Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th May 2017, 03:35 PM
adelow Offline

windows_7chrome
Setting boot order with efibootmgr

I am dual-booting Fedora and Windows on a UEFI system. In efibootmgr I can see entries for Fedora and Windows, but I can also see other entries such as DVD, USB, internal hard disk.

When setting the boot order, do I need to include these other entries (DVD, USB) in addition to the entries for the two installed operating systems? If I do not specifically include them when setting them using efibootmgr -o, will they be removed from the boot order?

Do I need to delete the existing boot order before setting a new one? What happens if I delete the existing boot order without setting a new one?
Old 19th May 2017, 03:38 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome
Re: Setting boot order with efibootmgr

hi, yes all entries should be added to the new boot order in the priority you want them:

e.g. sudo efibootmgr -o 0003,0001,0004,0005,0002

you don't need to delete the existing order as it will be overwritten

if you delete the existing entries, the UEFI firmware simply rebuilds a boot order of it's own based on the boot order (hardware) priorities stored in the UEFI setup screens.

Tags
boot, efibootmgr, order, setting