freakin' free and it's usually pretty damn good! If it wasn't for the developers and everyone else involved it wouldn't exist, and I'm sure that most of them do what they do for free, on their own time, gratis! I suppose everyone is entitled to vent about their errors with their distro of choice. I know there's a few posts here started by me where I show my own frustration, but the worst ever? Come on, put you head down and figure it out.
Old 12th November 2007, 11:07 PM
Brian1 Offline

not tried it myself but all distros have their quirks and bugs. The more you understand the distro the better one can resolve the little quirks from update to update. Reading the changelog and release notes reveal alot about what is going on usually.

Brian
Old 13th November 2007, 11:06 AM
sptj Offline

Well, it is my opinion, wanna know why it is?
* from the first boot compiz not working
* from the first boot BigBoard session NOT working (import big-somethingwhatever not found such module, should i go hunt for it? I don't think so)
* from first boot audio is screwed up, why should they make it the default? Why not leaving it as option like they did with compiz for so long?
* from the first boot i don't have my fonts, i have it in my $HOME/.fonts but they cannot be used, great!
* from the first boot ever-so-great NetworkManager is STILL not working, even after this _OH_SO_GREAT_ re-work. It is exactly the same **** as it was before, I use it to retrieve my network setting (cable+dhcp) I hibernate and after the wake the whole system freezes AFTER i activate the network? Funny huh? there is this bug with via-rhine for 3 versions in a row! how much it takes for the _payed_ kernel developers to fix this, hum? It is already reported. Multiple times, it makes a kernel Ooops.

So yes, this is the worse from fedora, at least there was one or two bugs in the previous releases. I believe this rush for new versions and trying to keep it up with Gnome is the reason for not making everything works. For example to include pulse audio by default but not making the panel audio volume applet working with it? How is a user supposed to manage the sound? by starting pavu* or keep it handy all the time?

I have to be pure hearted and confess i wouldn't change fedora for ubuntu or something similar exactly because i know its ups and downs, it is just bugging me when even the installer is not working correctly (it freezes at /sbin/loader workaround exists) and then i cannot go and use my existing users created in previous versions. This is all i want. I can manage my network without NM, I can tweak again my compiz, I can setup my audio back as it was in F7, but WHY should I, isn't fedora supposed to be the "just works" solution?

Just wondering.

I am really and honestly sorry for if i have hurt someone's feelings. I know how hard is to work and sometimes not getting appreciated, I work in IT also. But I believe that there are things in a distro that really should "just work" especially if they were working in a previous release, right? Fedora should aim better, not worse.

This is what i think and this is why i said what i said in the 1st post.
Old 13th November 2007, 06:14 PM
multescugeorge@ Offline

by the way, there are no payed kernel developers.
Give Fedora 8 a month to get more smooth
Old 14th November 2007, 12:55 AM
Brian1 Offline

Sending the Fedora team the bugs you run into helps with getting fixes out.
For now sounds like you may better off at Fedora 7 till all the quirks are out.

For compiz not working is not Fedoras fault. It is issue with the 2.6.23 kernel and ATI drivers. The kernel developers made some minor changes that had to be done to improve portions of the kernel itself. Now ATI had to correct the issue with their drivers. There is only so many hours in a day to do the work. At least ATI should improve since being bought by AMD.

For me I have never had a single distro that did not have something not work right. Just had to do the research and find the fixes.

Brian
Old 14th November 2007, 09:42 AM
sptj Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by multescugeorge@
by the way, there are no payed kernel developers.
Give Fedora 8 a month to get more smooth
Really? So the ppl in RH are not getting payed? Hum..

Yes, this is what I have done for the last 3 releases, i just believed it was safe now to upgrade to 8 without waiting, 1)because i know the distro well and 2) becuase i can handle a few quirks. I did, i am happy now with it, i like stuffs i missed in F7 (not distro specific, just the newer software)

@Brian - for the last time - I am using INTEL, stop repeating it is ATI's fault. And I know it is not fedora's fault either, it is that (IMHO) I don't think a distribution should leave an user figure out by himself why compiz is not working, when the issue is _that_ simple, as old schema files in $HOME/.gconf/apps/compiz . I know compiz is not a top priority, but some _minor_ tweaks could have resolved this.

Anyways thank you for your opinions, good luck and have fun
Old 15th November 2007, 10:07 PM
leigh123linux

Ok I have a fix for the compiz-fusion error in F8

Code:
* Opening CompizConfig context
* No GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap with direct rendering context
... nor with indirect rendering, this isn't going to work!
* Using the GTK Interface
You will need to downgrade xorg-x11-server-Xorg

For i386

Code:
su
wget http://koji.fedoraproject.org/packages/xorg-x11-server/1.3.0.0/9.fc7/i386/xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.3.0.0-9.fc7.i386.rpm
rpm -U --oldpackage xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.3.0.0-9.fc7.i386.rpm

For x86_64

Code:
su
wget http://koji.fedoraproject.org/packages/xorg-x11-server/1.3.0.0/9.fc7/x86_64/xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.3.0.0-9.fc7.x86_64.rpm
rpm -U --oldpackage xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.3.0.0-9.fc7.x86_64.rpm

If this works OK for you you will need to ban xorg-x11-server-Xorg from updating

Code:
su
gedit /etc/yum.conf
and add this line

exclude=xorg-x11-server-Xorg
Old 17th November 2007, 08:09 AM
multescugeorge@ Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sptj
Really? So the ppl in RH are not getting payed? Hum..
the kernel doesn't come from RH people, it comes from independent coders, see www.kernel.org
RH people grab that code and they make sure it works with most computers/architectures supported by RH and then they distribute it to us in a nice RPM format

Tags
compiz, fedora, longer, working