Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > The Dungeon > Archived (Click Header To See Sub-Forums) > F26 Development Forum
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

F26 Development Forum F26 Development Forum Pretty much exactly what it sounds like it is. This is the place to discuss and assist in the community development of F26. WARNING: Any pre-release versions, Beta included, are for experienced testers only. Back up all existing data and read all threads in the version Development Forum before attempting an install. Errors can and will likely occur which may include data destruction or inability to boot other partitions on any and possibly all attached hard drives. While FedoraProject needs and appreciates testers, you must remember to report issues directly to Bugzilla, after checking for pre-existing bugs.

Old 15th May 2017, 06:47 PM
TablePC Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Getting started with Alpha and Beta testing

I've decided to start testing the Alpha and Beta pre-releases. There are some applications that I use that do not seem to be very popular; so I thought it would be good to start doing this to test the applications I rely on and help with other general testing too.

In a few days I will have a PC that will be dedicated to the purpose. The PC will have nothing on it to start with and will be cleared of everything before starting a new Alpha or Beta. Before the PC gets here I need to know where to get the Alphas and Betas, How to install them, and what the bug reporting process is if different from regular released versions.

Are there established procedures the Alpha and Beta testers are expected to follow or do testers follow their own ideas as to what they should test and how they should test it?

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

Have a Great Day!
Old 15th May 2017, 07:11 PM
lsatenstein Online

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Getting started with Alpha and Beta testing

Google Fedora Alpha 26 and you will get this link
There is no official beta out, but the Fedora26 versions that you may be interested in testing are found here

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 15th May 2017, 07:22 PM
Kobuck Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

A good place to get testing participation info.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Jo...ase-validation
Embedded: BeagleBone Blk / ARM AM3358 1 GHz x1/ 512MB/ 2GB eMMC/ PowerVR SGX530/ fc25.armv7hl
Old 2nd June 2017, 03:16 PM
TablePC Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Thanks for the help I've had the Alpha loaded and running for several days now. I found a bug, but I got distracted; so by the time I got around to file a bug report the problem was already fixed. I guess I better pick up the pace.

On a little more disappointing note, As I was looking through the Common Bugs I found one about my favorite Wayland issue. It seems they consider it a security feature to keep the applications that need root access from running. How about allowing it as long as the account trying to start the application is an administrator?

To me, it seems like having a line in my .bashrc file with "xhost +SI:localuser:root" is also a security risk.
Old 2nd June 2017, 04:47 PM
Kobuck Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

The security concern was enabling X to run at root level. Because of its structure it basically "opened" your system. I read the bugzilla ( sorry I don't have no record of the # ) where the Fedora maintainers outlined their position on this issue.

My summary from recall:

Current tools available to application developers eliminate the need for X "root" permissions to accomplish their tasks. As with any advance in services there is a need for application developers to update their code base. Basically the Fedora maintainers see no reason to compromise security by allowing X root access.

I support the position and "hope" there is a concerted effort on the part of developers to bring their code up to date. If the code is dormant then the Fedora team needs to find alternatives.

The "xhost +SI:localuser:root" solution is really no different than signing on with X org at login ( means you continue with X and "root" access).
Embedded: BeagleBone Blk / ARM AM3358 1 GHz x1/ 512MB/ 2GB eMMC/ PowerVR SGX530/ fc25.armv7hl
Old 2nd June 2017, 05:39 PM
kldixon Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
I read the bugzilla ( sorry I don't have no record of the # ) where the Fedora maintainers outlined their position on this issue.
Probably this?
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1274451
Old 4th June 2017, 12:48 AM
TablePC Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Yes, That appears to be the correct bug number. Reading the discussion was very informative. I agree with the need for better security and holding Wayland at the higher security level. However, as noted by one of those who participated in the bug discussions, people will continue to use the tools they need. That means using xhost with the security issues.

There appear to be several affected GUI applications that need some kind and degree of root access. The solution seems to be that either the original developers of the applications re-write them to use polkit or someone develops new applications that use polkit.

My first question is: How do the original developers become aware of the situation so they can decide if they want to re-write their application? Then, how does the general community become aware of their decision so the cases where new applications are needed can be identified.

I wouldn't mind helping if I can. I don't write C; so my first question is can Polkit be used via Python? My second question is, given a "yes" to my first question, where can I find a tutorial on polkit; so I can start studying. I've never coded an application like this before so my learning curve will be long, but I figure I should get started giving back.
Old 7th June 2017, 01:10 PM
TablePC Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Well, I found the Polkit manual at:

https://www.freedesktop.org/software...t/docs/latest/

I also found out that APIs for Python do exist for Polkit. The D-Bus API seems to be the most discussed, but I've also found some web pages that talk about GObject being used to interface with Polkit.

One strange thing I've run into is that in the code examples I've found, the referenced libraries do not seem to be available in the Fedora repository. Some of this is because the examples are based on the old Policykit instead of the new Polkit. However even in the Polkit examples the referenced libraries don't seem to be in the Fedora repository.

These missing libraries seem very odd since everything I've read lately says that people should use Polkit when writing user level applications that need access to root protected items. Does anyone have an Idea why the libraries are apparently not available in the Fedora repository?

Thanks in advance for your continuing help on this.

Tags
alpha, beta, started, testing