Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd April 2017, 03:46 AM
xia4q Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Dell latitude e6420 touchpad

This is a very unusual unit. It has a point-stick and touchpad. The pointstick has 3 keys and the touchpad has 2. The point-stick always seems to work; however the touchpad only seems to work intermittantly. The cursor will sometimes be frozen and sometimes it will jitter, never staying in the same place; other times, it will work for the entire session. It also misbehaves in the same way in Windows 10. Ordinarily, this would suggest a hardware problem to me; but the following Reddit post, seems to suggest otherwise.

https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport...8m&sh=f8d03b42

This is a used unit, and other DELL Laptops of that vintage, 2011, have similar issues; so I'm reluctant to condemn the hardware just yet, especially since this unit was loaded for a power user and appears well cared for.

I have fedora core 25 on gnome.
Old 22nd April 2017, 05:45 AM
Doug G Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Re: Dell latitude e6420 touchpad

I regularly use a Latitude e6420. I don't use the pointing stick, just the touchpad, and it's always worked just fine with fedora 25. Occasionally, though, the touchpad does seem to be "overly sensitive".

From your description I'd suspect the touchpad hardware.
Old 22nd April 2017, 09:07 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Has the notebook always done this since you purchased it?

I'm wondering if chassis was stripped down prior to resale for a refurbish and the touchpad flat ribbon cable has not been put back properly so the connection is bad

given the same happens across all installed OS it seems the most logical reason
Old 5th May 2017, 05:11 PM
xia4q Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post
Has the notebook always done this since you purchased it?

I'm wondering if chassis was stripped down prior to resale for a refurbish and the touchpad flat ribbon cable has not been put back properly so the connection is bad

given the same happens across all installed OS it seems the most logical reason
I bought this at a second hand store. I reseated the ribbon cable, same problem. I'm going to repplace the pamlrest now.

Tags
dell, e6420, latitude, touchpad