Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th March 2017, 10:33 PM
TablePC Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Fedora 25 recent posts

I've made several posts lately related to X11 and Wayland, but I want to be sure no one gets the wrong impression.

I Really Like Fedora! and I have the utmost respect for the folks that work on it. I Thank you all very much for this Great OS.

With all the major changes that have been implemented. I only had one problem and thanks to the folks here I not only have a workaround, but I also had the chance to read a lot about both X11 and Wayland. I'm far from being able to explain or recommend, but I feel comfortable with the workaround and I know some things that I didn't before.

The learning is one of the things that makes Fedora fun for me. Something like in the IBM mainframe days when I wanted to know what was behind the IOCS (library of stuff that made I/O to various devices fairly painless); so I started learning about the I/O channels and writing machine code to run them. I'm a long way from doing stuff like that with Fedora, but I'm sure I'll find more opportunities to learn and perhaps even contribute.

Anyway Yeah! Fedora!!!
Old 29th March 2017, 10:43 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Fedora 25 recent posts

You aren't alone here, Wayland is very much a development project so everyone is on a learning curve.

Fedora made it the default instead of Xorg with the hope that people would report bugs and feedback any usage scenarios that they hit stumbling blocks with.
Old 30th March 2017, 04:41 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by TablePC View Post
I've made several posts lately related to X11 and Wayland, but I want to be sure no one gets the wrong impression.

I Really Like Fedora! and I have the utmost respect for the folks that work on it. I Thank you all very much for this Great OS.

With all the major changes that have been implemented. I only had one problem and thanks to the folks here I not only have a workaround, but I also had the chance to read a lot about both X11 and Wayland. I'm far from being able to explain or recommend, but I feel comfortable with the workaround and I know some things that I didn't before.

The learning is one of the things that makes Fedora fun for me. Something like in the IBM mainframe days when I wanted to know what was behind the IOCS (library of stuff that made I/O to various devices fairly painless); so I started learning about the I/O channels and writing machine code to run them. I'm a long way from doing stuff like that with Fedora, but I'm sure I'll find more opportunities to learn and perhaps even contribute.

Anyway Yeah! Fedora!!!
Well, it's pretty much a trade-off using Fedora. You do get on the bleeding edge of things, but a lot of times that means that things get broken when new code gets pushed out. Like the Wayland switch.... It's really not quite ready for "production" use, but it's being put into Fedora and getting a wider test bed than the developers could give it on just their own systems. So, it's going to come with problems.

Aaahhhh... Good ole IBM mainframe... IOCS?? LIOCS or PIOCS? I am very familiar with IOCS as I had to write a lot of code interfacing with spoolers. (POWER, JES2, JES3, etc...) I still work on the mainframes, but haven't really gotten down to machine level code in a few years. Still write a lot of Assembler, though.
Old 30th March 2017, 01:10 PM
HaydnH Online

windows_7chrome

Remember Fedora is an "incubator and proving ground for features that eventually get incorporated into Red Hat Enterprise Linux"*, while I still choose Fedora for home use, you have to expect the odd curve ball with the new stuff.

*Redhat's own words:

https://www.redhat.com/en/technologi...edora-and-rhel
Old 30th March 2017, 01:51 PM
TablePC Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

When I first decided that I needed to switch from that non-linux OS. I read about the various distributions and discussed my findings with other colleagues that used a linux distribution for their non-paid PC activities.

I selected Fedora for two main reasons. First I wanted an OS that would be on the leading edge. I was also very influenced by the fact that it is sponsored by Redhat. Though for only a few months, I worked on implementing a Redhat linux solution to a hardware product need for a former employer. It was a very good experience and I gained a lot of respect for Redhat. I'm very much impressed that a lot of Redhat folks are very involved with Fedora.

Though I like being on the lead edge, I didn't want to loose too much "blood"; so for the first few releases, I always waited for the release to be about six months old before I installed it. I was still on the six month cycle, but six months behind the edge. Then when I found that F23 was not compatible with my A10 processor units, I went to F24 when it was only about two months old. I was very pleased to find that only issues I ran into were with some of the early Wayland stuff and the workarounds were easy. Now I'm running about two months back from the edge.

I'm currently thinking that with F26, I'll install it at about the one month point. I'm very curious about F26 and Wayland.

All this talk has me a bit nostalgic. Have you folks ever heard of or read about Project MAC? I remember reading a quote in one of my Spectrum journals from a Project MAC member "The road to hell is paved with NAND gates". That brought a smile to my face so I went and started reading some of the reports from the project. I found them very inspiring. The project ran from the mid. 1960s to the early 70's and it provided the root beginning of things we take for granted today. Indeed some are just reaching useful implementations today. Here are a couple of links to a couple of the reports incase you might like to read some.

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/687770.pdf

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a004966.pdf
Old 30th March 2017, 04:34 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
Well, it's pretty much a trade-off using Fedora. You do get on the bleeding edge of things, but a lot of times that means that things get broken when new code gets pushed out. Like the Wayland switch.... It's really not quite ready for "production" use, but it's being put into Fedora and getting a wider test bed than the developers could give it on just their own systems. So, it's going to come with problems.

Aaahhhh... Good ole IBM mainframe... IOCS?? LIOCS or PIOCS? I am very familiar with IOCS as I had to write a lot of code interfacing with spoolers. (POWER, JES2, JES3, etc...) I still work on the mainframes, but haven't really gotten down to machine level code in a few years. Still write a lot of Assembler, though.
I come from a MVS, CMS TOS 1401 Autocoder, cobol, assembly language TSO scripts, JCL background
Yes, I go that far back.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 30th March 2017, 05:23 PM
TablePC Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

The thing I miss about those old machines is that they were really impressive to look at. In the 70s, when you brought someone new into the room with a System 360 their eyes opened wide and their was something like wow or oooh issuing from their mouth. The prior generation machines like the 1400 and 1600 series were a sight to behold when the room lighting was off or dim. With all of the above machines, you could trouble shoot your program, fix it, and restart it all from the front panel.

These days the PCs are way more powerful with lots more I/O cabability, etc., but even though I have a really fancy model here next to me, it's Nothing to look at. I miss the flashing lights. Though I really like the capability to run a simulation without it taking a LONG time.

Ya I know they have light up fans and stuff you can use to decorate a PC, but they don't show anything about the machine's state or anything else that might be useful. Useful lights and switches, that's what we need.
Old 30th March 2017, 07:17 PM
tim8723 Offline

linuxfirefox
Wink Re: Fedora 25 recent posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TablePC View Post
The thing I miss about those old machines is that they were really impressive to look at. In the 70s, when you brought someone new into the room with a System 360 their eyes opened wide and their was something like wow or oooh issuing from their mouth.
I was a young engineering student in 1970. I worked at a large company as a co-op student. One day, I saw the IBM 360, and I was immediately hooked. I eventually dropped out of engineering and went on to a 34 year career in IT systems, mainly in database administration.

Tim
Old 30th March 2017, 07:21 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

i've worked with racks of blade servers that looked quite nice with LEDs that at least indicate some useful information about their state. In that context I'm all for lighting on computers, even the odd LED readout panel.

However, I actually prefer not to light up machines like a mix between a modified car and dutch brothel window when building them but that's personal preference and usually more requested fortunately.

Tags
fedora, posts, recent