Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th July 2007, 03:57 AM
lmo Offline

I'm in week 2 of Linux from Scratch. It is very cool. Linux the way you want it.
Boots in less than 30 seconds.
The disk usage is small -- originally 1.5 GB, now up to 2.5 GB due to testing 3 kernels: 2.6.16.38, 2.6.21.6, and 2.6.22.1.

The installation started from a livecd. By carefully following exact complete instructions almost to the letter, there were no unexpected errors. There were some tough spots such as how to get back to where you were after shutting down -- may be best not to shut down until the LFS Book is completed. Then it was on to BLFS (beyond linux from scratch). Then some original ventures like installing XFCE from the graphical installer. This is how to learn how to install linux tarball style.

A lot of patience is required, but for now, I like it so well I may stick with it.

I had been using FC6 which is my next favorite. I was disgruntled with F7, so I tried Centos5. It is much easier to find information about Fedora than Centos, but I want a system I can stick with for a long time once I get it the way I want it. I want full control which is what makes Linux From Scratch attractive. Also tried Mandriva 2007 Spring -- not too bad, but didn't think much of it. Ubuntu -- tried it once and had enough.

Oh, and I've got it set up multi-boot so I can use any of them whenever desired.

Last edited by lmo; 17th July 2007 at 04:24 AM.
Old 17th July 2007, 04:03 AM
Gnafu the Great Offline
Gideon Mayhak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
KateOS was the last one, since it was the only one that would install on that salvage/garbage machine that went down to NC with my son. Not the best or easiest I've ever used, but it served the purpose.
I tried it because of that thread . I'm keeping the ISO handy, just in case .

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmo
I'm in week 2 of Linux from Scratch. It is very cool. Linux the way you want it.
Boots in less than 30 seconds.
The disk usage is small -- originally 1.5 GB, now up to 2.5 GB due to testing 3 kernels: 2.6.16.38, 2.6.21.6, and 2.6.22.1.

The installation started from a livecd. By carefully following exact complete instructions almost to the letter, there were no unexpected errors. There were some tough spots such as how to get back to where you were after shutting down -- may be best not to shut down until the LFS Book is completed. Then it was on to BLFS (beyond linux from scratch). Then some original ventures like installing XFCE from the graphical installer. This is how to learn how to install linux tarball style.

A lot of patience is required, but for now, I like it so well I may stick with it.
I am so tempted to try that, but I really don't think I have the time/patience.
Old 17th July 2007, 04:04 AM
sailor Offline
Administrator

Location: San Antonio, Texas - Home of the Alamo, the "Cradle of Texas Liberty"
I am running Debian 4.0...after giving up on it last month...it's running great this time
Still have FC6 on the lappy and F7 on the main Desktop

I have been a long time dual booter...as of today I have been windowsless for about 3 months

"Still hanging in there "
Old 17th July 2007, 04:20 AM
Plossl Offline

Sailor, Etch is what I've installed again. Kinda missed it, even though I'm in Fedora now and will be almost all the time. I'm tired of distro hopping and have been for some time. I wanted to fill my drive with two distros I know I will always want. VMWare will catch the rest.

I expect I can install months of Etch updates all at once with no trouble. Others which have interested me lately, like Sidux, would probably break with their large updates in that amount of time.
Old 17th July 2007, 04:30 AM
sailor Offline
Administrator

Location: San Antonio, Texas - Home of the Alamo, the "Cradle of Texas Liberty"
Yup...having the 2 top distros(IMO) makes sense..

"Still hanging in there "
Old 17th July 2007, 05:13 AM
Stian1979 Offline

I replugged my old xandros3 a few days ago. Everything worked out of the box except wmv. I got it on a old disk I donæt use annymore so I pluged it in to do download fedora7 after I found out it would not install from cd-rom on that computer. Installed fedora from the slave disk instead.

I downloaded Berry linux, seams things like mp3 work out of the box and also mount your fat automaticly. It has a bootsplash called isplash witch can display a picture behind the text like gensplash and bootsplash. Sadly it some cute pictures off berrys in the background and liik like pictures from the bock Hello Kitty go to pick berrys. It made me a litle sick just like after eating too mutch sugar so if I was sticking with it I would do alot of change. Berry is based on fedora7 so it alos have the same ishue with my ati mobilety so I could only get to the desktop in safe mode.

I downloaded gentoos and it worked fine until it was going to start the xserver, then it just did not go anny futher so I just left it in my cd colection and booted with fedora for the last 24hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
Fedora will install as LVM unless you choose ext3 or something else,
What is LVM annyway?
I used automatic instalation so far and I gotsom volumgroup thing.

on my last install I made seperate home and / partisjons and deleted the LVM stuff.
What is it for annyway?

Without fedoraforum.org I would still be using Windows

Can annyone borow me some space on a ftp server?
Old 17th July 2007, 06:31 AM
kathera Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
It sure is, but you'll have to do a bit of googling since I believe slack still uses LILO as a bootloader, while Fedora and most others are now using Grub. Fedora will install as LVM unless you choose ext3 or something else, and LILO doesn't work well with LVM, if at all, so you might want to look into how you'll set up your bootloader.
oh well I might have to hold off on fedora, since the CD's I have are to small for the image, thats why I kept getting error after error when burning it. so I am going to try slackware first.
Old 17th July 2007, 07:10 AM
joe.pelayo Offline
An ape descendant

Hello everybody.

I was wondering where were Fedora Big Guys and I found this thread

In this days I only have F7 in my main desktop (I decided to wait the end of the ATI problem until F7 reaches my laptop) and somehow I miss it (right now I am posting from my main deskop ). Since I lost my FC6 system (laptop) I installed Debian Etch and I am kinda experimenting with it. I must say it is quite robust and I feel really comfortable with it. The fact that it is the stable version means that I don't have to deal with updates that can break my system, which is nice and boring at the same time.

I will continue practicing with Debian and will install it in my secondary desktop (hope it runs with 256MB) as a secure/stable server so I can confidently store my files there, for if I can go to Spain for my PhD it wouldn't be so outdated when I return (considering the long Debian release cycles).

In total I have used/experimented with SUSE 9 & 11, Mandrake 10 & 10.1, Mandriva 2006 & 2007 & 2007 AMD64, PCLinuxOS 2007 RC1 & RC2 & RC4 & Final, Sabayon 3.3, PCBSD 1.0 (does this count?), Ubuntu 6.06 & 6.10 & 7.04, Debian 4.0, DSL (don't remember the version), Knopix, Red Hat Linux 9, CentOS 5, Fedora Core 5 & 6, and Fedora 7 (this last one is the best). I have tried several times to install Gentoo but have never succeeded (not enough time to troubleshoot).

Cheers.
Joe.
Debian 9 x86-64.
Old 17th July 2007, 08:13 AM
Wayne

I've given up messing around with distros, except live ones. I'm either getting older or lazier or maybe both. When FC6 was released I couldn't wait to get it installed but with F7 it took me a while to get round to it! I was holding off as long as possible. Unless something drastic happens and Fedora stops working for me it's a keeper here.

Wayne
Old 17th July 2007, 08:24 AM
JeffZZZ Offline

I installed Mandriva PLF style last month and fedora 7 two days ago. I like RPM's and "service" commands. Bought rh7 in or about 2001. Bought mandrake 9 box set the next year? Did redhat develop the "service" command set or someone else. Mandriva stopped using lilo, but it always gave you a choice.

JeffZZZ
Old 17th July 2007, 09:28 AM
John the train Offline
Techno-Womble - Retired Community Manager

I had FC6 running smoothly until I managed to bork it , and F7 seems to have a jinx for me - a ggod Live CD doesn't like something about my hardware, I only discovered I'd got a bad DL or burn on the DVD after I'd deleted the ISO..
Anyway, I'm using SAM Linux for now, a few problems, but my Fedora experience helped solve those. It's a nice distro, worth bearing in mind for a newcomer to Linux as it has things like RealPlayer pre-installed and working out of the box. I've been playing with Grafpup, which is oriented to the graphics community, and may do a HD install on my laptop sometime. I'd be using it mainly to check and edit digital images, but it looks as if it would suit anyone producing a club/society newsletter, as it includes Scribus.
I'm sternly resisting the temptation to burn various other distros that I've picked up on cover discs!
Old 17th July 2007, 09:42 AM
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffZZZ
I installed Mandriva PLF style last month and fedora 7 two days ago. I like RPM's and "service" commands. Bought rh7 in or about 2001. Bought mandrake 9 box set the next year? Did redhat develop the "service" command set or someone else. Mandriva stopped using lilo, but it always gave you a choice.

JeffZZZ
Mandriva (Then Mandrake) was my first distro. It's (was) great for a total newbie to get into Linux but after a while you want to move to something with a bit more of a challenge. That and at the time Mandriva was always a version or two behind with Gnome (KDE based distro) These days they seem to be keeping up but I don't think I'll go back

Wayne
Old 17th July 2007, 10:48 AM
rpstitz Offline

I've tried Libranet Debian and then FC6. I never got Libranet working to satisfaction, and FC6 is great.

I'm looking for a good distro to put on my parents' computer that is a bit easier to set-up, because I live an hour away from my parents and can only play computer tech on weekends. I'm thinking of Ubuntu, but still looking. For now, they have FC6 and W98 dual boot, and it's working out so far. It took about 12 hours one day to install FC6, set-up kppp, and give yum a good workout downloading Firefox 2.0.0.3, JRE and a host of plug-ins. As soon as my aunts visit my parents and see FC6, they'll probably want it (just to say they have it) and I'll be expected to comply. I would really like to have a distro that works "out of the box" to use for relatives.
Richard P Stitz - Linux user #447562

If you are experiencing problems, please consider filing a bug report. Without these reports, it is unlikely that the cause of your problem will be addressed by the developers.
Old 17th July 2007, 10:59 AM
a_small_cake Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpstitz
I would really like to have a distro that works "out of the box" to use for relatives.
IMHO better choice is a distro which is damn stable even if you have to set it up manually, add repos etc. It is better to spend few hours and then to have few years without problems than use some kind of all-in-one distro that will brake every two days.
Old 17th July 2007, 12:38 PM
fvs Offline

I've used quite a lot of distros, I'm using Fedora 7 on my primary partition and Debian Etch on my secondary, I like them both, I've bounced around with Slackware which was also good, but I'm not a fan of KDE which seems bloated. I'm using wine in my distros and trying to see which is more compatible with it. Also like Linux/Mint.
Love Linux.