Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th June 2017, 10:16 AM
Maryyy Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Convince me to switch back to GNOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnbm
Descartes' famous dictum "cogito ergo sum" translated as "I think, therefore I am" is certainly "wrong" in the sense that it is mistaken logic because it assumes the existence of a self with the first "I" to prove that very existence as the consequence, which is a logical fallacy. However, on an experiential level, one could make a case for the experience of thinking to be a form of corroboration for one's sense of one's being alive, that is, of one's existence. But this latter "insight" is rather trivial.

From a psychological point of view, lsatenstein's comment (quoted in post #28) implying, in a general way, that people tend to pay attention to what they have commitments to and tend to ignore alternatives, does have some support in the psychological literature. It's related to confirmation biases and effects.
There are fundamental problems in combination of words and subjective opinions. When these two get combined, it never reaches the desired outcome. The same outcome all the science is trying to achieve.

Opinion is always subjective, it can't be otherwise. Trying to put it in words makes it externally not be an subjective opinion anymore. Words have meanings, and those meanings themselves are subject to any particular's person translation. Same as with our perceptions e.g. For one, this color is orange, for the other it is red etc.

Thus, the only important thing is personal experience.

We live in a world that almost denies it. Too much (mostly useless) information, lack of time and general focus on profit.

I can see it here every day. Empty, yet stressed faces. Bad mood because of no time for themselves, not much money etc etc.

This would be long and likely resulting in closing the thread.
PM is not a problem.
Old 6th June 2017, 11:01 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

getting back on topic, there's one iteration of GNOME 3 interface that really would get me to switch back to Workstation. If Fedora had an official Budgie version, including the Budgie Software Centre which is vastly better than GNOME Software I'd definitely consider using it.

However, Budgie support and rpm packaging has been officially withdrawn upstream. I have Solus Budgie in VM and am enjoying using it. There are multiple unofficial COPR repositories for budgie already compiled from source code so I may try them in VM to find out which works reliably and which doesn't
Old 6th June 2017, 11:39 AM
Maryyy Offline

linuxfirefox

I confess, I don't know what Budgie even is. I'll take a look.
Old 6th June 2017, 02:41 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnbm View Post
Maryyy wrote:

Descartes' famous dictum "cogito ergo sum" translated as "I think, therefore I am" is certainly "wrong" in the sense that it is mistaken logic because it assumes the existence of a self with the first "I" to prove that very existence as the consequence, which is a logical fallacy. However, on an experiential level, one could make a case for the experience of thinking to be a form of corroboration for one's sense of one's being alive, that is, of one's existence. But this latter "insight" is rather trivial.

From a psychological point of view, lsatenstein's comment (quoted in post #28) implying, in a general way, that people tend to pay attention to what they have commitments to and tend to ignore alternatives, does have some support in the psychological literature. It's related to confirmation biases and effects.
Good morning Maryyy
Yes, psychologically, we become experts in what items we struggled with and learned, and also, to the posters to this forum who present topics of interest and to the replies.

This forum always somethings of interest, for me, it's a magnetic attraction. It could also be Pavlovian. When I have my breakfast coffee, I am compelled to read the overnight postings. And just before supper, I need to get onto the forum to read the updates. We are all creatures of habit.

Leslie

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840