Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th July 2007, 10:59 PM
Gnafu the Great Offline
Gideon Mayhak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN4OldSchool
Sabayon is good, but plauged with the same portage/emerge problems Gentoo is. Just too much damn work for a modern distro, ya'know? Other than that I liked Gentoo, but reisswolf, I ran into the exact same problems you did. I attribute it to lack of gentoo experience but I dont really think I want to gain that experience. I am just a Fedora guy. The Gentoo users can keep Gentoo and I admire them and their distro. just not for me.
I'm running into issues very early on. I'm going to try to fix them, but I'm ready to give up at the drop of a (red ) hat . It's something to learn, but not something to cry over.
Old 17th July 2007, 11:28 PM
techmatt Offline

I still have not got the dam thing to run

Registered Linux user number 433760
Old 18th July 2007, 05:26 AM
joe.pelayo Offline
An ape descendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by techmatt
I still have not got the dam thing to run
Nor me
Debian 9 x86-64.
Old 18th July 2007, 05:55 AM
Gnafu the Great Offline
Gideon Mayhak

Maybe we should just give up .
Old 18th July 2007, 06:37 AM
joe.pelayo Offline
An ape descendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnafu the Great
Maybe we should just give up .
For the moment I've given up, I have work to do. The problem with it is that it constantly needs my attention (I can leave 'unattended' installations of any flavor of Fedora though).

Joe.
Debian 9 x86-64.
Old 18th July 2007, 06:49 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

<WARNING: The following message should be considered as nothing but a rant. This is not intended to turn people off of Hughes.net. When there is no other choice it is a Godsend, so much better than dial up. But...>

Well, I am still downloading the 700MB live CentOS ISO I still dont have a backup server online It has been a couple days. The download started off ok at 120 kbs but petered out pretty quick and due to weather conditions in the sunshine state during rainy season. Do you know that red head sex symbol (?) wannabe that does the TV ads for Hughes.net satellite internet? I hate that woman! No, seriously, I mean with a passion. I dont know why exactly she pisses me off so badly. Drives my wife nuts, that commercial cant even come on and I am growling and talking back to the TV and balling up my fists. I swear, I have never hit a woman before but I want to figuratively slap the tar out of that woman! "Now you too can have high speed broadband! How cool is that?" ARRRGHH! I swear I am going to throw that TV one day! I just got a nice run on that DL, after two days of waiting I managed to get everything EXCEPT the last 30MB in an hour or so! But it petered out again. Yum is dead, my DL is dead, I go to another page and I walk away for 5 minutes while it loads! This is only this bad a few times a year, for the most part Hughes.net is OK. But I still want to slap that woman...Now, let me hit submit and go make a sandwich. Maybe by the time I'm done eating this will have posted. Then it's only another 3 minutes to reach the index page...

</rant: No TV spokeswomen were actually harmed during the creation of this post>
Old 18th July 2007, 07:10 PM
rjstaaf Offline

Geez JN4, I feel for you. We live sort of in a backwoods area here in SC between two towns and our only option for the longest time for TV and Internet access was satellite. BellSouth only recently got DSL into the area so we had DirecWay/Hughes.net for more than 4 years. I generally started larger downloads at night with the hopes they would be done by morning. You have to be careful you don't exceed their FAP (fair access policy) limits as well otherwise they shut your connection down for a period.

EDIT:

Actually it looks like Hughes has modified it's FAP since I left. It looks like they just reduce your speed for up to 24 hours rather than shutting you off completely now. Here is a link to the new FAP, by the way this is a great site for Hughes users.

http://www.copperhead.cc/fap.htm

END EDIT

I am a little surprised though, where in Central Florida are you that you are on Hughes? I have lived in various parts of Central Florida for most of my life from Winter Haven in my younger days to Orlando more recently. We had cable access pretty much everywhere.

Embarrassing myself, one post at a time!
http://community.webshots.com/user/rjstaaf

Last edited by rjstaaf; 18th July 2007 at 07:23 PM.
Old 18th July 2007, 07:19 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline

I am north of Leesburg (which, as you probably know is about 30 miles N of Otown) outside of Lady Lake headed towards Umatilla on the southern fringes of the Ocala National Forest. If I lived in town I would have cable but I am just too far out. Hopefully it wont be long before either cable or DSL, the area is growing, but we are all spread out on 20+ acre lots out here.

edit: 200MB? Sheesh, well, that explains that! That is what is happening, and it explains the good run I just had and now I am down to a trickle again. What a load of BS!

Last edited by JN4OldSchool; 18th July 2007 at 07:28 PM.
Old 18th July 2007, 07:19 PM
Stian1979 Offline

I used to live in remote parts of Norway so I know what it feel's like.

Now thats a distant problem, Taiwan work as a hub betwen asia and usa.

If I want to download something look at the time and if all americans are sleeping I download form a US site.
If the americans are up the japanese are probartly sleeping so I download from there instead.
If the timing is corect I can download the F7 iso in 3 hours.

While I was living in norway a cd tok a day so the 4 fedora cd's tok me a week.
I used to stop the downloads while I was home and only runn them while I was asleep or at work.
I don't miss those times.

Without fedoraforum.org I would still be using Windows

Can annyone borow me some space on a ftp server?
Old 18th July 2007, 08:14 PM
joe.pelayo Offline
An ape descendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stian1979
I used to live in remote parts of Norway so I know what it feel's like.

Now thats a distant problem, Taiwan work as a hub betwen asia and usa.

If I want to download something look at the time and if all americans are sleeping I download form a US site.
If the americans are up the japanese are probartly sleeping so I download from there instead.
If the timing is corect I can download the F7 iso in 3 hours.

While I was living in norway a cd tok a day so the 4 fedora cd's tok me a week.
I used to stop the downloads while I was home and only runn them while I was asleep or at work.
I don't miss those times.
Thats a nice strategy to seek sleep times. However DL problems arise mostly in the ISP's side who restrains bandwidth in all other users sake (I also believe that is BS, they should have a really powerful system instead of being controlling traffic all day).

Joe.
Debian 9 x86-64.
Old 18th July 2007, 09:01 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline

yeah, but the funny thing is they do give leeway. I can usually do 700MB distros in two rounds. That they were 24 hours apart is new to me but that actually makes sense now that I know what is happening. But that last run I did 350MB before it stopped. I have done a full 700MB at one time. So it isnt set in stone, I believe it has to do with their overall traffic at the moment. But it still irks me. I mean, with distro ISO DVDs reaching 3GB these days now you can see why this proves impossible for me and why I fought so hard for a 700MB Fedora install CD. Really, even knowing this "hidden" policy, I still like my sat internet for the most part. It is adequately fast and amazingly it hardly ever goes out during storms, the TV is flakier than the internet. I guess I just need to adapt my ISO habit to their rules. I usually space the downloads out over a couple nights anyway as it bogs me down when I'm trying to surf during the days.
Old 18th July 2007, 09:17 PM
joe.pelayo Offline
An ape descendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN4OldSchool
yeah, but the funny thing is they do give leeway. I can usually do 700MB distros in two rounds. That they were 24 hours apart is new to me but that actually makes sense now that I know what is happening. But that last run I did 350MB before it stopped. I have done a full 700MB at one time. So it isnt set in stone, I believe it has to do with their overall traffic at the moment. But it still irks me. I mean, with distro ISO DVDs reaching 3GB these days now you can see why this proves impossible for me and why I fought so hard for a 700MB Fedora install CD. Really, even knowing this "hidden" policy, I still like my sat internet for the most part. It is adequately fast and amazingly it hardly ever goes out during storms, the TV is flakier than the internet. I guess I just need to adapt my ISO habit to their rules. I usually space the downloads out over a couple nights anyway as it bogs me down when I'm trying to surf during the days.
I remember the good old days (several months ago) when I could download DVD isos at FULL speed with ProZilla! Now I am somewhat locked (similar as your case) but when I asked them what was the problem they did not show me any 'policy', instead they suggested me to use Bittorrent! Morons!

Joe.
Debian 9 x86-64.
Old 18th July 2007, 09:33 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline

no reason to have deleted that last post rjstaaf, I am with you there. My dad has fast cable and it is great. I just wish he wasnt 30 miles from me, but still, he is my DVD ISO source. We are planning a move up to Lynchburg VA in a couple years, cable internet is my FIRST requirement, before anything else!
Old 18th July 2007, 09:39 PM
rjstaaf Offline

Geez you are quick

Lynchburg is a great area. When I was a kid we lived in Blacksburg for a time, my father taught at Virginia Tech.

When our kids get to be college age the wife and I are thinking about moving back to Orlando. We are hoping they might eventually want to go to UCF. Both the kids were born in Orlando.

Embarrassing myself, one post at a time!
http://community.webshots.com/user/rjstaaf

Last edited by rjstaaf; 18th July 2007 at 09:44 PM.
Old 18th July 2007, 10:15 PM
paul matthijsse Offline

Ubuntu 7 (Feisty) here since about two months, after two years of FC 4-5-6 on a daily basis. What I particularly like about Ubu is how it handles the multimedia codecs. After installing Ubu (from a 700 MB iso only) one only has to click on a mp3 or avi file. Then it says: "don't have the codecs for this, do you want me to search for them?". Yes. Then it proposes two gstreamer plugins (dirty and ugly I believe) and you say, Yes install that. Then it says in some countries this is illegal / do you want to continue, Yes of course, and then it is installed. From now on (nearly) all the audio and video works. This takes only a couple of seconds. I love this approach.

Other goodies about Feisty: apt-get / Synaptic is fast, way faster than yum/yumex/pirut. No LVM, thanks heaven. Wacom pen works out of the box, even the right-click button (never could make that working in Fedora). Faster startup and shutdown.

Weaker points of Ubu: Where is my security? In Fedora, especially in v7, one has a very granular control over security settings, this is missing in Ubu. That does not mean by default that Ubu is less secure than Fedora, but perhaps it is, donno exactly. No security problems experienced since the install, though. Suspend works on my new machine (Intel Core Duo), resume does not though (although on my last Athlon64 it worked perfectly, as opposed to Fedora).

And: Where are my services? System-config-services does not exist on Ubu. There is a thing where you can tell that some services must start at boot time, but only a couple of them, like bluetooth and syslog.

Bottomline: two very good (top quality) distro's aimed at two different audiences. For the moment Ubu Feisty 7 is my main distro, aside I use Fedora 7 and Ubu 7 64-bit.

Cheers, Paul.