Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (Not For Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (Not For Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Closed Thread

Old 21st June 2016, 11:13 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Talking Bluetooth - Bluez 5.0 policy change workaround and recommended blueman build

F24 is released officially today. I downloaded the Gold Release ISO this morning from the official torrents page.

I've been trying to get F23 build of blueman-2.1-0.3.git7a2e20e installed and running today on my notebook with both dnf and rpm methods.

It has F24 installed but all available versions of blueman for this release do not work with the Intel Bluetooth adaptor in my notebook.

If I try installing the aforementioned F23 build there are library dependency issues. The correct libraries cannot be installed because dnf requires newer conflicting ones. So they can't be removed.

So I have no choice but to go back to F23 for the foreseeable future unless anyone can point me in the right direction to a fix.

to stop blueman updating i'll add the following to the yum configuration file:

exclude=blueman*

That said, because of my report last night the latest update was pulled by Leigh and there may not be any more because of upstream support issues.

Blueman support upstream is not great. This is not the Fedora blueman packagers fault and just means it may get orphaned for this distribution yet again for which I don't blame them. As the problems are upstream, I'll file a report myself on github just on the off-chance they can do something or at least advise me of a workaround.

EDIT - filed this
https://github.com/blueman-project/blueman/issues/537

***far better working build of blueman for F24 since located here as per post #7 below, refer to that post for downgrade instructions***

still follow the instructions in this thread for full functionality though. if obex still doesn't work, make sure you have all obex packages installed

Last edited by antikythera; 10th October 2016 at 09:44 PM. Reason: url for github bug filed
Old 21st June 2016, 04:27 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: F24 - Blueman version 2.0.4 not working for Intel internal USB device

The upstream team came through so here is the solution I've used to the problem. It is actually down to a policy change in bluez 5.0 onwards where bluetooth adaptors are not powered on by default when detected any longer:

Create a file in /etc/udev/rules.d/ (eg 50-bluetooth-hci-auto-poweron.rules) with the following content
Code:
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="bluetooth", KERNEL=="hci[0-9]*", RUN+="/bin/hciconfig %k up"
EDIT - bluez-5.40-2 policy changed to fix this part of the conundrum. update F24 to that version after install. all other measuers in the thread still apply though. Should that revert at any stage then you will of course need to do the above file creation

Last edited by antikythera; 1st November 2016 at 09:31 AM.
Old 23rd June 2016, 10:16 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Bluetooth - Bluez 5.0 policy change workaround

IMPORTANT OBEX FILE TRANSFER INFORMATION

There is an issue with the obex dbus service not being found by gnome or blueman. to correct this do the following with root or sudo rights to create a symbolic link to it:

Code:
cd /usr/lib/systemd/user/
ln -s obex.service dbus-org.bluez.obex.service
then restart your bluetooth application and you should be able to transfer files properly.
Old 25th June 2016, 11:51 AM
cheerio158 Offline

linuxfedorachrome

That was very helpful. Thanks!!

I still have problems with support of my USB bluethooth device (below) and I am stranded at bluez-5.36 which I had to rebuild for F24 to make it work. Frustrating.

Bus 007 Device 005: ID 0a5c:2148 Broadcom Corp. BCM92046DG-CL1ROM Bluetooth 2.1 Adapter[COLOR="Silver"]
Old 26th June 2016, 05:43 PM
wolfred Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Currently using Fedora 23 on a laptop. Before the fix you mentioned, when I power up my laptop blueman-applet would show bluetooth is off and it would not let me power it on, but after when my laptop starts bluetooth is on and I can turn it off, how ever turning it back on it looks like it closes blueman-applet and then come back again, but this time it is on.
A bit different from Fedora 22, but I will accept this :-)
Thank you for your help.
Old 17th August 2016, 01:11 AM
evilbastard Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post
IMPORTANT OBEX FILE TRANSFER INFORMATION

There is an issue with the obex dbus service not being found by gnome or blueman. to correct this do the following with root or sudo rights to create a symbolic link to it:

Code:
cd /usr/lib/systemd/user/
ln -s obex.service dbus-org.bluez.obex.service
then restart your bluetooth application and you should be able to transfer files properly.
I found the same issue with obex and used this to fix my issue.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=202815
Old 10th October 2016, 09:33 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorachrome

recommended build of blueman to use with this:

https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/p...ta0408c1.fc24/

blueman has been orphaned as a package. This is the build I found works best with my mobile phone for obex file transfer in both directions.

to apply it, you need to do so as a downgrade. even though the version number is higher, it is an older package build. if blueman tray applet is running close it before proceeding.

open a terminal window, navigate to the directory you downloaded the rpm file to and enter the following command

Code:
sudo dnf downgrade *.rpm
you will be asked to confirm the downgrade after entering your password.

after applying this, to prevent it being updated by dnf or yumex-dnf, add it as an exclusion to dnf.conf using the following line. if you already have excludes, add it on the list and save the change.

exclude=blueman

same applies to yum.conf if using yum-deprecated or yumex
Old 10th October 2016, 10:43 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Mithrandir

linuxchrome
Re: Bluetooth - Bluez 5.0 policy change workaround and recommended blueman build

Stuck and closed. Please open new threads with questions and reference this thread as appropriate.

Thanks to everyone who contributed here to this guide.

The Linux Documentation Project | Fedora Documentation
Closed Thread

Tags
blueman, bug reporting, device, f24, intel, internal, usb, version