Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th March 2017, 08:21 PM
binarynut Offline

linuxchrome
Virtual Box ??

Is Virtual Box part of Fedora Repos ?

How is it listed in Fedora 25 ?

Is there a Howto on how to install Windows 7 in Fedora?

I have a Windows7.ISO , will that work when I install Windows?
Old 9th March 2017, 08:51 PM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Virtual Box ??

2 days ago I had some problems with the dependencies of Virtualbox and its extension pack.

The best way to install it is to go to https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
then first download the VirtualBox 5.1.16 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack (click on all supported platforms, and save that file)
then after that, click above on Linux Distributions, and choose the one for you.

Once done, open a terminal, and as root:

dnf install VirtualBox-5.1-5.........rpm

Once its installed, you will need to add yourself to the "vboxusers" group (file /etc/group at the bottom)
If you don't do that, then the extension pack and the guest additions, (to get accelerated graphics working), won't work.

So, once you have added yourself to the group, reboot
then open Virtualbox, and under File -> Preferences -> Extensions , click on the small icon on the right to "+" (add) , the Extension pack, which should be where you downloaded it.

Once done, then you're ready to roll, and you can pretty much install any OS under that. I got Xenix, Centos, WinXP, Win7, QNX, Solaris, older Fedoras, etc etc.
Old 10th March 2017, 12:15 AM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Oh, also, you may need the kernel-devel , dkms, and gcc packages, as I believe vbox needs to build its own module , but don't quote me on that, it maybe old news....
Old 10th March 2017, 12:26 AM
dd_wizard Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

You can also install an Oracle repo for the main rpm package. That way, you get updates as soon as they are released by Oracle. You need to download and install the expansion pack manually whenever the main rpm is updated, however. This is the method I'm using.

dd_wizard
Old 10th March 2017, 03:13 AM
Doug G Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox

Ts there some reason not to use the VirtualBox packages in rpmfusion? The couple times I've played with virtualbox I just used the repos to install it. I decided back when to use KVM/QEMU for virtualization, and it seems you can't have both KVM and VBox installed on the same machine.
Old 10th March 2017, 10:10 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Is Virtual Box part of Fedora Repos ? No it's proprietary code. It is available from RPM Fusion or directly from Oracle

How is it listed in Fedora 25 ? It isn't unless you have added the RPM Fusion repositories

Is there a Howto on how to install Windows 7 in Fedora? The same method for running any Virtual Machine from with VirtualBox applies. VirtualBox has a step by step wizard that will get you up and running. There is a pre-designed template for all supported Windows OS. If in doubt, refer to VirtualBox instructions

I have a Windows7.ISO , will that work when I install Windows? Long term that depends on the type of ISO and the product activation key it requires, for a couple of days until windows requires activation any ISO version will work

OEM product keys can't be used to activate virtual machine installations as they are non-transferable from the physical hardware they were supplied with, check the EULA that came with your copy of Windows for full details
Old 10th March 2017, 11:29 AM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

@dd_wizard
@Doug
@antikythera

As I said: "2 days ago I had some problems with the dependencies of Virtualbox and its extension pack."

it's not a joke. There truly was an interesting issue there. When I tried installing the extension pack from rpmfusion , it deinstalled vbox, and viceversa. Ergo, I offered our colleague a way forward to solve his immediate need without passing through the same headache I had.
Old 10th March 2017, 11:34 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobx001 View Post
@dd_wizard
@Doug
@antikythera

As I said: "2 days ago I had some problems with the dependencies of Virtualbox and its extension pack."

it's not a joke. There truly was an interesting issue there. When I tried installing the extension pack from rpmfusion , it deinstalled vbox, and viceversa. Ergo, I offered our colleague a way forward to solve his immediate need without passing through the same headache I had.
I wasn't disputing what you posted

Tags
box, virtual