Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st September 2016, 06:08 AM
bastibasti Offline

windows_7firefox
LXDM not recognizing installed @kde

Hi,

sometimes I like to switch between DMs. I installed basically all of them, however KDE is not in the selection list, like cinnamon, gnome etc.

the startkde script is installed and usable. What do I need to do to make lxdm recognize kde?
Old 1st September 2016, 06:31 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: LXDM not recognizing installed @kde

It doesn't show up as KDE in the DM. It shows up as Plasma. Do you have Plasma in your selection list?
Old 1st September 2016, 07:05 AM
bastibasti Offline

windows_7firefox

OMG i do feel a little embarrest right now
Thanks!
Old 1st September 2016, 03:29 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

No reason to feel embarrassed It really is kinda misleading, especially if you are new to Linux (or just new to KDE). You install KDE, Just about everything you see refers to KDE, but yet they call it Plasma in the menu. If you hunt around, you will then learn they call it KDE Plasma desktop, or some such nonsense

Oh, and Welcome to Fedora Forum... Feel free to ask if you have any questions/problems. People here are generally really helpful, and most are fairly tolerant of new users that are trying to learn linux/fedora.

I too have switched up desktops in the past. I went through a period (right after Gnome 3 shell came out) where I hated Gnome 3 and was looking to switch. I finally settled on Xfce for my use here, but still check out the others every once in awhile.
Old 2nd September 2016, 01:07 PM
bastibasti Offline

windows_7firefox

The reason I ask is that I created a f24 spin, with all desktops inside and some additional software (gimp, wine etc) and I was really confused not havin seen the kde. I usually use lxde only, and some kde apps, so i was not very familiar with that.... The spin also has updated software as I got a little upset having to download the live image and then having to download almost the same amount of data for the update ;-)
Old 2nd September 2016, 03:13 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Ben Williams occasionally puts out an updated live image after the releases. In fact, he just released one about a week ago.

You can grab his updated images here:

http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/live-respins/

Edit:

He has put out an updated live image for all of the major desktops. Cinnamon, KDE, LXDE, Mate, Gnome, and Xfce.
Old 2nd September 2016, 03:28 PM
Madtiger Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
Ben Williams occasionally puts out an updated live image after the releases. In fact, he just released one about a week ago.

You can grab his updated images here:

http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/live-respins/

Edit:

He has put out an updated live image for all of the major desktops. Cinnamon, KDE, LXDE, Mate, Gnome, and Xfce.
So would his F24-x86_64-KDE-20160823.iso be the KDE-PLASMA spin? I just want to know before I download it.

Thank You
Old 3rd September 2016, 02:03 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Yes. The KDE spin is KDE Plasma

Pretty much just an updated KDE spin that Fedora has on their download page. Has the same stuff, just updated.
Old 3rd September 2016, 02:07 AM
Madtiger Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Ok, thank you
Old 13th February 2017, 12:55 AM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

If you do "yum install plasma-desktop" , you will then have lxdm, and lightdm , and everything else, recognize KDE, and it is now called "Plasma".

Tags
@kde, installed, lxdm, recognizing