Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th May 2017, 02:50 AM
schotty Offline

linuxfedorachrome
Angry [SOLVED] Help with bumblebee or forcing NVIDIA driver

Greetings!

I recently purchased a laptop (Dell Inspiron 5577) that has a NVIDIA 1050 in it. Getting bumblebee going via the wiki article seems to not be doing the trick, unless I am missing the point of bumblebee. The unit locks up over everything. Cant use anything other than Wayland + Gnome. I also cannot use for example many applications including "sudo gedit nameoffile" since it states that an x session cannot be created.

What are my options here? I could try reloading and starting from scratch again, but frankly I bought this FOR the NVIDIA card. Is there any way to force it outside of the BIOS (no option there that I could locate) to just use the discrete card? Or a fix that I am oblivious to? Seems like I should be able to use xorg, but those options cause an instant lock-up during the load to desktop.

Thanks!
Andrew.

Last edited by schotty; 13th May 2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old 13th May 2017, 06:05 PM
schotty Offline

linuxfedorachrome
Re: Help with bumblebee or forcing NVIDIA driver

Figured this out. Fifth time is the charm

A package that was getting installed was pulling in some nvidia libs that changed some GL libraries.

Got pissed/bored and decided to step thru this very carefully. Following literally just the Bumblebee docs from the fedora wiki worked fine. That made me think of what I had done to the system to obviously break it.

Sofar, I was in GNOME Wayland, now in GNOME Xorg, no app issues, and bumblebee turns on and off just fine. And from what I have installed it wasn't Crossover that broke things (was worried there for a bit) nor Steam. Crossover straight from Codeweavers, and Steam from rpmfusion (think my desktop is using Negativo's build).

For those interested:

Fedora 25
i7-7700hq (Kabylake GT2)
nVIDIA 1050 mobile.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bumblebee : using the managed nVIDIA drivers.

Tags
bumblebee, driver, forcing, nvidia