Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th September 2017, 11:53 AM
yellowsubmarine Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Why doesnt flash work?

Hi Guys,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ shows flash video content, however when I clicked on the adobe download link and allowed the software manager to installed flash, it still says i need to either enable it in the browser or install it. When searching around firefox preferences and other menus, I cant see any enable flash settings, any ideas?

thanks in advance!
Old 9th September 2017, 03:02 PM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Why doesnt flash work?

You'd go in Tools -> Add-ons -> Plugins and set it to "Always Activate"

If it's not there, then restart Firefox, if still not there. Remove the file ~/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/pluginreg.dat and restart firefox

Also, confirm the package that got installed is "flash-plugin" from Adobe's repo
Old 9th September 2017, 03:32 PM
yellowsubmarine Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
You'd go in Tools -> Add-ons -> Plugins and set it to "Always Activate"

If it's not there, then restart Firefox, if still not there. Remove the file ~/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/pluginreg.dat and restart firefox

Also, confirm the package that got installed is "flash-plugin" from Adobe's repo
Indeed its not there, i installed the file from adobes own website, it downloaded then installed, it didn't throw any fail error messages. I don't know where the file is you are referring to, which folder would it be in?

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

Wait a minute, I think I already installed a flash last week, why is the above site not playing video then but others, which I KNOW are using flash, unlike youtube, are?
Old 9th September 2017, 04:02 PM
TruboXL Offline

linuxfirefox

and remember to symlink the flash lib to ~/.mozilla/plugins folder
if in some cases don't work
Old 9th September 2017, 04:43 PM
marko Offline

unknownfirefox

yellowsubmarine

I gave the path in post 2, ~ in linux means home directory, so in your home dir
Look for .mozilla and go down from there using the path in post 2
Old 9th September 2017, 05:18 PM
yellowsubmarine Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

ok found the file, deleted it, the video still wont play? Are you able to assist with previous query, why does the weather site ask for flash yet the other sites that i needed flash for, and installed it for, does not?
Old 9th September 2017, 05:19 PM
marko Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsubmarine View Post

Wait a minute, I think I already installed a flash last week, why is the above site not playing video then but others, which I KNOW are using flash, unlike youtube, are?
there's several ways

1) the problem website is coded to insist on the very latest version of flash, windows tends to get the flash plugin sooner so the linux one might be behind. So the remote server refuses to play, sometimes they don't have the coding in place to show you why. Some will show an warning page asking you to update flash.
2) some websites are coded to simply reject Linux or anything not windows, sometimes you can fake passed that by using a spoofed user agent like with the User Agent Switcher plugin
3) Maybe HTML5 video isn't fully set up and the web site is really trying to use html5 video but you're incorrectly assuming the problem is broken flash. You seem to have confirmed html5 is working on other sites? Try youtube.com/html5 and make sure all the blue check marks show in the "What does this browser support?" section
Old 10th September 2017, 09:27 AM
AlexTheoto Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Just in case, please check if your flash is functional
Old 10th September 2017, 08:21 PM
yellowsubmarine Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

well I just missed out on winning an item on ebay because it seemed to take forever for the computer to make the bid, is this linux related? I never had such issues on windows, I mean 10 seconds is a huge amount of time to bid on something!
Old 10th September 2017, 09:14 PM
marko Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

> I mean 10 seconds is a huge amount of time to bid on something!

Make sure you have ipv6 disabled? If using NetworkManager, then in the widget for that in the desktop, set the IPv6 tab so that ipv6 is "Ignored"

If this is a problem, Firefox might be slow, also go into Firefox's "about:config" page and set this: network.dns.disableIPv6 true
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170910_161716.png
Views:	6
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	27197  

Last edited by marko; 10th September 2017 at 09:20 PM.

Tags
flash, work