Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th March 2016, 10:10 PM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome
RIP Keith Emerson

Keith Emerson, of Emerson, Lake, and Palmer has passed away.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...at-71-20160311

I have a lot of memories--they were around in my high school days, and I'm sure that many of you from my time (or who got into their music later) have your own.

Their studio version of Aaron Copland's Hoedown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFCniNYZoFg

Lots of others I could have chosen, but this was always one of my favorites.
Old 11th March 2016, 10:24 PM
thick0 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: RIP Keith Emerson

I too enjoyed ELP during my youth. Unfortunately I missed the earlier stuff and only joined in when things got a bit bloated. Still I like to pull out the first LP and Trilogy every now and then

RIP
Old 12th March 2016, 12:39 AM
jbuckley2004 Online

linuxfedorafirefox

I was fortunate enough to see ELP in concert back in the mid-'70s. I recall how furiously they did Copland's "Hoe-Down" (You think the studio version is "up-tempo"? You would have to hear them do it live to REALLY hear "up-tempo"!)

Palmer was sitting, strapped in, apparently, on a platform that rotated. No, not horizontally, but vertically. He did a 360, drums and all, least once during the show while playing. It was spectacular to watch, but Emerson's theatrics matched his incredible talent on the keyboards. Lake routinely stood motionless as he played, a stark contrast. But his voice needed no embellishment beyond the sound system (which was substantial for the '70s).
Old 12th March 2016, 07:03 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

I'd never heard of them but enjoyed the linked instrumental a lot. It seems a lot of talented musicians are exiting the stage this year without an encore.
Old 12th March 2016, 11:00 PM
thick0 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by arehtykitna View Post
I'd never heard of them but enjoyed the linked instrumental a lot. It seems a lot of talented musicians are exiting the stage this year without an encore.
A story I read somewhere...Keith Emerson used knives to wedge the keys on his synth/organ down. I think he also used to throw the knives at the synth/organ. He was given the knives by his roadie at the time. The Roadie...Lemmy!
Old 13th March 2016, 11:44 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

I've found clips of Keith using knives on youtube
Old 13th March 2016, 03:35 PM
Temujin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

That's his stage organ the 1100 I think in the vid. He used that only for his shows and to beat on.The other organ was the prize. The Hammond C3 was like gold then and more so today. The original models only. When Hammond found out his organs were being used by rock musicians they changed the keys on the C3 so they could not be used for rock or so they story goes. If anyone out there finds one and you know what it is you got yourself a prize, more so if it has the matched amp. RIP
Old 25th December 2016, 01:41 AM
thick0 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

This is how the year started. Since then Keith Emerson's bandmate Greg Lake passed away and now Rick Parfitt of the Quo. Along the way we have had Bowie amongst others.

That said, should we be really surprised by the departure of chaps in their 60s who led a full life.
Old 25th December 2016, 09:06 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

Indeed, 2016 was voted d1ck of the year by The Last Leg viewers for pretty much this reason. Too many great musicians, actors, sportsmen and women have passed away this year.

I'm just hoping Carrie Fisher isn't the next. Hopefully she recovers from the heart attack but given the apparent severity it isn't looking hopeful for her either.
Old 25th December 2016, 08:56 PM
RichardET Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by smr54 View Post
Keith Emerson, of Emerson, Lake, and Palmer has passed away.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...at-71-20160311

I have a lot of memories--they were around in my high school days, and I'm sure that many of you from my time (or who got into their music later) have your own.

Their studio version of Aaron Copland's Hoedown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFCniNYZoFg

Lots of others I could have chosen, but this was always one of my favorites.
That's good, but the Bela Fleck version is much better.