Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Wibble
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Wibble A place to have a sensible chat, about anything non linux related. Please remember that political and religious topics are not permitted.

Old 2nd January 2017, 04:38 PM
lsatenstein Online

linuxfedorafirefox
Is January 2 a legal holiday where you live?

Montreal Quebec, Canada YES. ; Legal holiday was created to stop road deaths following Jan 1 celebrations. Jan 2 used to be known as back to work day, now the day is reserved to allow Jan 1 to be the day to recover from the night before. Jan 2 is assigned as "to visit the stores to exchange gifts before going into the car for homeward 6 hour drive"

Whats the practice where you live?

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 2nd January 2017, 05:31 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Is January 2 a legal holiday where you live?

Well, this year, Jan 2 is the "official" holiday since Jan 1 fell on a Sunday. But, otherwise, Jan 2 is a normal working day.

Since most celebrations here in the US are on new years eve (Dec 31), Jan 1 is pretty much dead in terms of people being out and about.

As for exchanging gifts, You do NOT want to be in the stores for just about the entire 2-3 weeks following Christmas. It's actually worse than the week before Christmas and nearly as bad as the weekend after Thanksgiving.
Old 2nd January 2017, 06:03 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

Scotland have two official bank holidays this year because of Hogmanay being on Saturday, NYD on Sunday, ergo 2nd and 3rd of January. The rest of us get 2nd of January only. Same reason as the US.
Old 2nd January 2017, 09:44 PM
osce0 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I don't live there, but I know many Asian countries like China, Korea, and Singapore have two related holidays:

1. New Year (Jan 1)
2. Lunar New Year (3 days)

I don't know if they observe Jan 2 if Jan 1 falls on a Sunday. It could be possible that they don't because they already have Lunar New Year.

Anyone who knows?
Old 3rd January 2017, 12:00 AM
ozjd Offline

linuxchrome

The 2nd was a holiday in Australia for the same reason mentioned earlier. Usually it is a work day unless NYD falls on a weekend.

Public Holidays here are declared on a state by state basis and I understand at least one state didn't want to do it but ultimately gave in.
Old 3rd January 2017, 01:26 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by osce0 View Post
I don't live there, but I know many Asian countries like China, Korea, and Singapore have two related holidays:

1. New Year (Jan 1)
2. Lunar New Year (3 days)

I don't know if they observe Jan 2 if Jan 1 falls on a Sunday. It could be possible that they don't because they already have Lunar New Year.

Anyone who knows?
The Lunar New Year is a holiday that the date varies, and it's never on Jan 1 It is usually between Jan 21 and Feb 20. I think it's on Jan 28 this year (I believe that is when the new moon is. It is determined by the date of the second new moon after the winter solstice, or if going by the gregorian calender, the first new moon that falls between jan 21 and feb 20)

But, I believe that if you live in China itself (Peoples Republic of China) then you get 3 days holiday for New Year, but the Sat before and the Sun after are changed to be work days, so you pick up a net 3 days of holiday. With the 2 days swapped out (sat & sun) They shift it around so that you have 7 consecutive days off work.
Old 14th January 2017, 08:56 PM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxfedorachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsatenstein View Post
Whats the practice where you live?
Good to see ya Leslie, usually I'm recovering from the meat sweats - all the smoked and roasted meats I have consumed between Christmas and New Year's Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
As for exchanging gifts, You do NOT want to be in the stores for just about the entire 2-3 weeks following Christmas. It's actually worse than the week before Christmas and nearly as bad as the weekend after Thanksgiving.
Dan, Good to see you too. And I completely agree.

Can not believe it's been a couple of years since I posted, time flies. Happy New Year! And I must say, Fedora Workstation 25 is impressive. Did a Vanilla install - off of a Net Install Disk, added Google Chrome and everything works great.

Maybe my eyes have gotten better, but the fonts look great too!
Old 14th January 2017, 09:54 PM
Tquilha Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Not here in Portugal. Jan 1st is a national holiday, better known as "National Hangover Day". Jan 2nd is business as usual.
Old 14th January 2017, 10:09 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
Good to see ya Leslie, usually I'm recovering from the meat sweats - all the smoked and roasted meats I have consumed between Christmas and New Year's Day

Can not believe it's been a couple of years since I posted, time flies. Happy New Year! And I must say, Fedora Workstation 25 is impressive. Did a Vanilla install - off of a Net Install Disk, added Google Chrome and everything works great.

Good to see you back!

I totally agree, there have been quite a few improvements to Fedora in the past few years, fonts being just one of them. I think it had something to do with being able to use some things that they couldn't in the past due to licensing.

Overall, I really like F25. I still hate Gnome 3, but using Xfce, it is a really great release and suits my need very well. Yes, there are some of the changes that I don't care too much for, but most of them I can work around or get rid of.

Now... For the important stuff....

When is the BBQ gonna be ready?
Old 15th January 2017, 12:06 AM
lsatenstein Online

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post

Dave, If you want to stay friends, you must post a few good recipes. Our BBQ is covered with snow, but a couple of minutes with propane going, and it will be ready. How long do you marinate your beef? And we are also doing chicken that a few middle-east stores are marinating.
The chicken stuff is so good, that it during the night, we raid the fridge, so that there is nothing left by the AM.

Old 15th January 2017, 12:09 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

You can't have good BBQ using propane!

Actually, BBQ does indeed have much better flavor using wood... Charcoal can be used as well, but you still need some wood... Propane can be used, but then again, you must still use wood..
Old 15th January 2017, 12:39 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

windows_7mozilla

agreed, we use charcoal more than wood but never propane gas for a bbq. you may as well cook indoors if you're doing that because it lacks the flavour charcoal or wood add to the mix. okay it's a little messier but far more enjoyable.

until we had mains natural gas connected to the house our oven and hob were running off propane. it was a faff changing the cylinders over and our heating was running off paraffin oil which they delivered in a tanker, the disconnected storage tank is still in the garden hidden behind some dwarf conifer and we gave what was left that could be pumped out manually to a friend who lives in the next village. the rest will evaporate eventually and then we can remove the tank.
Old 15th January 2017, 12:40 AM
lsatenstein Online

linuxfedorafirefox

But when marinated,....

Montreal has it's own "smoked meat", which is marinated for a month or so, then hung, and steamed. Is better than Pastrami.
And when you add a large sour pickle, some coleslaw, and greasy FrenchFries, that's a drooling savoury feast

Re Propane, the importance is to allow the dripping grease to flame, and to have a tray of hickory wood chips between the meat and the burner(s)

Old 15th January 2017, 07:17 AM
Iron_Mike Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

You know grilling and BBQ are totally different right?
Old 15th January 2017, 08:06 AM
flyingdutchman Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Your hangover should be finished by Jan 2.