Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th August 2007, 03:32 PM
terry_g Offline

adding fedora 7 grub to multi boot system

I have Fedora core 5 and 6 and 7 and windows 2000 installed on two hard drives on a multi boot system. Each version has a home partition and a root partition they share a swap partition. Fedora 5 and 6 share a boot partition hda10. When I installed Fedora 7 I installed the bootloader into hda8 the root partition. and then manually added the needed boot stanzas to Fedora 6's menu.lst. I recently did a kernel upgrade on Fedora 7 and had to manually edit the bootloader to load the new kernel. If I open a terminal and log in as root then "grub-install sda10" will that install the grub from Fedora 7? I would back up the current menu.lst and add the list to the new bootloader.
Thanks Terry
Old 16th August 2007, 03:44 PM
stevea

I don't like the "stanza" you added to hda10../boot/grub/grub.conf . You should IMO have used a stanza like this:

Quote:
title FC7
configfile (hd0,9)/boot/grub/grub.conf
This causes the hda8 config file to (when selected) pull up the hda10 config file. Thenyou need don't need to manually edit on kernel upgrade.
--
If you boot FC7, and you type "grub-install --no-floppy /dev/sda" then the this re-writes the MBR to boot the contents of the current /boot/grub (which is on sda10).

Tags
adding , boot , fedora , grub , multi