Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th January 2017, 07:46 PM
0Ecliptica0 Offline

windows_7chrome
A Few Issues

Hi, everyone. I'm hoping someone can help with a couple of issues I'm having with a live CD of Fedora 25 (Mate-Compiz Desktop). I apologize if this has already been asked somewhere else.

I have two laptops that I use - one Windows 7 computer and a new computer that I put Linux Mint on.

On my Windows 7 laptop, I can boot right into Fedora 25 and get to the desktop. However, I can't seem to set up wireless Internet through NetworkManager. The only options that appear in NetworkManager are "Ethernet" and under Ethernet is "Wired connection 1."

I have CenturyLink and its connection doesn't appear. I also received an error message when first logging into the desktop that said: "Mate session crashed."

I decided to try using the CD on my new computer (the one with Linux Mint on it). On that computer, Fedora does not appear in the Grub menu and simply will not boot, even after I updated the Grub via the terminal. I'm completely new to Fedora, so for all I know these are easy fixes. I apologize for the length of the post. If this is the wrong place to post this, I'd really appreciate it if it could be moved to the proper place. Thanks in advance.
Old 11th January 2017, 01:01 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Mithrandir

linuxchrome
Re: A Few Issues

What wireless card does your windows 7 laptop have?

you can find our that information in Fedora by typing

Code:
 lspci
in a terminal.

Alternatively, you can type

Code:
 lspci -v
and see a more verbose out like shown below -

Code:
<snip>

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 10)
	Subsystem: Lenovo Device 380a
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 43
	I/O ports at 4000 [size=256]
	Memory at c0504000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
	Memory at c0500000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: r8169
	Kernel modules: r8169

02:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
	Subsystem: Lenovo Device b736
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19
	I/O ports at 3000 [size=256]
	Memory at c0400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: rtl8723be
	Kernel modules: rtl8723be
This will provide some info on whether any drivers are installed and loaded.

The Linux Documentation Project | Fedora Documentation
Old 11th January 2017, 01:40 AM
0Ecliptica0 Offline

linuxchrome

I checked under Device Manager in my Windows 7 computer earlier and the network adapter is listed as "Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card." Fedora's terminal listed the network controller as Broadcom Limited. There's probably something I'm missing or doing incorrectly here.
Old 11th January 2017, 02:00 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

If I remember correctly, that wireless card is the Broadcom 4312.
Old 11th January 2017, 02:03 AM
0Ecliptica0 Offline

linuxchrome

Ah, okay. Thank you. I'm wondering if I should try to add a "new" connection, or if it's something else causing it. When I first tested Linux Mint on that computer, the same thing concerning Internet connections happened. I'd like to try the CD on my new computer but it won't boot at all and won't appear in the Grub menu.
Old 11th January 2017, 10:26 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

I believe the necessary firmware for that Dell wireless device is not included in Fedora as it is proprietary broadcom (they don't make the code opensource). You'd need to load it in from RPMFusion. these instructions should still work okay. the kernel version numbers will of course be a little different but that doesn't matter since they don't form any part of the commands issued. Please note, you''ll need an active network connection to do this.

http://lifeofageekadmin.com/how-to-g...-on-fedora-23/

as for the MATE session crashed message, that is resolved once the system has been updated if you can establish a connection via LAN instead of WLAN to get it up and running with wireless too.
Old 11th January 2017, 03:33 PM
0Ecliptica0 Offline

windows_7chrome

I'll take a look at those instructions. Thank you. My only other issue is that Fedora doesn't boot up on my other (new) computer. It is also a Dell, but I can't configure anything necessary since it's not in Grub. I've checked around for fixes but I haven't been able to find the right source.
Old 12th January 2017, 05:38 AM
0Ecliptica0 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Smile Re: A Few Issues

I just wanted to give a quick update pertaining to the Fedora situation. With a bit of extra help, I managed to get it booted on my new computer. The fix was so obvious that I'm a little embarrassed; the only problem on my new computer (when it wasn't booting) was my boot order. I adjusted it and Fedora booted flawlessly, and I was also able to establish a network connection to my ISP.

As for my Windows PC, that's still unsolved, but since I'm able to run Fedora on the better computer, I'm not too concerned anymore. Thanks for all your help, guys! I'll mark this as "solved."
Old 12th January 2017, 04:22 PM
erfan Offline

You should search installing broadcom driver on fedora. akmod, akmod-devel, kernel-devel and some pakages needed to be installed too, just search for broadcom installation steps

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk
Old 12th January 2017, 06:42 PM
0Ecliptica0 Offline

linuxchrome

I'll do that. Thank you.
Old 13th January 2017, 01:03 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

windows_7mozilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by erfan View Post
You should search installing broadcom driver on fedora. akmod, akmod-devel, kernel-devel and some pakages needed to be installed too, just search for broadcom installation steps

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk
I provided a link to the instructions for that above

Tags
issues