Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th March 2017, 07:41 AM
jeffnz Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
ImageUSB versus unetbootin and Live Linux USB Creator

Recently I was told to create installation images using ImageUSB. Apparently using Live Linux USB Creator or unetbootin just adds extra junk that isn't needed - all I need is supposedly a binary copy onto the flash drive. Which tool is best for installing Fedora?
Old 14th March 2017, 08:11 AM
nsnbm Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: ImageUSB versus unetbootin and Live Linux USB Creator

On the link the advice was cp or dd ... The most reliable I've found is dd.
Old 14th March 2017, 09:21 AM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

My 0.02$:

first clean the flash drive , delete all partitions, then create one "msdos" single partition on it (if its less than 64gb of course)

then use dd if=fedora.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M

that has worked for me before exactly.
However, lately I use mediawriter, even though initially it had some GTK issues.
Old 14th March 2017, 09:51 AM
jeffnz Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

bs=1M ... blocksize=1 megabyte? That's a pretty ridiculous size, I use 8GB and 16GB flash drives.

Anyway, next time I'll give DD a go. Heck I might even put Fedora 25 LXDE/XFCE on my netbook right now.
Old 14th March 2017, 11:20 AM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnz View Post
bs=1M ... blocksize=1 megabyte? That's a pretty ridiculous size, I use 8GB and 16GB flash drives.

Anyway, next time I'll give DD a go. Heck I might even put Fedora 25 LXDE/XFCE on my netbook right now.
bs=1M means every time it writes, it writes 1M, then it writes again. I found that to be a good number, if you don't specify bs= then it'll do it byte by byte, which will take a zillion hours. hehe.
Old 14th March 2017, 04:16 PM
flyingdutchman Offline

macosfirefox

There is no need to format the device before using dd. It will be overwritten, so any formatting is just a waste of time.
Old 14th March 2017, 10:06 PM
jeffnz Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman View Post
There is no need to format the device before using dd. It will be overwritten, so any formatting is just a waste of time.
That is quite funny because some tools (even within Linux) say that you need fat32 on your flash drive.
Old 15th March 2017, 01:10 AM
nsnbm Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
That is quite funny because some tools (even within Linux) say that you need fat32 on your flash drive.
usbs formatted with fat allows them to be readable across platforms. They usually come formatted that way in any case when you buy them, so just using dd over that just works. After you've used the iso on the usb, you can reclaim the usb by reformatting it with fat or ext4 or whatever filesystem you like.
Old 15th March 2017, 01:17 AM
lsatenstein Online

linuxfedorafirefox

The ISO image is an image of an installation on a DVD. The dd command allows one to transfer that image to a flash drive

sudo dd if=iso of=/dev/target bs=1M && sync

I add the sync for one reason. dd caches it's input, and writes out from the cache. If you pull the flashdrive out before the dd cache has been transferred, your flashdrive iso image will be corrupted. I use sync to force the cache to be immediately flushed. (Flushing can take up to one or two minutes, depending on system busy)

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 15th March 2017, 02:21 AM
smr54 Online

linuxfirefox

I suspect that anything saying you need fat32 on the drive is a tool like Unetbootin. At any rate, as was said, if using dd there is no need to format the drive because dd will do a direct copy of the image to the drive.

Some tools, not only Unetbootin, may require a fat32 file system to work (and others, if I remember correctly, at least want an ext2, 3, or 4 system) but if using dd, it's not necessary.
Old 15th March 2017, 03:05 AM
lsatenstein Online

linuxfedorafirefox

The negative part of using dd is that the flashdrive is created with exactly 4 partitions, and with no way to use the unused space on the flashdrive. Often that unusable space amounts to 4 gig of an 8 gig flash drive. Fedora needs to look at the competition(SUSE) and see how they are creating a logical partition, so that after Linux on that drive, the remaining free space is usable

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Tags
creator, imageusb, linux, live, unetbootin, usb, versus