Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th September 2013, 10:37 PM
workisnotfun Offline

linuxchrome
Why are my laptop on full blast from just browsing the internet??

Compared to browsing on Windows 8 (which I'm dual booting), just browsing normally on a freshly installed Fedora 19 makes my laptop sound like it's going to burst into flames! My laptop is usually quiet when just browsing on Windows 8 and only gets loud during large processes like extracting a large zip file or reading huge PDFs...

I'm a bit new to linux as well. Is there some configuration I was suppose to do or program to delete to get my laptop running quietly?
Old 14th September 2013, 03:18 PM
markus39 Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Why are my laptop on full blast from just browsing the internet??

It could be your laptop is a optimus laptop, nvidia and intel graphics on board. Under Linux if the bios is set to use optimus your nvidia graphics card is powered but not doing anything. So essentially heating up you laptop without doing anything. Your browsing could put the heat over the edge and start the fans spinning.

To resolve this turn off optimus in the bios or install bumblebee and run the bumblebeed service.

If you have a laptop with only nVidia graphics, try to install the nVida binary drivers, Nouvea is really bad at handling its clock speed and can generate to much heat.

If your laptop isn't a optimus laptop you could try and google fan control and your brand of laptop.
Old 16th September 2013, 04:54 AM
fduraibi Offline

linuxfirefox

Is it actually getting hot or it is just the fan that is running full speed?

if it is just the fan then mostly it means Fedora is not able to communicate with the fan controller (motherboard/chipset drivers) to lower the fan speed. However, if it is heating up then check if there is a process that might be consuming your CPU cycles, try using "top"
Old 16th September 2013, 05:13 AM
workisnotfun Offline

linuxchrome

I actually posted a similar question in hardware section of the forum and got a few solutions.

The temp inside the laptop when using the command sensors was idling at 70C when I started and after installing bumblee-nvidia, the temp went down to the high 50s. I then installed acpi which brought it down even further to high 40s when idling. Doing anything stablizes around 55s though.

I also downloaded acpid which I'm not sure if its helping at all and I don't know how to use it anyway.

If there are any other suggestions though I'd be glad to hear them! I'm looking for any tips to save power for my laptop and quieting the fan (because I like quiet).
Old 16th September 2013, 05:24 AM
markus39 Offline

You could try the thermald daemon, I don't know there is a package for it under Fedora, I'm running Arch nowadays.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Galaxy Nexus met Tapatalk 4

Tags
blast, browsing, internet, laptop