Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st August 2017, 06:01 PM
tryfedoraa Online

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Things to do after installing Fedora

When you update Fedora what are the first things you do after installing. Do you configure settings, apply updates, install software or even remove unnecessary software?

So I'd like to get a list of things to do after installing Fedora..
Old 1st August 2017, 06:42 PM
satanselbow Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Things to do after installing Fedora

1) Edit fstab to automount userdir partitions (ie I've got a separate partition for each of Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Music, HTTP etc)
2) Remove unwanted apps (esp. Rhythmbox / Transmission)
3) Add Adobe, RPM Fusion, Russian Fedora + Google Earth repos
4) Update everything.
5) Install additional naughty codecs, Inkscape, Blender, Chromium, LEMP, Komodo Edit, Deadbeef, Puddletag, QBittorrent, Tuxguitar, Ardour, Steam and custom scripts (mostly FLAC->MP3, MP3->Android type stuff)
6) Marvel at the awesomeness of Fedora Life and randomly remember other stuff that I meant to do post install
Old 1st August 2017, 08:43 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I would cross-reference your fstab. I wrote a program to do so and it's available to anyone who wants a copy.
it is attached.

a tar file of the sources is also available on request.

fstabxref:
1) fstabxref will not write to /etc/fstab, protecting your existing fstab
2) fstabxref without parameters will read /etc/fstab and only display to the screen Use -o option instead of redirection.
3)fstabxref -o newfstab will create a newfstab cross-referenced newfstab is not allowed to be /etc/fstab
4) fstabxref [i] a_fstab_image will display that image to the screen cross-referenced
5)fstabxref [i] a_fstab_image -o newfstab_image see 3). Note. newfstab_image may not be the same as /etc/fstab or a_fstab_image.
6) fstabxref -t provides a truncated cross reference (no labels)
7) fstabxeff -r provides the fstab nicely formatted, without cross-references.
8) fstabxref accomodates UUID=xxx, LABEL=xxx /dev/sdx ... tmpdsk and Partlabel=xxx..
If you use gparted to label your partitions, then apply fstabxref, you will get some results similar to the following

a few lines from my /etc/fstab
Code:
#<file system>                             <mount>    <type>  <options>         <dmp fsck> <xref>      <label or uuid>
UUID=965cf9c9-1e4e-4e73-8ad0-e49068d0aa23  /          btrfs   subvol=root00       0  0     /dev/sde5   fedora
UUID=52100052-9186-47a4-91e2-c4c7f0b76988  /boot      ext4    defaults,noatime    1  2     /dev/sde4   sde4Boot
UUID=8d9c72ac-3bba-4eae-8054-f0225c52d003  /home      ext4    defaults,noatime    0  0     /dev/sde2   sdeSpare
LABEL=sdb1Scratch                          /scratch   ext4    defaults,noatime    0  0     /dev/sdb1   bdf0d983-0430-4b8b-8dd1-474769e797dd
/dev/sdb2                                  /backup    ext4    defaults,noatime    0  0     sdb2backup  6bc50bc6-11e9-487f-849e-91792ec96022
I wrote fstabxref as my own project. I have 5 disks and multiple Linux systems. I wanted to know where the UUIDs were located and ditto for LABEL or /devs

If you try it and you like it , great.

sha256sums
Code:
47fc6ae8065e39c352510a6254382932f9c27eed19a6ee6d70b79cc5670fd22f  fstabxref
4e4766ad059c207fe49c345a0d9599390d88e7c00e970aa84a9bac2b2d1b4635  fstabxref.tar
This is typically what I do when I complete a new installation or change some disks ..

fstabxref -o /tmp/fstab
I then review /tmp/fstab
If I like it then I do

sudo cp /tmp/fstab /etc
Attached Files
File Type: tar fstabxref.tar (13.5 KB, 12 views)

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Last edited by lsatenstein; 3rd August 2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 1st August 2017, 09:45 PM
satanselbow Offline

linuxubuntuchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsatenstein View Post
I would cross-reference your fstab.. .
Much appreciated thank you
Old 2nd August 2017, 04:41 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I forgot to mention
fstabxref -h (for help)

Old 2nd August 2017, 07:08 PM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfedorafirefox

I'd also mention the Fedora Set-Up Guides (yellow link, above). You'll likely want to consider some codecs.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 2nd August 2017, 09:36 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

well in the past, i've done it all before installing by creating a custom ISO. I attempted the same with the new tools recently. It hasn't been smooth sailing but when I have more time to get to grips with it I'll get there in the end.

usual suspects though - rpmfusion repository for vlc and codecs, russian fedora fixes repository for better font rendering, libdvdcss from remi's repository and replacing firefox with opera browser. also remove fedora libreoffice and install 'fresh' from upstream. apart from that install claws mail fancy plugin for html support, gimp and data extras plus a couple of games.
Old 3rd August 2017, 10:44 AM
HaydnH Offline

windows_7chrome

Personally I install Window Maker, restore my home directory and make sure all the hardware is working as intended (wifi drivers etc) - anything else can wait until I need it. Probably not a great method for someone who regularly doesn't have internet available though.
Old 3rd August 2017, 01:47 PM
dswaner Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Compare old / new versions of config files (such as .nanorc and gpg.cfg) using xxdiff and make adjustments, and check for new features.

Install terminus-fonts-console and gpm, and edit /etc/vconsole.conf to use the ter-v32n font,
so if I get stuck in text mode, or want to use the console for upgrades, I can actually read the font.

Last edited by dswaner; 3rd August 2017 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Additional item.
Old 6th August 2017, 12:35 AM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post
well in the past, i've done it all before installing by creating a custom ISO. I attempted the same with the new tools recently. It hasn't been smooth sailing but when I have more time to get to grips with it I'll get there in the end.

usual suspects though - rpmfusion repository for vlc and codecs, russian fedora fixes repository for better font rendering, libdvdcss from remi's repository and replacing firefox with opera browser. also remove fedora libreoffice and install 'fresh' from upstream. apart from that install claws mail fancy plugin for html support, gimp and data extras plus a couple of games.
I experience one of the best all in one Fedora 26 Versions hosted on the Yandex (RFRemix ) web site.
Take the network istall iso; it is in English, and follow though as you would install a network install version.

That ISO will provide a picklist for the items Antikythera listed above plus some
Effectively, in one ISO, you got it all,

You will also get rpms for adobe(not sure you will use it), Cisco, and more
Skype, Opera, Chrome, and many more goodies.
The downside. Updates are typically one day later than the normal Fedora mirrors arrival dates.

Old 6th August 2017, 08:44 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

the downside to network install media, you need to have reliable and reasonably fast broadband which isn't on a monthly usage cap to use the network install media when choosing that many packages from the outset. At least with a pre-compiled ISO you can boot from it and use it Live or reinstall without internet access if need be.

Tags
fedora, installing, things