Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th December 2012, 12:35 AM
bob p Offline

linuxfirefox
Question Anaconda doesn't add a non-root user account?

It seems that the new anaconda in F18 doesn't bother to ask if you'd like to add a user account. On the install that I just completed, it only set up a root account.

Can anyone tell me how the old anaconda used to set up the non-priv user account and groups in the past? Specifically I'm interested in knowing what groups need to be created for the non-priv user membership.

On my new install I've only got the superuser account, and I'm going to have to set-up the user account manually. I'd like to be sure that I get all of the group memberships done correctly, so that my new system will behave similarly to my old/existing systems. It would be helpful to know the typical group membership plan that anaconda used to use when it automated this process. Unfortunately the results i'm getting out of "groups" and "getent group" don't look right to me... I only see membership in the groupname that's the same as the username.

Thanks.
Old 13th December 2012, 01:44 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: Anaconda doesn't add a non-root user account?

Anaconda has never added a normal user account. The user account was added during firstboot, which should have been run when you installed F18 as well. It should have run on the first boot after you completed the install.

You can install and run system-config-users and have a GUI to set up new users

But, to answer your question..

Just a normal user only needs to belong to it's own group.

For example, on my F18 install, I have user Me (user number 1000) and that user belongs to group Me (group number 1000). That is the only group the user belongs to.

If you wish to make the user an admin user, then add the wheel group to the users groups.
Old 13th December 2012, 01:54 AM
bob p Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
Anaconda has never added a normal user account. The user account was added during firstboot, which should have been run when you installed F18 as well. It should have run on the first boot after you completed the install.
Well, that's the way it's supposed to work, but that never happened during my F18 install. Maybe it was because of the f18 bug where nouveau will not produce a GUI with some nvidia PCIE cards.

When attempting a GUI install, the system locked up whenever nouveau tried to go to GUI mode with my video card. My only recourse was to do an end run around nouveau via a VNC install. When the VNC install is completed, the box reboots and attempts to run firstboot locally. Unfortunately, the standard install only installs the defective nouveau driver, and the result is that the system locks up when firstboot tries to run. On second boot the system boots into text mode, and the user has missed the opportunity for everything that firstboot brings to the table.

The only solution for me was to get rid of nouveau and load the proprietary nvidia driver. That was the only way I could get to a GUI.

So how do I run firstboot now that I have a GUI?

Last edited by bob p; 13th December 2012 at 02:02 AM.
Old 13th December 2012, 02:01 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

You used to be able to force firstboot to run again by changing /etc/sysconfig/firstboot setting the line in it to RUN_FIRSTBOOT=YES but I believe a few things have changed in F18, so not certain if that will work or not now.
Old 13th December 2012, 02:13 AM
bob p Offline

linuxfirefox

hmmm. there is no /etc/sysconfig/firstboot on my box.

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

Unfortunately it looks like the documentation isn't current on this. Googling for "fedora 18 firstboot" yields this page, which mentions some changes in F18:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/piper...er/091015.html

Unfortunately it points to the firstboot wiki, which is out of date / last updated in 2008:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FirstBoot

anyone?
Old 13th December 2012, 02:18 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

I have the file here on mine, but I installed back pre-alpha before some of the changes to firstboot got implemented.

I believe the correct way now is:

systemctl enable firstboot-graphical.service

Then is should run on your next boot
Old 13th December 2012, 04:49 AM
bob p Offline

linuxfirefox

> systemctl enable firstboot-graphical.service

Thanks for the help. I think that your recommendation is necessary to enable the firstboot graphical service, but it is not sufficient to get firstboot to execute all on it's own. When I rebooted, my PC rebooted into text mode. When I started X, firstboot didn't automatically execute. So I opened a console window in X, and typed "firstboot" as root. Then firstboot executed as intended.

Of course, the command is only good once. Typing firstboot again wouldn't get it to re-execute. So it seems that the procedure might need to be:

a. # systemctl enable firstboot-graphical.service
b. reboot
c. # firstboot

thanks for the help.
Old 13th December 2012, 06:00 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

If you look, you probably have the /etc/sysconfig/firstboot file now. I believe that is what prevents it from running again.
Old 13th December 2012, 10:27 PM
bob p Offline

linuxfirefox

That is correct. Thank you!
Old 14th December 2012, 01:23 AM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfirefox

yeah, to make firstboot run the service has to be enabled *and* /etc/sysconfig/firstboot has to not contain RUN_FIRSTBOOT=no .
http://www.happyassassin.net

Tags
account , add , anaconda , nonroot , user