Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th March 2017, 03:15 PM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
GNOME has become a slow dog

I just installed FC25 on an older (2007) Mini-PC I have, an Asus Nova P1 , and I have to say,

jesus lord ! what a DOG.

I could not even run firefox, it would just lock up the whole PC, my mouse would only respond after 10 second or so, and only appear on random screen locations.

So, I managed to get into a terminal:

su -
vi /etc/selinux/config , change options to disabled
reboot
go into terminal again
su -
yum group install "Xfce Desktop"
yum install lxdm
systemctl disable gdm.service
systemctl enable lxdm.service
systemctl enable sshd.service

reboot
chose Xfce from the login meny

Halleluyahh !! I have a working PC again ! what a relief !

I don't know what's gotten into the Gnome guys, I think it's the gnome shell, or maybe gdm, but they absolutely make everything DOG-SLOW, and that's *not* how Linux should be.
right ?
Old 7th March 2017, 05:37 PM
flyingdutchman Offline

macosfirefox
Re: GNOME has become a slow dog

I'm sorry to say, but if you want a usably fast system, then you need XFCE or KDE. The Gnome Linux distros have lost their marbles.
Old 7th March 2017, 05:57 PM
Dutchy Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Yes, gnome-shell has become an unstable dog-slow piece of unusable crap, but hey it looks nice and you can now create and look up recipes. Gotta set priorities right?

I am this close to switch to XFCE after using Gnome 3 since its incarnation, but I still have a few gripes with it:
- way too much stuff to configure after installation (instead of installing some extensions)
- no shortcut to move windows to other screens
- no integrated music player control as far as I know

It really is a shame because gnome was very close to being really great but I just don't see it happening any more, not with all the stupid design choices they keep making and their inability to produce stuff that is needed and that actually works. Gnome now simply is a polished disintegrating turd.
Old 7th March 2017, 06:13 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

windows_7chrome

I've been happily using LXDE for a few years now. It seems that I have only a small percentage of the every day issues that others are reporting.
Old 7th March 2017, 06:46 PM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennzo View Post
I've been happily using LXDE for a few years now. It seems that I have only a small percentage of the every day issues that others are reporting.

LXDE is cool, similar to Xfce in many aspects, but in Xfce I have more "Appearance" control, and since I do mostly programming work, and always in the dark, then I like the way it lets the whole interface be dark, without sudden "oh my gosh what just hit me" bright flashes.

One plus that LXDM has over all other Managers is its ability to "stay hidden" when for example running a remote PC connected directly to the TV, via synergy, and running mplayer in full screen mode. Usually then, with all other display managers, when the mouse leaves the TV screen, the "panel" suddenly appears, and even if it's in auto-hide mode, you still get a few lines somewhere. But, that does not happen with LXDM.

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman View Post
I'm sorry to say, but if you want a usably fast system, then you need XFCE or KDE. The Gnome Linux distros have lost their marbles.
I am fully Xfce since many years. I tried KDE on and off, but it's got way to many gadgets, and when something odd happens, like accidentally dragging an open app from its menubar onto the Panel (which for a power user could happen once / day or so), suddenly you are out of ram, out of swap space, out of disk space, and out of a PC.
Old 8th March 2017, 05:35 AM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorachrome

I must be the exception. Gnome runs just fine on my laptop and my desktop.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 8th March 2017, 09:30 AM
JONOR Offline

linuxfedorachrome

Gnome 3 runs mostly fine for me too on hardware more recent than a ten year old Mini-PC, but i don't game or use virtualisation apps. Would never describe it as fast though
Slow dog it is.
Just had a major mess up pass through almost as this is typed, or perhaps it was a lure for enabling a testing-repo.
Be interested to hear from any active Enlightenment users and their findings on F25.
Yeah, if that ain't click bait for a certain Dan..g...g....g you-know-who then i don't know what is

Last edited by JONOR; 8th March 2017 at 11:45 PM.
Old 8th March 2017, 10:07 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsatenstein View Post
I must be the exception. Gnome runs just fine on my laptop and my desktop.
It all rather depends on a few critical factors regardless of the system's age. Processor speed, how many cores it has, amount of RAM installed, GPU type and how much dedicated and/or shared system memory it has. If one or more of these requirements is left wanting then GNOME 3 can run slow as molasses but then so can Cinnamon too.
Old 8th March 2017, 12:50 PM
Dutchy Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOR View Post
Gnome 3 runs mostly fine for me too on hardware more recent than a ten year old Mini-PC, but i don't game or use virtualisation apps. Would never describe it as fast though
Slow dog it is.
Just had a major mess up pass through almost as this is typed, or perhaps it was a lure for enabling a testing-repo.
Be interested to hear from any active Enlightenment users and their findings on F25.
Yeah, if that ain't click bait for a certain Dan..g...g....g you-know-who than i don't know what is
Try using gnome for longer than a day at a time. Even better, try it using the wayland session.
Old 8th March 2017, 01:12 PM
JONOR Offline

linuxfedorachrome

Wayland will have to wait a bit longer, need GIMP and Shutter working.
Old 8th March 2017, 11:39 PM
tankist02 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Gnome 3 is resource-hungry, but when it is satisfied it provides a really smooth experience, especially with Wayland. I used to always have video tearing on highly dynamic scenes in HD videos. I tried a lot of recipes which didn't help much until I tried Gnome + Wayland on F25.
Old 9th March 2017, 02:50 AM
ElderSnake Offline

unknownfirefox

I must be in the minority, but I really like GNOME these days, even though I wasn't a fan at first. It also runs nice and snappy on my modernish machines. I wouldn't dream of running it on older hardware hardware, but that's why we have lightweight environments available.

Wayland and GNOME especially is a God send for me. I hated, HATED dealing with screen tearing in videos over the years. Which some compositors could patch over the cracks, as it were, but it never seemed perfect in all cases. Wayland makes everything smooth and consistent though.

I can understand GNOME not being everyone's cup of tea though, but we have alternative environments and window managers aplenty. But I would say if GNOME is helping to push the likes of Wayland along, it can only be a good thing, even if one chooses not to use it.
Old 9th March 2017, 10:05 AM
Dutchy Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankist02 View Post
Gnome 3 is resource-hungry, but when it is satisfied it provides a really smooth experience, especially with Wayland. [...]
Until you use it for longer than a day and one of the many many never addressed memory leaks starts biting you. Especially when you enhance it with a couple of extension (eg dash to dock) this will be noticeable and eventually leads to teeth gnashing and head desking. Then you need to replace the session which you can't on wayland.
Old 9th March 2017, 10:36 AM
Dutchy Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderSnake View Post
[...]

I can understand GNOME not being everyone's cup of tea though, but we have alternative environments and window managers aplenty. But I would say if GNOME is helping to push the likes of Wayland along, it can only be a good thing, even if one chooses not to use it.
True, but let's face reality, at this point Gnome can no longer be considered a stable DE viable for every day use, it looks more like an eternal tech demo. It has regressed too much over its lifetime and there seems to be no vision nor will left to fix the fundamental problems of the DE and the way it is developed. The shell seems to be on life support and the devs only care about their little apps and the incorporation of some new tech that makes the whole thing perform worse and worse (ie wayland) because they built everything in a stupid unsustainable way (single process, single threaded, javascript, etc.).

They really need to go back to fix the fundamental flaws with the architecture and the way it is being developed. Stop removing features that work because they are not discoverable (nautilus accels) before you have a working alternative. The trainwreck that gnome has become smells like a really bad decision process and prioritisation all caused by absence of good leadership. If you can't introduce new tested functionality and you can't produce a new stable release every 6 months then don't.

Just imagine microsoft presented something like this, then kept regressing instead of fixing it, the open sourcers would destroy them. You can say what you want about their user-hostile stance after Windows 7 but at least their shell isn't littered with memory leaks, doesn't freeze inexplicably nor blow your session away when you move the mouse in the wrong way or launch the wrong application.
Old 9th March 2017, 10:08 PM
ElderSnake Offline

unknownfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
True, but let's face reality, at this point Gnome can no longer be considered a stable DE viable for every day use, it looks more like an eternal tech demo. It has regressed too much over its lifetime and there seems to be no vision nor will left to fix the fundamental problems of the DE and the way it is developed. The shell seems to be on life support and the devs only care about their little apps and the incorporation of some new tech that makes the whole thing perform worse and worse (ie wayland) because they built everything in a stupid unsustainable way (single process, single threaded, javascript, etc.).

They really need to go back to fix the fundamental flaws with the architecture and the way it is being developed. Stop removing features that work because they are not discoverable (nautilus accels) before you have a working alternative. The trainwreck that gnome has become smells like a really bad decision process and prioritisation all caused by absence of good leadership. If you can't introduce new tested functionality and you can't produce a new stable release every 6 months then don't.

Just imagine microsoft presented something like this, then kept regressing instead of fixing it, the open sourcers would destroy them. You can say what you want about their user-hostile stance after Windows 7 but at least their shell isn't littered with memory leaks, doesn't freeze inexplicably nor blow your session away when you move the mouse in the wrong way or launch the wrong application.
It sounds like you're describing a pretty old version of GNOME shell, as I used to have some of those problems years ago, but it runs beautifully now. And that's with long running uptimes.

The biggest issues of used to have with GNOME shell was running it on proprietary NVIDIA drivers, where it would memory leak like crazy and be sluggish as hell. But then I've never had a great desktop experience with NVIDIA, which is why I now run amdgpu.

No, for users such as myself, GNOME is now one of the most stable, snappy and smooth experiences, but I guess there will always be exceptions.

Edit : in saying that, I was never a fan of the Javascript driven architecture etc either. But it seems to work well generally these days I guess I'll use it til it breaks one day or becomes horribly slow compared to its competitors.

Last edited by ElderSnake; 9th March 2017 at 10:37 PM.

Tags
dog, gnome, slow