Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th May 2017, 06:05 PM
Mageta52 Offline

windows_7chrome
F18 Networking confusion

I'm hoping to get some clarification on the way networking functions in Fedora 18. If I edit the config file for an interface under /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts, and then go in through the GUI and change the IP address information, the changes made there will always take precedence over the changes made manually in the ifcfg files under /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.

I've had the same problem in CentOS, and I've been told that the GUI uses network manager, which doesn't use the config files under /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.

Is there a reason that configuration files exist in multiple places to control the network interfaces? It just seems confusing and convoluted to me.
Old 21st May 2017, 06:24 AM
nsnbm Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: F18 Networking confusion

Normally the user needs to use either NetworkManager or network, but not both because one can overwrite the other's files. If it's network that you wish to use, then editing the config files will config the system. You can use the GUI program: system-config-network to set up network and it will go some way to editing those files which may be enough to get the network going. If not, then tweaking the config files usually gets the user up, and there's plenty of info on those files. On the other hand, NetworkManager has it's own GUI that you can use, and also has command line programs, but often the GUI gets things going. I don't use NetworkManager, but from my experience with others who do, they say it deals with wifi better.
Old 22nd May 2017, 09:58 PM
Mageta52 Offline

windows_7chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnbm View Post
Normally the user needs to use either NetworkManager or network, but not both because one can overwrite the other's files. If it's network that you wish to use, then editing the config files will config the system. You can use the GUI program: system-config-network to set up network and it will go some way to editing those files which may be enough to get the network going. If not, then tweaking the config files usually gets the user up, and there's plenty of info on those files. On the other hand, NetworkManager has it's own GUI that you can use, and also has command line programs, but often the GUI gets things going. I don't use NetworkManager, but from my experience with others who do, they say it deals with wifi better.
So if I had a system that was configured with networkmanager, and then I went and disabled that service, how would I go about saving the system from the changes that networkmanager made?

I ran a quick test on a system that was configured using networkmanager, and once disabled, none of my interfaces will come up, despite there being configuration files for both under /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.

I'm assuming there's a startup script somewhere that specifies which location to use, but I'm not familiar with it, or where it might be stored.
Old 25th May 2017, 12:08 AM
nsnbm Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Not being a user of NetworkManager, I'll refrain from commenting on it, but for network, the following may be useful to you.

To start network you can use a few methods. You could set network to start at the next boot by running, as root, something like:
Code:
chkconfig --level 2345 on
That will instruct network to be on from the next boot up for runlevels 2, 3, 4 and 5 which are the levels where one usually works.

The chkconfig utility is from the pre-systemd days, and, AIUI, will use systemd to do the work. You can, alternatively, get systemd to do it with something like:
Code:
systemctl enable network.service
which should bring up the network on the next boot up.

If you are already running and want to start the network then the following can bring it up:
Code:
systemctl start network.service
Bear in mind that, in all cases, network needs its configuration files in order for it to run.

Sometimes, even when the configuration files have been in order, I have needed to reboot to get the network started.

There's quite a bit of network discussion with various opinions on the forum so it may pay to hunt it up through the search facility.

You can check whether your network is up with something like:
Code:
systemctl status network
For example on a machine here:
Code:
[tom@owl ~ ]$ systemctl status network
● network.service - LSB: Bring up/down networking
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/rc.d/init.d/network; generated; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: active (running) since Thu 2017-05-25 07:34:32 AEST; 1h 32min ago
     Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
  Process: 629 ExecStart=/etc/rc.d/init.d/network start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Tasks: 1 (limit: 4915)
   CGroup: /system.slice/network.service
           └─899 /sbin/dhclient -H owl -1 -q -lf /var/lib/dhclient/dhclient--enp3s0.lease -pf /var/run/dhclient

May 25 07:34:32 owl systemd[1]: Started LSB: Bring up/down networking.
May 25 08:02:13 owl dhclient[899]: DHCPREQUEST on enp3s0 to 10.0.0.138 port 67 (xid=0xc04bd56e)
May 25 08:02:13 owl dhclient[899]: DHCPACK from 10.0.0.138 (xid=0xc04bd56e)
May 25 08:02:16 owl dhclient[899]: bound to 10.0.0.32 -- renewal in 1290 seconds.
May 25 08:23:45 owl dhclient[899]: DHCPREQUEST on enp3s0 to 10.0.0.138 port 67 (xid=0xc04bd56e)
May 25 08:23:45 owl dhclient[899]: DHCPACK from 10.0.0.138 (xid=0xc04bd56e)
May 25 08:23:48 owl dhclient[899]: bound to 10.0.0.32 -- renewal in 1531 seconds.
May 25 08:49:19 owl dhclient[899]: DHCPREQUEST on enp3s0 to 10.0.0.138 port 67 (xid=0xc04bd56e)
May 25 08:49:19 owl dhclient[899]: DHCPACK from 10.0.0.138 (xid=0xc04bd56e)
May 25 08:49:21 owl dhclient[899]: bound to 10.0.0.32 -- renewal in 1421 seconds.
You can see from the output of this command that the network start up script is: /etc/rc.d/init.d/network which you can inspect to discover all the files it looks at to bring up the network.

Last edited by nsnbm; 25th May 2017 at 12:19 AM.

Tags
confusion, f18, networking