Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th July 2016, 02:56 PM
shmouftler Offline

linuxfirefox
Sound flown away

Since yesterday morning's regular update to Rawhide and consecutive reboot all my physical sound devices haven't been accepted by the system any more. There's no more audio output but DUMMY! Today's updates didn't correct the problem. On last screen before reboot/shutdown I just get a hint that interrupt 16 had to be disabled.
My machine is a self-assembled one consisting of an FX6300 on an original (no R2) Sabertooth FX990 board with ALC892 onboard audio. Nothing that exotic I think. Till that fatal update Rawhide had been working just better than excellently, a lot of elsewhere struggling periphery iincluded!
What has happened? All my hopes now is for next days' updates. May be maintainers and developers can make something out of this message ...
Old 15th July 2016, 10:43 AM
shmouftler Offline

linuxfirefox
Happy days are here again!

On patching the system this morning (Oh dear! I've to understand I reside in Vienna while Fedora's maintainers I suppose sitting in the US ...) along with the new kernel rc7.git2.1 all problems mentioned before seem to be solved as after reboot I could amazingly listen to Pavarotti presenting my startup song: "Bella figlia dell'amore ..."
Great thanks!
If further bugs appear I'll report them here ...
Old 15th July 2016, 11:40 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Re: Sound flown away

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmouftler View Post
May be maintainers and developers can make something out of this message ...
Nice to see your sound is working again

I'd be surprised if the developers and maintainers concerned actually read your post as this forum isn't an official support channel or point of contact for the Fedora Project.

If you need to contact Fedora Project personnel directly but aren't sure who to report an issue to, you can initiate the contact via Ask Fedora link at the top of the page. They'll point you to the right mailing list or bugzilla as appropriate if the issue cannot be resolved via that site.
Old 15th July 2016, 03:26 PM
shmouftler Offline

linuxfirefox
Thank you for the tip!

Maybe they don't read here, but I think they should do. For it could sometimes accelerate development a lot, though presumably there are not so many common users working on Rawhide.
The main reason I changed to Rawhide is some frustrating behaviour of Plasma when operated with more than one monitor: Usually I work with two of them, one 1920x1200 connected by DP and the other 1440x900 by DVI, from time to time completed with my Toshiba HD-TV 1920x1080i on HDMI, all those out of one R260X graphics. Nearly all other OSs I've tried out - as there are also Fedora editions up to V.24 (miraculously not Chapeau which depends on 23, also to farly a lesser degree Korora) - use to get those different resolutions and graphic outputs confused, having forced me to call xrandr by a specially prepared bash file. OpenSUSE up to Tumbleweed even seems to disturb the backlight management of my main monitor (HP ZR2440w). Among rpm-based systems used with newest KDE Plasma, Rawhide alone really seems to be the state of art any possible for now! (The new distro KDE Neon also shows excellent graphic operation, but I've changed from Debian derived systems because of so much better dependency resoulution of Yum - and best by Dnf ...)
Old 15th July 2016, 04:36 PM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome
Re: Sound flown away

Sure, they should, but they don't. Adam does, on occasion--I remember when he first joined Fedora, and I suggested that he look at the forums, and he agreed. A couple of others do as well.

However, like anyone else, they have a limited amount of time, and generally, the best way to get something to a developer's attention is to file a bug report on bugzilla.redhat.com (You have to create an account to do so). While these forums are useful, they do tend to get incredibly sidetracked. I don't know if the same issue exists on askfedora or not.

I don't look at askfedora too much, I find these forums far more entertaining, and equally useful. (That's nothing against askfedora, simply my personal taste--I only use Fedora casually too, on laptops that aren't very important.)

Anyway, while I, too, wish they would spend more time here, I fully understand why they don't--there's a lot of extraneous noise here, though, to me at least, that's part of what makes these forums fun.
Old 31st July 2016, 10:33 AM
shmouftler Offline

linuxfirefox
Running forward with downs and ups ...

It's great things that seem to have been happening only during the last days on Rawhide:
A three days ago I had a break once again - no woman no cry! As I've found out first of all the last version of systemd got integrated. Let's better speak of "was expected to get integrated" (by maintainers). Sound off again, additionally both my displays needed a five minutes to render up, reboot had to be done by root's commandline exclusively. As if not only water had been flowing over for pretty a while they've evenly brought many packages already marked "fc26" and kernel v.4.8 as the primary offer for booting the system.
O.k., whe're we staying just now?
Quite good! As of this hour (!), system services (Please, remember me continously using Plasma5!) work all well - whenever booted by kernel v.4.7 (Go down on Grub)! Having respected that condition you'll find everything appearing fine, while the early testing version of kernel 4.8 as it is available now will not boot at all.
So, friends, that's to give you some tiny advice for the case you like that "rafting" same-same me ...

Tags
flown, sound