Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th March 2006, 09:03 PM
Mtnear Offline

Fedora Websites and Representation...

When I go to www.distrowatch.com from time to time to check out the latest goings on in the Linux distro world I always think about how the Fedora links direct you to the fedora.redhat.com website, and just how bland that website is. I know that obviously it is drawing someone to the website referring to distrowatch's stats, but I've always felt that it really doesn't do much to promote the distro.

Maybe this is just a plug for fedoraforum.org, but I honestly got more interested in the distro when I began visiting the site and seeing the huge amount of interaction and information on the forums from the community of users. The information and answers that I've received through the forums has contributed the most to my fedora and linux knowledge, and I think it does a great job of promoting fedora to the casual user who wants to learn more.

I was thinking about this topic this week as I noticed the new fedoraproject.org site. As I pulled up that site to look at it I had the same reaction to the fedora.redhat.com site. Boring. Fedoraforum.org should simply be the official site for fedora.
Registered Linux User # 424679 | Registered Ubuntu User # 5980
Old 13th March 2006, 09:12 PM
paul matthijsse Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnear
The information and answers that I've received through the forums has contributed the most to my fedora and linux knowledge, and I think it does a great job of promoting fedora to the casual user who wants to learn more.
I agree. Good idea to try to make this site the living heart of fedora core. Not for (self) promotion of this site, but it really turns out to be very handy to have all these knowledgeable people around. Thanks to all from the French countryside (and only since shortly equiped with a 5 Mbps line)!

Cheers, Paul.
Old 13th March 2006, 09:39 PM
William Haller Offline

I agree as well. Most of the official RedHat sites seem to be mostly content free or just reproduce the same information in different formats.

But it would be nice if the main page of fedoraforum.org didn't offend Konqueror. Every reload causes a Connection to host fedoraforum.org is broken pop-up to appear. From what I've seen from other sites, this happens when the original page redirects to another domain to actually feed its content. That might not be the case here, but is is very annoying.

Additionally, when you do a search of the site using Konqueror, it says it is trying to load the results in the progress bar (Retrieving 44.3 kB from fedoraforum.org) , but they never complete until you select some other link. Then you see the other link's information and next the previous load of your search query finishes and you get to see your actual search results.

A similar two step happens with the login process. You hit the login button, but you never get the update for the login unless you select some other link first. This is admittedly using a kde-redhat version of the RPMs, and the pristine Fedora RPMs may not exhibit this problem, but it is annoying, nonetheless. Of course, there are many other browsers that could be used, but why should that be necessary?

A report on the connection issue was made last July. The suggestion was to try www.fedoraforum.org. Both exhibit the same problems with the Connection pop-up.
Old 14th March 2006, 03:49 AM
Jman Offline

There is rumors of making http://fedoraproject.org/ the official site. The larger number of contributors and quick updates make it better for tracking the fast development process.