For lack of anything more interesting to do with my early morning time today I decided to upgrade a spare Fedora 18 box to Fedora 19 using fedup. There was a glitch during the first run of fedup. In fact, the operation failed.
testing upgrade transaction
Upgrade test failed with the following problems:
Insufficient disk space
Need 29M free on /boot (1K free)
fedup ERROR: Upgrade test failed.
I didn't know how to handle this or what to do about it so I decided to just do a clean install. Then I got distracted for a short time by other things. When I got back to the upgrade I started wondering how I could avoid a fresh install and how to free up space on /boot.
Looking at a file listing of /boot I saw that there were 60-70 files, all initramfs, System.map, and vmlinuz files. I remembered that I had set installonly_limit=10 in /etc/yum.conf (why? I dunno really). Realizing that I could retrieve a ton of space by simply deleting some of these old files, I did just that. Now I had almost 200M free, more than enough to try the upgrade again. I reran my fedup command.
sudo fedup-cli --network 19
The operation took quite a long time. As I recall there were some 1600+ packages that were upgraded. Fedup did what it was supposed to do and in the end the box rebooted into Fedora 19.
It was a pleasant surprise to see that the whole operation was a success. The real surprise for me though was in the the fact that on this box I had a working installation of MediaWiki and MoinMoin (both backed up before hand) and NFS mounts to my server. This all still works without any intervention on my part. Nice!