Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th July 2017, 03:11 AM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfedorafirefox
F26 Install - issues

Okay, I'm now on F26. Whoopie. Keep in mind that I've installed every version since FC-2. Also keep in mind that in 3 weeks I'll turn 72yrs. old. So, here goes:

I had to stop the installation three times with what should have been a pretty simple task. On my 500 gig drive, I have 3 versions of Fedora, one version of Mint and a swap file (plus the boot). So, naturally I wanted to use a Custom installation to wipe out either Mint or F23 as obsolete. And there is where I met my problem.

Only the Fedora versions, swap and boot were found, no record of Mint??? Okay, let's simply use my favorite ext4 and format F23. Okay... but NO! It seems that I have not allocated the recommended Swap space. Okay, let's change that and increase from 1.5 gig to 5 gig. Uh-uh! It seems that Swap cannot be adjusted or increased???? No explanation, no solutions, just "unable to adjust". In fact, it seems that I cannot adjust the size of any of the partitions within Anaconda. Why not?

So, yeah, I could have killed the installation, grabbed another disk and fixed it all before booting the Fedora F26 disc. But, why not give some feedback? Why not show all the actual partitions instead of just the Fedora-related ones? And, why, when I stop the installation and revert to the desktop, does the "install Fedora" link disappear from the desktop. I'm not a new user, but if I were, I'd be breaking that DVD in half and going with another distro.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 12th July 2017, 07:22 PM
VernDog Offline

linuxchrome
Re: F26 Install - issues

Yes, I had issue with the swap being too small, I just push Done a couple of times and it went ahead with a Warning. Completed with the smaller than recommended swap.

The new installation was a pain! I finally managed to finagle it to show my partitions, of which I wanted to install into an existing partition.

The chose selection had some bazaar looking symbols , that I managed to select.

ps: I'm 73?!
Old 17th July 2017, 07:10 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

I upgraded one of my machines to F26, and now can't get LightDM to start. It errors out and gives that dreaded and nearly impossible to diagnose error of g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

Blah...

Been trying to track it down, but haven't had a lot of time to spend on it. Installed sddm and it does the same thing. Refuse to install GDM with all the crap it brings in with it.
Old 17th July 2017, 11:46 AM
nsnbm Online

linuxfedorafirefox

lxdm works here on f26 ... also gnome free. Haven't tried lightdm or sddm.
Old 17th July 2017, 08:28 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxchrome

Hi Bob, Age 72 eh? boasting or complaining or looking for excuses

Over time I have become quite familiar with Anaconda's idiosyncrasies. I presume you wanted to replace one of the existing systems. Its very easy if you had labeled each partition.

The way I do it is to click onto the custom radio button, followed by Done.

When the dust settles, I would have a list of previously used partitions below the area where there is a place to list the new ones.

From that list I'd click on it, choose a partition and then onto the update button.

I first select biosboot. its typically 1024Kib and I select to reformat it. Then I look for the /boot partition, also around 1024Kib and chose reformat it.

Ditto for /.

I choose ext4 as the preferred format, except if it's an SSD.

For /home, I chose to not reformat it

I treat swap as follows:
If the swap partition is shared between the other Linux installations, I first click to reformat it, which will include that swap file on the top list. Then I immediately reselect it from the top and click to not reformat it. The reason I do so is that If the swap is formatted, it gets a new UUID= value. That UUID change can impact the other systems that share that partition. /etc/fstab contains a list of the partitions used by any linux system. Typically it lists the members in UUID= mode.

After the above steps, it's a confirmation and on to assigning a user and passwords.

Anaconda is pretty well designed. In this area of allocation management, I get the feeling that there were afterthoughts added to the initial design. When you have multiple disks, and you want to take partitions from other disks, then its a hassle. In your case, you described a one disk installation.

Cheers

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Last edited by lsatenstein; 17th July 2017 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 19th July 2017, 10:09 PM
dcharlespyle Offline

linuxfedorachrome

Upgrade to F26 from F25 went fairly flawlessly. And now all my WINE applications are broken and I cannot do any work requiring use of those applications. Also found that all beesu scripts were obsoleted and removed. I also use those for administration tasks but I know ways around that so that isn't too much trouble. But the fact that an upgrade broke WINE completely and causes PlayOnLinux to display WINE windows incorrectly is a serious issue for my situation. Apps crashing all over the place and if they do manage to run they don't show any contents in the windows and clicking on them will cause them to hang. Says I don't have gstreamer installed but I do. Tried to do workaround by adding "*winegstreamer"="disabled" but that does not work, either. Anyone else experiencing this and found a way around the problem? Tried it in both GNOME and GNOME with Xorg. No change.
Old 20th July 2017, 01:27 AM
bob Online

linuxfedorafirefox

Leslie, I would have expected that anaconda would work exactly as you described. Used to do that, and I have always labeled my partitions. But, that's not what I found this time, just Fedora partitions. And if you're going to complain about swap space, shouldn't you make it easy to adjust it?

Yes, I could have shut down Fedora, grabbed my trusty gparted disc before I started this whole exercise and dumped Mint or increased swap or carved out another partition altogether. I've done it 100 times over the years, however I'm concerned why anaconda is so obtuse for a new user.

Old 20th July 2017, 02:41 AM
marko Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Swap is pretty much unnecessary now anyway with the amount of ram in many machines, None of my pcs have swap.

The swap complaint can be ignored, I just hit the Done button twice and move on and never had a problem.
Old 20th July 2017, 03:18 AM
bob Online

linuxfedorafirefox

Pretty true, of course, but then why the warning? Same swap/ram for maybe 5-6 years and no warning before or problems before or since. It's not that I personally had problems that I couldn't solve, but if this was my first Fedora install, it would also have been my last. My point is that a new Fedora user should not have to hit Done twice, ignore warnings or face restrictions of the partitions for the install.

Old 20th July 2017, 03:19 AM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Leslie, I would have expected that anaconda would work exactly as you described. Used to do that, and I have always labeled my partitions. But, that's not what I found this time, just Fedora partitions. And if you're going to complain about swap space, shouldn't you make it easy to adjust it?

Yes, I could have shut down Fedora, grabbed my trusty gparted disc before I started this whole exercise and dumped Mint or increased swap or carved out another partition altogether. I've done it 100 times over the years, however I'm concerned why anaconda is so obtuse for a new user.
Hi Bob,

When anaconda was first introduced, and before the system upgrade from release to release came about,
I used to wipe all or part of the disk clean, (a continuous area), and get anaconda to automatically do it's thing.

Now I use the custom option of anaconda. Think back, I think that you may not have noticed that within the split horizontally area when you went custom, it first shows the previous Fedora Linux(s) and it also shows (unknown) each remaining partitions on the selected drive(s).

What took me some time to figure out was: given data on B along with previous Fedora, desire for a new F26 system on E how to get anaconda to do what I wanted. Anaconda wants to install everything on B, (boot, biosboot, etc).

I found on the bottom margin of the selection screen,, a link to where I could assign the boot disk when multiple disks were involved. Its really convoluted, and I agree with you about your finding it obtuse.

Do you remember back a few releases when AW was applying pressure to the author(s) of anaconda, because it was the blocker. That's where stuff was added to just get it out the door, and its what we now have as the installer. Oh well, I do installs about every 2 weeks, and anaconda, when compared to some other installers, is a joy.

I am the type of guy who never watches or reads car adverts, but because I own a Honda Civic, I always watch and read the Honda Civic ads). I own Fedora (mentally), or Fedora owns me, and thus, I wont switch and live with anaconda, hoping for improvements.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 20th July 2017, 04:02 AM
Kobuck Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I've given up on using Anaconda to customize my partitions. I completely redefine my target disk w 'gdisk' then boot the install image and use custom definition to reformat and assign mount points. However, this time Anaconda decided to critique my partition sizes without any clues as to what qualified as acceptable sizes. It didn't like either my BIOS boot partition size or /boot and wouldn't accept any attempts at changes..

I wish I would have thought of the 'enter twice' response. I had to power down and start all over with bigger partitions.

This seems to be new as of the final release. I used the same process during beta releases and didn't encounter this until the final release.
Embedded: BeagleBone Blk / ARM AM3358 1 GHz x1/ 512MB/ 2GB eMMC/ PowerVR SGX530/ fc26.armv7hl

Tags
f26 , install , issues