Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th May 2017, 12:39 AM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxchrome
Re: Is there a guide to convert arch's PKGBUILD to RPM packages?

I twiddled my spec file until it successfully compiled and built the package(s), which brought it back very close to what your original spec file was. The compile error was due to me using just "%make_build" alone, without the "-j1" directive. Because %make_build by itself resolves to,
Code:
$ rpm -E %make_build
/usr/bin/make -O -j4
Well, this code can't cope with multi-thread compiling, or so it would seem. So you figured out everything that had to be done to make this work.
Old 4th May 2017, 12:01 PM
ThanosApostolou Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I've successfully build now all otcl, tclcl, ns, nam. I used ./configure instead of %configure and --enable-static to all of them except for the nam, similar to how it's done in AUR, because otherwise I was running into libraries problems. Also I used install commands instead of %make_install because as you said its install script is kinda broken. I will upload the final specs on my github in order to see them.

I'm trying to package the xgraph which has a pre-compiled source. The thing is that I need to use different source for i386 and different source for x86-64 the same way i have done it in the AUR (https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.g...D?h=xgraph-bin). Arch's pkgbuild can use source_i686 and source_x86_64 but I cannot find anything equivalent for RPM. So how do I do that?
Old 4th May 2017, 12:57 PM
ThanosApostolou Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Ok I've done some tricks and now I have successfully build them all. You can see the spec files and the sources at the new github repository: https://github.com/ThanosApostolou/o...ns2-nam-xgraph (I have included all the sources so that if you clone this repository you should be able to build them right away if you want to test them).

I will try to build them with mock too in order to find which dependencies are really needed for each, because it's hard to do that in my local system.

If you have time to check them and find any improvements then please tell me, because I will probably try to create a copr repository in the future and I want the spec files to be in good quality for fedora standards.

Anyway, for now I can do my university's projects:
Old 4th May 2017, 03:03 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

kudos and thanks for sharing the github link
Old 4th May 2017, 06:24 PM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxchrome

Just a suggestion on how you can simplify your spec file for tclcl (and others also).
Original:
Code:
%install
install -Dm755 tcl2c++ %{buildroot}/%{_bindir}/tcl2c++
install -Dm644 config.h %{buildroot}/%{_includedir}/config.h
install -Dm644 idlecallback.h %{buildroot}/%{_includedir}/idlecallback.h
install -Dm644 iohandler.h %{buildroot}/%{_includedir}/iohandler.h
install -Dm644 rate-variable.h %{buildroot}/%{_includedir}/rate-variable.h
install -Dm644 tclcl-config.h %{buildroot}/%{_includedir}/tclcl-config.h
install -Dm644 tclcl-internal.h %{buildroot}/%{_includedir}/tclcl-internal.h
install -Dm644 tclcl-mappings.h %{buildroot}/%{_includedir}/tclcl-mappings.h
install -Dm644 tclcl.h %{buildroot}/%{_includedir}/tclcl.h
install -Dm644 timer.h %{buildroot}/%{_includedir}/timer.h
install -Dm644 tracedvar.h %{buildroot}/%{_includedir}/tracedvar.h
install -Dm644 libtclcl.a %{buildroot}/%{_libdir}/libtclcl.a

%files
%{_includedir}/config.h
%{_includedir}/idlecallback.h
%{_includedir}/iohandler.h
%{_includedir}/rate-variable.h
%{_includedir}/tclcl-config.h
%{_includedir}/tclcl-internal.h
%{_includedir}/tclcl-mappings.h
%{_includedir}/tclcl.h
%{_includedir}/timer.h
%{_includedir}/tracedvar.h
%{_libdir}/libtclcl.a
Simplified:
Code:
%install
install -Dm755 tcl2c++ %{buildroot}/%{_bindir}
install -Dm644 config.h idlecallback.h iohandler.h rate-variable.h tclcl-config.h \
tclcl-internal.h tclcl-mappings.h tclcl.h timer.h tracedvar.h %{buildroot}/%{_includedir}
install -Dm644 libtclcl.a %{buildroot}/%{_libdir}

%files
%{_bindir}/tcl2c++
%{_includedir}/*.h
%{_libdir}/libtclcl.a
No need to repeat the file name in the target directory if the name is not being changed. Use of *glob* in the %files section is OK. Sure makes for a lot less typing.

Last edited by PabloTwo; 4th May 2017 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Missed one header file
Old 5th May 2017, 11:27 AM
ThanosApostolou Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Thx for the tips, I will try to apply them in any other packages I will make in the future.

After many tries, I have successfully created a copr repository (it's harder than it seems...) https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co...s2-nam-xgraph/

I made some changes in order to make the packages work properly, so I will delete the github repository. If anyone wants to, the src.rpm files can be downloaded from the copr repository.

I will mark this as SOLVED. Nevertheless, it would be a great idea, if someone has enough experience and time available, to create a good tutorial/guide for PKGUBILD -> RPM and AUR -> COPR comparisons in order to help former arch users with the transition. The fedora documentation isn't complete or "smart enough" in my opinion. I will definitely miss the arch wiki which can cover 99% of cases in anything you search with just 2 pages of documentation.

Tags
arch, convert, guide, packages, pkgbuild, rpm