Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th August 2017, 06:50 AM
r12jkf3 Offline

linuxfirefox
Controllable Windows Anti-Virus

I have dual-boot Win7/Fedora laptop; and I'm having trouble finding a good anti-virus program that will just be an anti-virus, 'only.' All the ones I've used try to install browser extensions, software to protect email, monitor and 'prevent' system changes, etc. I don't want any of that. As a power user, I know what I'm doing and I make systems changes all the time. I don't want my anti-virus software to 'make or prevent' ANY systems changes UNRELATED to being an anti-virus. I'M THE SU! I don't want my anti-virus telling ME what to do...
Old 11th August 2017, 08:17 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome
Re: Controllable Windows Anti-Virus

try doing a custom setup of avast free edition and you can choose which components are installed. that way you can have just the AV. even after install if you find you have components you don't want it's easy to remove them.
Old 11th August 2017, 06:36 PM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxchrome

For Windows anti-virus, I used Avast (free edition) for several years. Over time, Avast grew more and more annoying with it's aggressiveness trying to get you to upgrade to paid solutions. I dumped Avast and moved to BitDefender (free edition). It's anti-virus only, real simple, and no nagging.
Old 11th August 2017, 07:25 PM
dd_wizard Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Just use MS Defender. It's the lightest weight AV, and I used it for years without issues. Then I purchased an SSD, turned off Secure Boot, and went to linux only. It's amazing how little I miss Windows now.

dd_wizard
Old 12th August 2017, 02:33 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

windows_98_nt_2000mozilla

I'd avoid McAfee Antivirus Plus. The latest user interface is abhorrent. They've dumbed it down a lot to match W10 and plastered it in animated graphs and slideshows, plus a stupid security 'highlights' and status reports system they've introduced.

Bitdefender is too pared back to be of any use because you cannot exclude any false positives from detection.

Windows Defender prior to W10 was as useless as a chocolate fireguard. The W10 build has a better detection and repair rate but still can't match Kaspersky, Norton, Bitdefender (paid), McAfee detection rates. Avast free and AVG (now same company) also perform better.

With any free antivirus product you are going to get a certain amount of nagging to upgrade. That's part of the trade off of using something you aren't paying for from AV vendors.
Old 13th August 2017, 03:05 AM
Doug G Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox

Not free, but on windows machines than need antivirus, like the W10 desktop I'm posting from, I use ESET. I used to use just their NOD32 antivirus only, which didn't include any additional bundled programs. I've been using a multi-device licensed Smart Security, I also like their firewall.
Old 14th August 2017, 04:36 AM
kona0197 Online
The Wibble Rouser

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

I've been using bitdefender free version for months now. It's as bare bones as you can get and does it's thing quietly in the background.

Quote:
Bitdefender is too pared back to be of any use because you cannot exclude any false positives from detection.
Yeah, you can. I've done it more than once. It's easy.

No fate but what we make...
My Blog: kona0197.wordpress.com
Old 14th August 2017, 08:43 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

well they must have improved it then because it used to be a dog's dinner. I tried it because I used their paid for version for a number of years. I had a couple of virtual machines running windows that needed some semblance of protection. I tried adding exclusions and found they were actually ignored.

Tags
antivirus, controllable, windows