Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th May 2017, 10:07 PM
PhyChm Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Building a Linux Machine :: Handpicking Components

Hopefully, by the end of the year, I intend to upgrade my hardware. That being said, in my usage of Linux vs the hardware i've owned, I've become dissatisfied with several hardware manufacturers. NVidia, ASUS (Mobos), I haven't bought Creative Labs in years, Basically any peripheral branded Microsoft...

But I got to thinking, what DOES the Linux community think as far as hardware. I've read several articles about the linux GURUs who seem to center around Intel hardware. I thought i'd ask for a general opinion - at least from the folks here on Fedora. I'm also very interested in the push from AMD/ATi to be more Linux friendly. I couldn't care less if the cards are not as fast as NVidia (my days of super fast frame rates are done).
Old 8th May 2017, 01:33 AM
nsnbm Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Building a Linux Machine :: Handpicking Components

In the past the best advice I received from my local linux users group was to check out the hardware that the developers use. The info is not in any single place, but developer's lists and blogs often reveal it. Another approach is to search the net for hardware experiences. Lists of hardware suitable for linux are often out of date and so not current, so searching currently often turns up experiences. Another approach is to identify the hardware that is used by companies that sell linux compatible computers. They often list their hardware in their specs. Another approach is to use live disks to test hardware to see if it works with the installed kernels. As you mentioned, Intel is favoured. It's well-supported. On "what DOES the Linux community think as far as hardware", I found a multiplicity of views. There isn't a single view. Though Intel is popular, AMD proponents proliferate as well.
Old 8th May 2017, 03:39 AM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

If you are into gaming, checkout Tom's Hardware For desktop computing, Phoronix

I am planning a July purchase of a Ryzen based system. The reason -- good performance and a great price.
I do lots of compiling and testing and I am not into gaming. Thats the reason for my going Ryzen. Something like a 1600 or 1700 cpu together with fast memory.

One person on this forum has described his experiences with Ryzen. Check it out via the forum search.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 8th May 2017, 01:14 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorachrome

I'm 50/50 with regards Intel and AMD (using fedora packaged drivers) these days. Both work okay with Linux for basic desktop and web rendering so will accommodate the majority of users. NVIDIA (using nouveau) are certainly more problematic for the latest hardware so if you purchase an nvidia card choosing one at least one generation behind seems the better option for nouveau at least. Proprietary blobs for nvidia can be a nightmare as well because their kernel support never reliably keeps up with fedora's kernel release pace.

There used to be a hardware thread here in this section of the forum where users posted their configuration, what worked, what steps were necessary to get any problems resolved etc. It was more specific to notebooks but seems to have been abandoned anyhow.

What I use (still available for purchase new)

AMD Athlon 5350 SoC Quad core
Gigabyte GA-AM1M-S2H
8 GB Kingston HyperX LP DDR3 1600 using XMP profile
1 TB 3.5" Seagate Internal 'Desktop' 7200rpm SATA-III HDD (ST1000DM03)
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSB0

The Athlon 5350 is a system on chip. The gigabyte board has a separate RTC chip and apart from that, Realtek HD audio codec and Realtek Gigabit LAN. All of which work without any issues across all Linux distributions.

The only workaround I use for this system and kernels from the current 4.X.XXX series is blacklisting the sp5100_tco kernel module. It just gets rid of a resource already in use message during boot and doesn't seem to stop anything working.

There are no free SATA ports but I don't need to add any more devices to this system. It's a very quiet and compact but reasonably potent machine that I use to run virtual machines as well at times, which it handles with no problems.

My 2015 notebook is of course only available second hand now. new versions are available using more recent Intel components. here's the details anyhow

Fujitsu Lifebook A512
Intel Core i3-3110M
Intel HD 4000 graphics (built into the i3-3110m processor)
16 GB DDR3 (supplied with 4GB, upgraded with matched micron modules)
Crucial MX300 525GB SSD (fitted by me)
Intel 2230 Wireless + Bluetooth adaptor
Realtek Gigabit LAN
Realtek Card Reader
ALPS touchpad
OEM supplied TSST SATA ODD (cheap drives which need handling very gently to avoid damaging the motor housed in the disc spinner itself)
StarTech 2-Port Flush Mount ExpressCard/54 USB 3.0 card (ECUSB3S254F)

No issues at all with the notebook and Fedora. It's all pretty much reference Intel design apart from the odd realtek component but they all work. I've not used the webcam, it's covered up. It's possible to install an OS to a USB 3 thumb drive or external HDD and boot from it. I have Fedora installed to a Sandisk USB 3.0 Ultra Fit 64GB which I run it from at present. I had it installed to the SSD but re-installed windows and never got round to putting Fedora back there.
Old 8th May 2017, 05:28 PM
jpenguin Online

Using a custom kernel http://bit.ly/2oDKpGO, with my recent build bit.ly/2oEDdLdbit.ly/2oEDdLd no problems, using oss GPU drivers

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old 9th May 2017, 04:06 AM
PhyChm Offline

linuxchrome

I should note that my motivation for posting this has to do with the fact that, for example, attempting to install Fedora Scientific on my desktop presented many weird strange issues that has not only did not resulted in a bootable install but screwed my windows dual boot. The catch to this story is however that previously, I ran Fedora Workstation since Fedora 23. I NEVER had issues.

Dunno why KDE gave me so many issues or why its so detrimental. I did not have such issues with Fedora Scientific install on my Asus laptop, went of without a hitch. The first problem with the KDE install on my desktop centered around my dual GPU - Tri Monitor setup. I then discovered however it wouldn't write the boot partition on a UEFI install. It would boot to grub but grub couldn't see my Windows or Fedora OS... Can't figure it out. I did the same thing a hundred times on Fedora Workstation but Fedora Scientific all of a sudden is acting like Microsoft...

That being said, on my next system I am going to attempt to hand pick Linux friendly components if I can.
Old 17th May 2017, 05:47 PM
jpenguin Online

Everyone should keep around a gparted CD or USB & a super grub disk

Old 17th May 2017, 10:37 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

using rEFInd is the easiest option
Old 18th May 2017, 05:53 AM
hiGuys Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpenguin View Post
Everyone should keep around a gparted CD or USB & a super grub disk

Although it is no longer free, PartedMagic is another one to keep on hand. Saved me countless times.

Tags
building, components, handpicking, linux, machine