Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th February 2017, 07:03 PM
epedrego Offline

windows_7firefox
livecd/usb for Fedora 23

Hello All,

Newby here. I just set up my machine as an HDA. I am running fedora 23 server. I configured an external drive to auto mount upon boot up, but after a restart my HDA is not working properly. I can ping it, but I cant get into it. I need to boot from a livecd/usb, but I have a couple issues. I can't seem to find where to create live media from a windows computer for fedora 23. Also, once I get my media set up, what is the process after that to get to my fstab file?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've looked all over and cant find a comprehensive how-to for this issue.

Thanks,
Ed
Old 7th February 2017, 08:03 PM
nomadewolf Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Re: livecd/usb for Fedora 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by epedrego View Post
Hello All,

Newby here. I just set up my machine as an HDA. I am running fedora 23 server. I configured an external drive to auto mount upon boot up, but after a restart my HDA is not working properly. I can ping it, but I cant get into it. I need to boot from a livecd/usb, but I have a couple issues. I can't seem to find where to create live media from a windows computer for fedora 23. Also, once I get my media set up, what is the process after that to get to my fstab file?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've looked all over and cant find a comprehensive how-to for this issue.

Thanks,
Ed
Either i'm getting this wrong, or you can't boot from a LiveCD and have custom settings for it.
Once you shutdown the machine all changes you made are discrded...
Am i missing something?
Old 8th February 2017, 05:08 AM
kurtdriver Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Why not install to the external drive? USB keys have short lives, I would go with the External drive. Partition it with GParted and install to one of the partitions. Fstab is just a file it's address is /etc/fstab oprn it with any text editor. I like jed,but any t
ext editor will do. You will need to be root to edit that file.

Last edited by kurtdriver; 8th February 2017 at 05:08 AM. Reason: speling, as usual.
Old 8th February 2017, 09:34 AM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxubuntuchrome

moved to EOL
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 8th February 2017, 06:10 PM
epedrego Offline

windows_7firefox

My problem is that I tried to mount the external drive to use as a backup to my HDA and upon reboot I could not get into the system at all. Currently, I do not have any way of getting in to correct the fstab file to get things up and running again.

I just created a live usb and will try it tonight, but I'm not sure what to do beyond inserting the usb and booting my HDA. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by epedrego; 8th February 2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10th February 2017, 09:50 PM
epedrego Offline

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
moved to EOL
Hi Bob, I understand why this was moved, but I don't think this thread is getting any visibility in this part of the forum. Can this be moved back until its solved?
Old 11th February 2017, 05:40 AM
kurtdriver Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

After booting from the USB key, you can edit the file, you'll still need to be root. mount the partition with your root filesystem on it and then navigate to it's /etc/fstab, probably /run/media/user/UUID/etc/fstab

Tags
fedora, livecd or usb