Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st February 2005, 05:25 AM
williesub Offline

win to fedora share good, fedora to win no good

Small network with windows xp, windows 2000, windows server 2000 and server xp.

Samba and firewall set up on Fedora 3. All window machines can get to the 2 samba shares that are set up.

However, when I go to try to log onto a windows server share, I can see the server, but can't get to the shares. Says I might not have privledges.

I've tried this a million ways. With and without fire wall.

I'm googled out after looking into for the last 3 days.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 21st February 2005, 05:47 AM
sirrahd Offline

I posted something similar about printing to Windows a few minutes ago (http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43833). If you are trying to connect to a share using its windows network name, try using the computer's IP address instead. I don't know if it will solve your problem, but it's worth a shot.
Old 21st February 2005, 06:36 AM
jayemef Offline

If it says you don't have the permissions, then it's not a firewall issue, as you are clearly establishing a connection. How are you attempting to view the shares? Are you trying to mount them, or view them via a file manager? When are you told you don't have permissions? When trying to open the share, or when attempting to write to it? If it's the first, the problem is likely server side. If it's the latter, it's likely client side.
Registered Linux User #371168

+Fedora Core 3 - k2.6.10-1.766_FC3
+WindowMaker 0.91.0
Old 21st February 2005, 07:39 PM
williesub Offline

"If it says you don't have the permissions, then it's not a firewall issue, as you are clearly establishing a connection. How are you attempting to view the shares? Are you trying to mount them, or view them via a file manager? When are you told you don't have permissions? When trying to open the share, or when attempting to write to it"

I get same results with firewall on and off. Not firewall issue.

I'm trying to get to the shares via the file manager. I can see all the computers that are on the subnet, (which are XP, 2000, and Server 2000). They can all mount the shares on the Fedora 3 sever via samba.

I've tried turning on and off many combo's of services and always get the same deal.

Don't understand why the file manager shows me the computers but won't give me the sign in screen. Also, today I wasn't able to ping them by computer name from the Fedora 3 server. But could ping them via ip address.

When I was messing around with Fedora 6 months ago, this didn't seem to be an issue. Was able to set up samba for sharing and log on to the windows network shares. However, the sambe.cfg file has many more options in it now. Don't understand if this is part of the issue or not.

I'm hav no domain services running away, just have everything set up as workgoup. I've tried setting up different smb.cfg settings regarding browsing.

Have turned off firewall and turned on many services in Fedora and almost always get the same results. Have turned on additionally, network manager,

Couldn't say why, but at one point (many hours ago) I did lose the listing in file manager under network.

90% of the time I do this. Computer>network> then I get list of windows network, and the 7 computers. When I click on the network, I get the 7 windows computers again. Either place, I double click on the computer, I then get a new window and a windows named error displaying folder. Then the message, the folder contenetrs could not be displayed. You do not have the permission necessary to view the contents of "windows network: fs4".

It's probably pretty simple. Just not sure what dumb thing I've missed.

It's amazing how such a simple problem can take so much time to fix. And the sad part is it's either operator error or ignorance.

here are the services running..... any ideas if someting missing?

[root@Fs2a ~]# service --status-all
anacron is stopped
atd (pid 4003) is running...
Configured Mount Points:
------------------------

Active Mount Points:
--------------------
hcid is stopped
sdpd is stopped
hidd is stopped
cpuspeed is stopped
crond (pid 3919) is running...
cupsd (pid 3789) is running...
cups-config-daemon (pid 4035) is running...
Device not specified in /etc/sysconfig/diskdump
Firestarter is running...
gpm (pid 3909) is running...
hald (pid 4046) is running...
httpd is stopped
Firewall is stopped.
irattach is stopped
irqbalance (pid 3565) is running...
mdmpd is stopped
mDNSResponder (pid 3760) is running...
dbus-daemon-1 (pid 6316 4022) is running...
/etc/init.d/microcode_ctl: reading microcode status is not yet supported
Server address not specified in /etc/sysconfig/netdump
netplugd is stopped
Configured devices:
lo eth0
Currently active devices:
lo eth0
NetworkManager is stopped
Shutting down NFS mountd: rpc.mountd is stopped
nfsd is stopped
rpc.rquotad is stopped
rpc.statd (pid 3596) is running...
nifd (pid 3730) is running...
nscd is stopped
ntpd is stopped
portmap (pid 3576) is running...
Process accounting is disabled.
rpc.idmapd (pid 3645) is running...
saslauthd is stopped
sendmail is stopped
smartd (pid 3772) is running...
smbd (pid 5581 3983 3963) is running...
nmbd (pid 3984) is running...
snmpd is stopped
snmptrapd is stopped
spamd is stopped
sshd (pid 3888) is running...
syslogd (pid 3550) is running...
klogd (pid 3554) is running...
Xvnc is stopped
winbindd is stopped
xfs (pid 3953) is running...
xinetd (pid 3899) is running...
ypbind is stopped
Nightly yum update is disabled.
[root@Fs2a ~]#

I have tried many combo's of services, but mostly always the same resluts. Also tried mounting with IP address. No good there either.

thanks for any help.
Old 21st February 2005, 08:03 PM
jim Offline
Retired Community Manager & Avid Drinker Of Suds

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42514 <----- See if this helps
Registered Linux User: #376813
Western NY
My linux site
Smolt Profile

please remember to say if you problem was solved

Did you get your id10t award today?
Old 22nd February 2005, 02:51 AM
williesub Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedorajim
Intenesting, I'm in Rochester NY also.

Thanks for your help. It's beyond belief that it is so difficult to log onto a windows share. I wish I were a programmer and I'd go lock myself in a room and write a GUI to help log into a windows share.

My problem is there are infrequent usages of the different Windows shares required of this Fedora server. It's not worth all the time and efffort to accomplish this.

Hopefully I'm missing something and will find a setting somewhere to overcome this problem. Going and making mounts for all these different shares is not something I feel like doing at this point.

Thanks again.
Old 22nd February 2005, 03:21 AM
awdac Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by williesub
Thanks for your help. It's beyond belief that it is so difficult to log onto a windows share. I wish I were a programmer and I'd go lock myself in a room and write a GUI to help log into a windows share.
I think difficult is in the eyes of the beholder. I have consoles open all the time on my linux boxes and find it very easy to type a one-line command to access a windows share--even easier than right-clicking My Computer and exploring the network for it and assigning it a drive letter. Of course all this can be automated through /etc/fstab if its a regularly-used share, and you wouldn't even have to think about it. I know that GUIs exist for this kind of thing, but aren't very popular as it is often faster to pop in from a terminal window than to load some GUI. Different strokes for different folks I think the saying goes...
Registered Linux User #240607
2001-11-02 03:17:23
Old 16th March 2005, 03:03 AM
scamp Offline

I'm having the exact same problem: I can see my Fedora shares fine from my XP box, and on my FC3 box I can go to Applications/Network Services and see the windows boxes on the Network, but if I try to browse to one by clicking on it, I'm told I don't have permission to browse to it.

Yet, if I log in as root (I don't mean su, but do a full login as root), I can not only open the Network Services box but I can see the XPs. I don't have to mount them to see them.

Can anyone shed some light on this? It's driving me bonkers!!!

Tags
fedora, good, share, win