Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th November 2015, 10:21 PM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxfedorafirefox
Fedora 23 Workstation - Solid

Just loaded F23 Workstation from the live ISO. Easy to pull image from Fedora Project. Burned to DVD, no problem. Fresh install went smooth.

Now playing around with the Workstation (Gnome 3) and nicely done. I used dnf to upgrade (update my system) after install. Fast. Used dnf to add applications (GIMP, Scribus, and so on). Fast. No special repos (I use default Fedora repos), and add Google Chrome.

Adding Google Chrome, easy with dnf. And again, fast.

All is functioning solid. Amazing for just released.
Old 10th November 2015, 04:04 AM
lsatenstein Online

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Fedora 23 Workstation - Solid

I just installed Korora 23 Beta, This Remix distribution is as good or better than the Korora 22 version. Originally, I just ran the dnf system upgrade proceded and obtained somewhat different results.

I did a clean installation, and followed up on Stevea's recommendation to use btrfs. I cant tell just yet if my Korora btrfs installation its giving the benefits.

Korora23 includes Fedora23 + codecs + other selected programs and some great looking wall papers.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Last edited by lsatenstein; 12th November 2015 at 01:08 AM. Reason: dislexia correction
Old 11th November 2015, 01:22 AM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Leslie thanks for talking about btrfs. I should add this information: with all my Fedora installs, I use ext4 and shrink / to around 10Gbs (I do not run virtual machines on my notebook) and I increase /home, with the space I gained from shrinking /

May not be an issue for most folks to use the Fedora default disk set up, but for me, ext4 is solid.
Old 11th November 2015, 01:30 AM
dd_wizard Online

linuxfedorafirefox

I'm running a stripped down version of F23 Workstation on btrfs, and it's running great. The only thing I miss are infinality fonts. I ran the F19 version on F21, and they worked great. This time, I think I'll try building them from the new site. Just for fun, would one of you paste the output of the following commands?
Code:
$ sudo dnf list installed | tail -n +2 | wc -l

$ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda7       100G  3.8G   95G   4% /
I'm curious how much I stripped out of a normal Gnome installation.

dd_wizard

Last edited by dd_wizard; 11th November 2015 at 01:36 AM.
Old 11th November 2015, 01:48 AM
nsnbm Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

dd_wizard wrote:
Quote:
$ sudo dnf list installed | tail -n +2 | wc -l
The wc -l in that command gave 6 more lines than there were packages on my system because 6 package names ran over 2 lines.

My system is not gnome, so not othewise relevant to your inquiry.
Old 11th November 2015, 01:52 AM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Sorry not on my Fedora notebook right now, but I can offer (generally) that a vanilla Fedora Workstation (ext4) takes up under 5Gbs of space.

I add Scribus, GIMP, Asunder, Brasero, Tweak Tool and Google Chrome. The default Fedora Workstation (Gnome 3) includes LibreOffice.

I run Fedora with this set up for roughly six months, until the next Fedora is out, and / does not go past 5Gbs (runs around 4.8Gbs) with all updates current.

I always allow for 8 to 10Gbs in /, but never need it.

My hardware, 60Gb SSD, fast combination with Google Drive, and enough space for me
Old 11th November 2015, 02:01 AM
dd_wizard Online

linuxfedorafirefox

My install includes Gnome Shell, Libreoffice, Virtualization, audio and video applications, and most of the Gnome utilities. However, it does NOT include of Boxes, Package Kit, Gnome Software, or Tracker! I hate those guys.

dd_wizard
Old 11th November 2015, 05:24 AM
fibster Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Ya the developers and team did an awesome job on 23.
I updated from 22 and all went smoothly.
Got to love this distro.

Proud User of Fedora @ Gnome since Core 1>
Registered Linux user 412420
Old 11th November 2015, 05:58 AM
lsatenstein Online

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
Sorry not on my Fedora notebook right now, but I can offer (generally) that a vanilla Fedora Workstation (ext4) takes up under 5Gbs of space.

I add Scribus, GIMP, Asunder, Brasero, Tweak Tool and Google Chrome. The default Fedora Workstation (Gnome 3) includes LibreOffice.

I run Fedora with this set up for roughly six months, until the next Fedora is out, and / does not go past 5Gbs (runs around 4.8Gbs) with all updates current.

I always allow for 8 to 10Gbs in /, but never need it.

My hardware, 60Gb SSD, fast combination with Google Drive, and enough space for me
Hi DAVE. i Have some thoughts about anaconda taking 15gigs for / (for live or dvd or network) install. Its done that way because of database software, web servers and big systems, logs, tmp files etc.. Yes, 15gig is a goodly amount. Perhaps anaconda should ask if your installing a desktop, server, cloud, and change the proportions for /, /home, etc. On a 1 terrabyte drive more than 900gigs was allocated to /home. perhaps 300 gigs is all we really need for Fedora. For Centos, Scientific, or RH, 900gigs foe /homemay not be sufficient.

Old 11th November 2015, 11:55 PM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsatenstein View Post
...i Have some thoughts about anaconda taking 15gigs for / (for live or dvd or network) install. Its done that way because of database software, web servers and big systems, logs, tmp files etc.. Yes, 15gig is a goodly amount. Perhaps anaconda should ask if your installing a desktop, server, cloud, and change the proportions for /, /home, etc.
Hey Leslie, I may be wrong, but I believe Fedora defaults to LVM and / is set to 25Gb or more. My experience with leaving it default, my 60Gb SSD ran out of /home space quickly... until I realized what Fedora default was allocating.

From previous discussions, sorry can not find the thread, it was thought that Fedora is trying to accommodate VM's with the large allocation of space to /. I am not running VM's on my notebook, or server applications, so I can keep / lean (around 8Gb).

Nothing against LVM, but I find ext4 allows for a more responsive system. Have not tried LVM in awhile, maybe that has changed. But for me, ext4 is a solid performer.
Old 12th November 2015, 01:24 AM
lsatenstein Online

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
Hey Leslie, I may be wrong, but I believe Fedora defaults to LVM and / is set to 25Gb or more. My experience with leaving it default, my 60Gb SSD ran out of /home space quickly... until I realized what Fedora default was allocating.

From previous discussions, sorry can not find the thread, it was thought that Fedora is trying to accommodate VM's with the large allocation of space to /. I am not running VM's on my notebook, or server applications, so I can keep / lean (around 8Gb).

Nothing against LVM, but I find ext4 allows for a more responsive system. Have not tried LVM in awhile, maybe that has changed. But for me, ext4 is a solid performer.
Hi Dave
On my laptop, 45gig is set aside for / and 150gig for /home /opt for 9gig and /swap for 8gig.
My laptop has korora23, a successful dnf upgrade from Korora 22.
On my desktop, I experienced a successful dnf upgrade to Chapeau23. dnf appears to work wih rpmfusion, playonlinux and other conformable apps.

Old 27th November 2015, 11:16 AM
Maryyy Offline

windows_7firefox

CentOS is absolutely fine, but I was just bored by it, so after having F23 in VM for a few days for testing, I replaced CentOS with it. Why? It's quite nice and KDE5 is now very usable.
I prefer Gnome3 in general, but sometimes change is good, so I got the KDE spin.

Installer is, well, basically the same. Works, but especially the partitioner is something I would like to see redesigned, so it's not this confusing mess. Anyway, I'm used to it, so I can live with it.

After installation, I just had to do the usual. Nvidia drivers are now working perfectly fine, their installation is just the same as it was the first time Nouveau showed up.
Get rid of nouveau.ko(xz), rename/delete current initramfs and then just dracut. Have kernel-devel in place and install akmod-nvidia and xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i686. Done.
I don't know why some people still have problem installing nvidia drivers, but after seeing the guide on RPMfusion, I think it needs to get simplified, as it's just the same for quite a few Fedora releases.
Fact that there is no kmod support is understandable and actually I think kmod is useless with Fedora's kernels breaking the ABI all the time, unlike RHEL ones.

Anyway.
All is working great and KDE5 is something I really like now too.
Sure, some parts are still using KDE 4.14, but that itself is not a problem at all. There is no sign that those apps are not part of KDE5, apart from the about dialog of that particualr app, so no problem. It still feels quite coherent and more importantly, works as it should.
Docs are now also reflecting KDE5 changes and are more or less complete to me, unlike what I saw in F22. Fine.

Now the plasma itself.
It can crash from time to time, but that is mostly because of too many on-the-fly changes. After reboot or re-login, it's quite stable and works just fine.
By default it doesn't use OpenGL, so if one chooses e.g. Flip switch in settings, it doesn't work, only after selecting either OpenGL 2.0 or 3.1 as the renderer. Slightly confusing, but nothing major.
SDDM may still miss some customisation options, but frankly, who really cares. It looks great and works great too, no problems with it.

The overall plasma customisation is deep enough and I think anyone can find their fitting combination of windows switchers, applets and overall look out of the box.

And since it has been some time I used dnf, some things I notice and like about it.
Although not needed with default Fedora and RPMfusion repos, I like priorities. This is built-in in dnf, unlike being a optional plugin for yum, nice and working great (I use them in Fedora too, for HandBrake provided by negativo17, which wants to update ffmpeg, but it's not necessary).
And I like the way it deals with orphans. Some app pulled it's deps, I remove it and all those deps get removed as well w/o affecting the rest. This may be something people are already used to, but I wasn't using dnf till now, so sorry if this is a bit ignorant find on my side. Anyway, it's quite cool and reminds me about the old days where Mandriva was fighting with this feature.
But still, just between us girls, Mandriva 2008.1 is still the best distro that was ever released.

Wine is also great here, as it provides both 32 and 64bit versions in one.
In CentOS, EPEL provides rather up to date wine, but only 64 bit. Compiling 32bit is non-problematic on CentOS7, but having them both here is another beast..

KDE5's integrated monitor setup is half-broken though. Even disabled displays are still active and in a sort of hideous way.. Nvidia settings or xrandr must be used instead.
I had to fix the default boot monitor like this:
Run nvidia-settings, set up monitors to just the primary one. Save the config and copy relevant display section to the nvidia.conf file. After reboot, all fine.

Baloo search works, but in my case, two drives were automatically excluded from search, these were selected only to automatically mount to some place during installation.
I had to remove them from the exclude list, stop the service and start it again. Otherwise it didn't find anything anywhere. After that it works as expected and it's quite fast in its search results.

So, apart from few things that are rather easily fixed anyway, it's fast, stable and a pleasure to work with.
Thanks Fedora gyus, F23 KDE is a lovely thing.

Last edited by Maryyy; 27th November 2015 at 01:38 PM. Reason: some typo cleaning plus additional info
Old 27th November 2015, 08:01 PM
joncr Offline

unknownfirefox

I wish KDE would stop thinking all its users know what OpenGL is, much less what version they should tick. That section of Settings should present display quality options, with plain language explanations of the trade offs, that make sense. Put the techie labels in parens for the minority who comprehend them.

There's one choice there that puts my Lenovo into unreponsive black screen mode that survives a reboot!

KWallet suffers the same ailment, popping up uninvited and demanding passwords and a choice between Blowfish and GPG. It's wrong to assume users know what KWallet is, it's rude to interrupt a user doing something else, and it's wrong and naive to think anyone using KDE knows anything about encryption, much less Blowfish and GPG.
Old 27th November 2015, 08:52 PM
Maryyy Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Understood. I guess this would definitely be true for distro with a focus on new or non-technical users.
KDE devs made it that way, but specific distro can alter those settings so that they are not obtrusive in the eyes of a common Joe.
Fedora is not a distro for these users though, so not sure if it applies here.

Still, my mom was using KDE4 for about a year. Gnome 2 for about 2 years before that and now Gnome3.
She is not bothered by GUI much, it must work, so she can write her docs, print them, receive/send mails, play videos and play some online games.
I found out, that if user is not a 'habit victim' of MS OSes, he/she can easily learn whatever else.

It's e.g. not simple for me to actually find this or that distracting or too technical. One thing is lacking tech skills and other having some other deep habits or even combination of both.
Who knows, maybe the user in question would just disable kwallet altogether w/o problem.
Old 27th November 2015, 09:03 PM
joncr Offline

unknownfirefox

Isn't it the case that if you actually disable KWallet, not just use the empty password trick, KDE won't save passwords?

Gnome has always handled passwords much more sanely. I know KWallet is a favorite punching bag, but there's good reason. It pushes users away from KDE.

Tags
fedora, solid, workstation