Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th February 2010, 08:31 AM
Desh Banks Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Fedora 12 running hot/fans running all the time

I have been using fedora for a few months now, and am getting annoyed at the fan running all the time.

I ran 'sensors', and got the following:
acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1: +83.0*C (crit = +100.0*C)
temp1: +69.0*C (crit = +100.0*C)

This is close to 130 ish degrees farenheight, far too hot for the tasks I am performing. I let it idle, and check the sensors report again, and the temperature is consistently slowly rising.

Clearly, the fans are on doing their job, preventing my laptop from dieing in a fire.

Why is it so hot? Something I can do to help this situation?

Laptop model: Dell Studio 15. I run a hot processor( 2.66 T9550 dual core), but windows is never this hot.

thanks to any replies. Booting to windows before my fingers melt.

Last edited by Desh Banks; 20th February 2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 21st February 2010, 08:01 AM
screamin_jesus Offline

linuxsafari
Same here. I think its just the open source ati video drivers I am using for my mobility2600 though. I'm not sure they have any working power management, it runs full blast all the time, Windows gets as hot gaming as fedora does browsing the web...

Whats your vid card?
Old 27th February 2010, 09:53 PM
Desh Banks Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
My video card is a ATI Technologies Inc M92 [Mobility Radeon HD 4500 Series].

I found that I had a process running in the background eating one of my entire cores. That was cause for high temperature.

However, my fans still run constantly under linux, and I don't imagine this is good for the fan. Perhaps Linux has no way to turn them off/on? Would I search for drivers for this?

EDIT: (Sorry about the late reply, I have been very busy).
Old 27th February 2010, 10:17 PM
dd_wizard Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Laptops often give the OS very little control over the cooling hardware. On my Toshiba laptop, the fan starts to kick in when the CPU temperatures get close to 75C. It's only off when the temp is in the 60s. Right now, I'm running Firefox and Exaile with this top:
Code:
top - 13:06:47 up  1:49,  3 users,  load average: 0.11, 0.20, 0.29
Tasks: 171 total,   1 running, 170 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s):  8.3%us, 10.1%sy,  0.0%ni, 80.0%id,  0.3%wa,  0.0%hi,  1.2%si,  0.0%st
Mem:   2033448k total,  1995456k used,    37992k free,   203908k buffers
Swap:  1572856k total,        0k used,  1572856k free,   946396k cached

PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND                            
 2897 gene      20   0 1366m  68m  23m S 10.6  3.5   4:22.67 exaile                             
 2102 gene      20   0 1125m 166m  33m S  9.3  8.4  16:39.80 firefox                            
 1763 gene       9 -11  405m  14m  12m S  7.8  0.7   2:58.47 pulseaudio                         
 1419 root      20   0  117m  21m  10m S  4.7  1.1   6:36.00 Xorg                               
 3031 gene      20   0  424m  15m  10m S  2.7  0.8   0:07.58 gnome-terminal                     
   10 root      20   0     0    0    0 S  1.3  0.0   0:01.13 events/1                           
 4831 gene      20   0 40892 1560 1264 S  1.0  0.1   0:09.50 wget                               
 1812 gene      20   0  479m  12m 9660 S  0.5  0.6   0:19.03 sensors-applet
That's not very busy, but the cpus are both running 75C. Running two threads of prime95 pushes both cpus to 100% and 100C. The fan is on full, and the cpus actually slow down to keep the temps below 100C. That's pretty much what happens in Vista playing a 3D game. One cpu intensive thread gets the temps into the 80s or low 90s.

You might want to install lm_sensors and gnome-applet-sensors. That will let you put the cpu temps in the gnome panel. lm_sensors will also detect if you have a controllable fan. There isn't one on my laptop, however.

dd_wizard
Old 28th February 2010, 07:27 PM
BrillianceLin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desh Banks View Post
I have been using fedora for a few months now, and am getting annoyed at the fan running all the time.

I ran 'sensors', and got the following:
acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1: +69.0*C (crit = +100.0*C)

This is close to 130 ish degrees farenheight, far too hot for the tasks I am performing. I let it idle, and check the sensors report again, and the temperature is consistently slowly rising.

Clearly, the fans are on doing their job, preventing my laptop from dieing in a fire.

Why is it so hot? Something I can do to help this situation?

Laptop model: Dell Studio 15. I run a hot processor( 2.66 T9550 dual core), but windows is never this hot.

thanks to any replies. Booting to windows before my fingers melt.
Does your laptop use Nvidia graphic card? And do you still using the open source Nvidia driver? If both questions are yes, you may need to consider switch to Nvidia proprietary driver, since the open source drive has problem on the frequency scaling. In my case once it reach full frequency, it will not go back. I know the proprietary driver is very glitchy, by at least it can maintain your hard ware functionality.
Old 2nd March 2010, 03:53 AM
Desh Banks Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Thanks for the replies.

I am using an ATI mobility radeon. Excuse my ignorance, but my assumption is this is an OS problem/incompatability, not a hardware problem, as Windows 7 and Vista worked fine, and were not causing these problems.

Edit: Noticed 'npviewer.bin' running (apprently linked to watching videos on youtube) and using 20-40 percent of my cpu. Is there a reason for this? CPU still at around 130+ degrees, and rising, according to 'sensors'.

Last edited by Desh Banks; 2nd March 2010 at 03:58 AM.
Old 2nd March 2010, 04:29 AM
GoinEasy9 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
IMHO it's not an OS problem, probably some configuration problem, or, as said before, something to do with the ATI card and a combination of that with the Open Source driver. I have both a Dell Studio 17 (using Intel graphics) and a Dell Studio XPS 13 (using proprietary Nvidia drivers) that I have on all day long most days and have no problem with CPU temps. ATI drivers work on Windows but cannot run on F12 because the ATI folks don't keep up with the proper release of their Open Source drivers. I don't know if the new mesa-dri-drivers-experimental have improved scaling or not, but you might want to try them and see if they far any better with your laptop.
Registered Linux User #348347
Have you been seduced by siduction? http://siduction.org/index.php
Running Fedora 19/20, siduction and openSUSE 13.1 with KDE
Old 2nd March 2010, 05:58 AM
BrillianceLin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desh Banks View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I am using an ATI mobility radeon. Excuse my ignorance, but my assumption is this is an OS problem/incompatability, not a hardware problem, as Windows 7 and Vista worked fine, and were not causing these problems.

Edit: Noticed 'npviewer.bin' running (apprently linked to watching videos on youtube) and using 20-40 percent of my cpu. Is there a reason for this? CPU still at around 130+ degrees, and rising, according to 'sensors'.
It might have something to do with how much the OS chew your resource. If for whatever the reason there is one process chew up all the resource of your cpu and force it at full out all the time, then the heating problem may occur. I personally never seen such thing on fedora. But did run into this problem on my older machine with XP. npviewer consume 20-40% of CPU capacity seems like ok for me. Because mine is the same. But the CPU for 54 degrees Celsius seems to far on the high side. Mine is 42-45 for CPU and 52-56 for graphic card (depend on the cleanness of my heat sink).
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:15 PM
Desh Banks Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Fedora 12 running hot/fans running all the time

I have been monitoring running processes with the gnome system monitor, and haven't noticed anything spike cpu usage over the past two weeks. However, fans are still running, and cpu temperature still climbs higher after startup. I will look into the drivers suggested above. Thanks.
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:48 PM
BugRocks1 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

When was the last time you cleaned the heatsinks?
Old 24th March 2010, 01:40 AM
marko Offline

solarisopera

1) turn on cpuspeed service

chkconfig cpuspeed on
service cpuspeed start

2) go in your Desktop's power management s/w and set the profile to powersave instead of performance
(KDE-> System Settings->Advanced-> Power Management (edit profiles )
Fedora will usually default the profile to performance when the AC cable is plugged in and powersave
for when on battery. Performance mode will run your system hotter because cpuspeed will not back down
the processor when it's not busy.

3) If you don't use compiz or fancy desktop effects, turn compiz "Desktop effects" off
Old 28th March 2010, 08:25 PM
japafi Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

you can also try "powertop" to see what's eating all power (=causing heat) in your system
Old 12th April 2010, 12:07 PM
NikkiMassa Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Hi,

sorry to 're-open' this topic...

I have to run an application doing some major calculations that, even taking full (95% for most of the time) advantage of my 2 CPUs, will take a day to run.

But... after about 5 hours my notebook gets so hot that it shuts itself down!

What I need is that Fedora monitors the heat and slows down the CPUs when stuff is getting too hot. I'd rather wait a little longer for my analysis than have my notebook shut itself down after half of the work is done (which, in its turn, beats catching fire ). Will setting the KDE power management to powersave help? Any other ideas?

Cheers,
Nik

Tags
fedora, hot or fans, running, time