Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Suggestions & Feedback
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Suggestions & Feedback Have suggestions, feedback or just plain questions regarding FedoraForum.org? Post them here. (We reserve the right to poke fun at you or just ignore them).

Old 20th July 2011, 06:37 AM
tox

linuxfirefox
Google Search bar

That Google Search bar when i log in an then click New Post, the google search bar does not show.
Old 20th July 2011, 11:49 AM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox
Re: Google Search bar

True. Originally, Leigh had place it between the upper two tool bars, however there's a Staff discussion on how it should be displayed and how much real estate it took up. For now, it's next to the login on the Home page.

Of course, it's just a re-post of the Google-Fedora Search that's in the drop-down Search menu, so it's still available to you on any screen.

As you know, the "standard" vBulletin Search engine is a bit lacking and we've commented many times about using the Google-Fedora Search for short words that are skipped by the Standard Search (like "KDE") and for multiple words/sentences.

While Leigh hasn't directly commented, I think he's placed it next to the Login for new members to quickly find and use. Those of us who've been around awhile already know the ropes.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 20th July 2011, 03:05 PM
leigh123linux

linuxredhatfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
True. Originally, Leigh had place it between the upper two tool bars, however there's a Staff discussion on how it should be displayed and how much real estate it took up. For now, it's next to the login on the Home page.

Of course, it's just a re-post of the Google-Fedora Search that's in the drop-down Search menu, so it's still available to you on any screen.

As you know, the "standard" vBulletin Search engine is a bit lacking and we've commented many times about using the Google-Fedora Search for short words that are skipped by the Standard Search (like "KDE") and for multiple words/sentences.

While Leigh hasn't directly commented, I think he's placed it next to the Login for new members to quickly find and use. Those of us who've been around awhile already know the ropes.

I have figured out how to display it on every page now

Quote:
While Leigh hasn't directly commented, I think he's placed it next to the Login for new members to quickly find and use. Those of us who've been around awhile already know the ropes
My goal is to make the VB search obsolete as it adds considerable load to the server.
I wouldn't mind but it's a useless search engine and return poor results.

Here's the months stats for custom search engine (it wasn't used much)

stats for the last year.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chart.png
Views:	237
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	21474   Click image for larger version

Name:	chart_year.png
Views:	244
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	21475  
Old 20th July 2011, 05:13 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox

Of course, the Staff will be discussing the issue and whether to drop vBulletin's search altogether or to simply bury it a bit further down so that it's not accessed so much. It IS handy when you're looking for that thread you made a comment on the previous week and can't remember exactly what was involved or who the OP was.

The "negative" to Fedora-Google is that simply putting in a word, such as "KDE" , will bring up hits from all sorts of versions and dates, in no particular order. So, the best way I've found to make it work for you is to add "F15" or "2011" to "KDE", which will then bring up current posts.

If anyone has better ideas on the best way to use it, I'd sure appreciate some input. We may put out a new "Search" guide.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 20th July 2011, 05:26 PM
Miikka Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
The "negative" to Fedora-Google is that simply putting in a word, such as "KDE" , will bring up hits from all sorts of versions and dates, in no particular order. So, the best way I've found to make it work for you is to add "F15" or "2011" to "KDE", which will then bring up current posts.

If anyone has better ideas on the best way to use it, I'd sure appreciate some input. We may put out a new "Search" guide.
Normal google search via google.com has the time range filter. Can you somehow add it to the custom Fedora-Google? Google crawler seems to crawl exact times of last posts in threads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-site:fedoraforum.org kde - Google Search - Mozilla Firefox-1.png
Views:	109
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	21476  
Old 20th July 2011, 06:22 PM
leigh123linux

linuxredhatfirefox

Quote:
Of course, the Staff will be discussing the issue and whether to drop vBulletin's search altogether or to simply bury it a bit further down so that it's not accessed so much. It IS handy when you're looking for that thread you made a comment on the previous week and can't remember exactly what was involved or who the OP was.

I gave it a 30 second time limit between searches, this should reduce it's appeal
Old 21st July 2011, 12:04 AM
tox

linuxfirefox

thanks for fixing it leigh, it should make life a bit easier for newbs, i dunno if it will be accessed to much, as with firefox it comes with the google search bit and if one installs the googlebar extension in firefox they can also use that
Old 21st July 2011, 05:16 PM
leigh123linux

linuxredhatfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miikka View Post
Normal google search via google.com has the time range filter. Can you somehow add it to the custom Fedora-Google? Google crawler seems to crawl exact times of last posts in threads.

You can date search

Code:
nvidia daterange:2455582-2455763
Just use the julian date

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/JulianDate.php

Search with syntax “Query” daterange:startdate-enddate.