Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th December 2006, 06:29 PM
exubuntu Offline

yumex

is there a way to speed this demon up? It's now my favourite update, download prog (after I borked t'other ones that I have synaptic, add/remove). And its great, but It's just so slow! It takes an age to "populate" the downloads menu, with over 5000 options (great to have so many). BUt SLOOOOW. I realise my pc is slow itself, but if there is a software way to do it it would be graetly appreciated.

Registered Linux user #436901

Intel--2.66GHz
RAM--511Mb
HDD--20GB
Foxcon mobo
17" lcd monitor
Old 19th December 2006, 06:44 PM
rick3878894 Offline

Well, you could cut the number of repos that you use and have as little soft ware a possible on the system. So that the install and remove lists populate faster.

Not really a great idea but, an idea.
Old 19th December 2006, 09:40 PM
Finalzone Offline
Community Manager

It really depends of the mirror servers. Test a repository with a mirror server and choose the fatest. You can also install an extension called yum-fastermirror.
Old 19th December 2006, 10:05 PM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
Finalzone, that 'fastestmirror' extension generally slows everything down to a crawl for most people. There is a new Yumex in 'development' , version 1.2.1, which is a bit faster.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 19th December 2006, 11:20 PM
timdsmith Offline

That is true. That fastestmirror plugin makes a horribly slow package manager even more unbearably slow. If you're going to use Fedora, just get use to it. LOL.

Personally I switched to Debian 'Testing' mostly because of Yum. However, I still like to hang out in these forums because the Debian forums are boring. Everything just works in Debian so there aren't many posts there.
Old 19th December 2006, 11:42 PM
bob Offline

Timidsmith, I've installed CentOS and found the same thing. No problems, very little discussion in the Forum and a rock-solid distro that, like Debian, is based on aged versions of software. It's comforting to have a distro that may not be the 'latest and greatest' but plugs along steadily.

Old 19th December 2006, 11:46 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdsmith
That is true. That fastestmirror plugin makes a horribly slow package manager even more unbearably slow. If you're going to use Fedora, just get use to it. LOL.

Personally I switched to Debian 'Testing' mostly because of Yum. However, I still like to hang out in these forums because the Debian forums are boring. Everything just works in Debian so there aren't many posts there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob
Timidsmith, I've installed CentOS and found the same thing. No problems, very little discussion in the Forum and a rock-solid distro that, like Debian, is based on aged versions of software. It's comforting to have a distro that may not be the 'latest and greatest' but plugs along steadily.
So solid there arent any posts in the forum? No problems? No challenges?
AAAHHHHHHHH NO NO! I WONT GO! YOU WONT DRAG ME TO THAT HELL!!!!
AAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH
Old 20th December 2006, 12:10 AM
bob Offline

Actually, it's kinda neat, in an 'old school' way. No need to ask questions, since CentOS is pretty much FC. Up2Date is there and works pretty well; you install Nvidia with the old methods from the Nvidia site and there's no repository war since Livna is not involved, just the RPMForge group. There's even a way to block conflicts from Freshrpms, etc. that might affect critical system applications.

And, the other two guys in the Forum are really interesting. We're involved in a heated debate on yeast vs. rid-X for septic tank care and the best fescue grasses for those problem shady spots on your lawn...

Old 20th December 2006, 12:17 AM
hiberphoptik Offline

actually if you wait for the next gen of yumex its waaaaaaaaaaay faster!

If you are too impatient and dont mind using a non released version you can grab it here...

http://www.yum-extender.org/dnl/yumex/devel/
Old 20th December 2006, 12:25 AM
rick3878894 Offline

The New one is way faster!
Old 20th December 2006, 12:47 AM
timdsmith Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
Yeah! I'm running the 'Testing' version so the software is way newer than 'Stable'. Gnome for instance is version 2.14.3 so it's not old old. The thing is, all packages go through the 'Unstable' tree and get the ***** tested out of them before moving to testing...So testing is rock solid.
Old 20th December 2006, 12:51 AM
timdsmith Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
Actually, it's kinda neat, in an 'old school' way. No need to ask questions, since CentOS is pretty much FC. Up2Date is there and works pretty well; you install Nvidia with the old methods from the Nvidia site and there's no repository war since Livna is not involved, just the RPMForge group. There's even a way to block conflicts from Freshrpms, etc. that might affect critical system applications.

And, the other two guys in the Forum are really interesting. We're involved in a heated debate on yeast vs. rid-X for septic tank care and the best fescue grasses for those problem shady spots on your lawn...
You do the same with Debian. Install Nvidia drivers the old way...Running the installer from Nvidia's site. And with 18,000 packages in the Debian repos, there isn't any need for other repositories. Except for one that has the 'Dirty' codecs in it. But that's pretty much all it has in it.
Old 20th December 2006, 01:22 AM
leigh123linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by exubuntu
is there a way to speed this demon up? It's now my favourite update, download prog (after I borked t'other ones that I have synaptic, add/remove). And its great, but It's just so slow! It takes an age to "populate" the downloads menu, with over 5000 options (great to have so many). BUt SLOOOOW. I realise my pc is slow itself, but if there is a software way to do it it would be graetly appreciated.
try smart its quick

Quote:
yum -y install smart smart-gui
Old 20th December 2006, 01:36 AM
bob Offline

Yep, I've also got Mint and Ubuntu on a couple of partitions, so have played a bit with variants of debian. Very good distros and certainly worthy of the praise they've been getting. Frankly, I'd love to see apt and synaptic work as well on FC as it does on PCLOS, and the 'buntu's; it's just very very fast.

As to the dirty codecs, yep, we've got our choice on which repository to go to, but since they can't agree.... Okay, a 'rant' is appropriate:

(rant) Let's face facts; RPMForge and Livna and ATrpms are never going to work together and who pays the price? We do, if we make the mistake of enabling all of them and/or picking too many programs from multiple repositories. We have version conflicts and updates wanting to replace existing programs. For years now some of us have been recommending one repository or another to each new user. Perhaps we've liked some 'how-to' site and have based our selection on that.

Well folks, if the repositories can't agree, perhaps the Forum members can. Let's be consistent in recommending only one 3rd. party repository when giving instructions and asking those who have 'how-to' sites out there to use that repository in the instructions. If they choose not to, then let's not refer to the site when giving instructions. So, which to choose? Well, no matter what your preferences are, it sure seems that Livna has the inside track since it's linked to Extras. And, of course, the FedoraFAQ is linked to us and uses Livna. So, to me it seems clear that Livna would be the better choice.

Of course the other repositories for FC have a right to exist, and there are many more out there that seldom get mentioned. People have a right to put their tutorials out there for others. That's all fine, but we really ought to keep our instructions on this Forum a bit more uniform than they've been in the past.
(/rant)

Old 20th December 2006, 01:42 AM
ZeusZon Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiberphoptik
actually if you wait for the next gen of yumex its waaaaaaaaaaay faster!

If you are too impatient and dont mind using a non released version you can grab it here...

http://www.yum-extender.org/dnl/yumex/devel/
Yes, I can certainly confirm that.

Looks like they have used a similar method to read database/repos as pirut (fc6 bundled yum installer)

Tags
yumex