Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd August 2016, 09:41 PM
DokterW Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Smile Fedora forever.

My first experience with Linux was back in 1999 if I recall correctly. Bought Red Hat 5.2. It didn't make the best impression on me as it came with Afterstep. Not a pretty gui. Damn ugly if I may be so honest. Even for that time.

Yet, I was destined to learn Linux as it gave me two things I enjoyed, freedom and an awesome CLI.

I did what most that give Linux a go, try most distros out there.

There was an obvious pattern emerging tho. I constantly went back to Red Hat. I liked how well RPM worked.

When YUM came around, it just got better. And to be honest, I like DNF. It does what I want it to do and acts the way it expects.

There are two other reasons that made me go back to Fedora and decide it's the right distro for me. It is leading/bleeding edge. I can enjoy the latest without too much hiccups. I consider myself lucky, because I've, knock on wood, had very few issues. It has, to borrow the Apple phrase, just worked for me.

The most important reason is that it doesn't feel bloated. I rather want a distro I have to add stuff to than removing stuff that usually breaks stuff.

One thing I have always wished for, and still do, is a rolling release, but with a Fedora/RH flavour.

Now that Fedora has made the upgrade process to a new distro extremely painless, it kind of works like a semi-rolling release. As in, you just do a big upgrade and keep on doing you stuff.

Every new release is like a mini xmas. Packed with new, awesome features.

It's also thanks to Linux that I got into coding/scripting. I still only know bash scripting, but when I get a bit more time on my hands I plan to sit down and learn python.
HP Proliant Microserver Gen8 — Fedora Server 26
Raspberry Pi 3 — Fedora Server 26
Old 23rd August 2016, 03:50 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Fedora forever.

Since this is more of a "positive" post, I am going to move it out of the Rants subforum into a more appropriate area
Old 23rd August 2016, 01:19 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Mithrandir

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DokterW View Post

One thing I have always wished for, and still do, is a rolling release, but with a Fedora/RH flavour.
You know, you should try out rawhide for a rolling release.

I know it has a bad rap for breaking things and sometimes it is indeed true that things go south fast, but if you are on the devel mailing list, most of the time these days, it's not too bad ..

The Linux Documentation Project | Fedora Documentation
Old 23rd August 2016, 09:00 PM
DokterW Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamedotc View Post
You know, you should try out rawhide for a rolling release.

I know it has a bad rap for breaking things and sometimes it is indeed true that things go south fast, but if you are on the devel mailing list, most of the time these days, it's not too bad ..
I have considered it, but when I read that it can be a bit more resource hungry I decided it was not worth it. Also, there are so many that says it works fine and an equal number that say the opposite.

A while back Fedora Magazine had an article about someone that said most of his computers run Rawhide. I emailed him and asked if he had any tips, he told me to read the Fedora wiki about Rawhide... Which basically makes you think, after reading it, nope, not touching that with a ten foot pole.

As of now, the upgrade to next release in fedora is pretty smooth, and the release cycle is frequent, so fedora (stable) is like a pseudo-rolling release.

As I mentioned, it just works for me. Then again, I guess I've been lucky with my hardware and set up.
HP Proliant Microserver Gen8 — Fedora Server 26
Raspberry Pi 3 — Fedora Server 26

Tags
fedora