Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th June 2017, 04:17 AM
BadBoyTazz Offline

unknownopera
Question Samba Shares Partly Working

I recently got pointed toward Fedora Server by a friend after having the same issue on Ubuntu. Figured maybe it was a Ubuntu error so lets.give Fedora a try.

I'm running a software raid with a 8TB Raid5 with all my media on. I've setup the Samba Shares for the Raid that i have mounted on /MediaShares i can see the share in windows after logging in but i can't access it. I've read through and triend so many samba tutorials including the one on the Fedora site (typing on my phone so linking pages a bit of a pain but if you want the tutorials i followed i can link them)

I just can't seem to get it working i've tried public where if i go in windows to \\server i can see the MediaShares share but can't access it. I've tried user restricted again as i mentioned above i get to the point where i can see the share after logging in but i can't access it.

Does anybody have a link to fool proof step by step guid (that includes filesystem/disk permissions and checking them) for setting up SAMBA shares?

What really gets me is it was working perfectly had 3users setup one read only for guests, one read+write for friends i knew won't cause ***** and one for me with full access then i did a ubuntu update one day and since then i can't get samba to do ***** with the MediaShares folder.

Thanx for the time and help.

For those interisted the smb.conf file is the example coppied over and edit for my WORKGROUP and added the MediaShares as follow (this is the last itteration i tried before posting
Code:
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = No
   writable = yes
;  valid users = %S
;  valid users = MYDOMAIN\%S

*default printers
*commented out other examples

[MediaShares]
   comment = Media Sever Shares
   path = /MediaShares
   browseable = Yes
   guest ok = Yes
   read only = No
   public = Yes
   writeable = Yes
like i said it is litteraly the example file edited.

Tags
partly, samba, shares, working