Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Other Versions > EOL (End Of Life) Versions
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

EOL (End Of Life) Versions This is a Forum to discuss problems and workarounds for versions of Fedora that have passed End of Life.

Old 28th January 2014, 08:38 PM
Oakems Offline

linuxfirefox
Can I reinstall Fedora 16 with the live same DVD and keep all my stuff?

Ello, folks... I believe the title says it all! Can I reinstall Fedora with the same DVD (as if it were an upgrade) and keep all my files and data? I have the live DVD, which should have all the necessary files for the OS, but is there a way of reinstalling and keeping my current data? I have Googled this quite a bit but I just get upgrades from one version to another...

Basically, my hard drive is crapping out... and I don't have the bandwidth to reinstall to a current version of Fedora (which would be advisable), so I'm left with not many options...

When I play certain files, my desktop disappears, and all functions disappear, so I end up having to hard reset the laptop... Maybe there's no coming back from this? Although, when I first boot into Fedora I'm able to play these files. So, maybe the infostructure is a bit mashed and not the files? Plus, if I don't play files from the hard drive everything runs (fairly) swimmingly, so...

I'm unsure... and that's why I'd like to draw on the wealth of expertise of this place and the people who inhabit it.

What do you think? Any help greatly appreciated...
Old 28th January 2014, 08:42 PM
Finalzone Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox
Re: Can I reinstall Fedora 16 with the live same DVD and keep all my stuff?

To preserve your files and data, make sure to set up a /home partition first. In addition, make sure to backup your files and if you like to preserve you config located on /etc.
Old 28th January 2014, 11:07 PM
Oakems Offline

linuxfirefox

Okay, I may have an external hard drive that I could use to back-up all my data... but would that include all the programmes that I've installed as well? (I know it'd probably include the .config files for said applications, but I'd still have to download those programmes again, right?)

It's just, this laptop has worked for (to be reasonable) a long time considering it's pretty much done for... and, being of the persuasion of poverty, I don't have the luxury of affording a new laptop... but! Every time I reinstall Fedora, this little chappy has worked for at least a year without any wrongdoings! I know this time will get shorter and shorter... Although, within a year I'm hoping to be in a much more prosperous situation!! So, it will merely be a case of saving much needed data, and not bandwidth!

I was unsure about how Fedora deals with upgrades... I was kinda hoping that you could fool Fedora 16 into upgrading itself, and keeping all data in tact, and simply renewing the deadness of the hard drive!

(I know this is a bit far-fetched... but Linux has powers that seem far-fetched to the most experienced microsuft users, so...)

Anyways, thank you very much for your reply... It is very much appreciated.
Old 28th January 2014, 11:21 PM
Finalzone Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

What does /var/cache/yum/ directory said on your laptop? Yum, the package manager, store packages on that location that will help you preserve your program.

I think you are facing a gradual hardware failure on your laptop which will lead you buy another one.
Old 28th January 2014, 11:29 PM
sea Offline
"Shells" (of a sub world)

linuxfirefox

If you have installed software only using yum, you might try:

Code:
yum list installed > allmyprogs.txt
Save that file, and then on the new install simply (as root):
Code:
yum install $(cat allmyprogs.txt)
Hope this helps

Tags
dvd, fedora, live, reinstall, stuff