Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th July 2017, 06:33 AM
Wayne Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
Re: What keyboard do you use?

Qtuo 87 key mechanical keyboard. I was looking for something without a numerical keypad and it had to be an English layout, not Japanese and this fit the bill.
Old 20th July 2017, 07:22 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsatenstein View Post
My wish was that the keytops on my keyboard were removable for washing. Your keyboard keytops are removable and are easy to clean. Thats what I loved about the IBM keyboards.
generally for most desktop keyboards they are removable with gentle persuasion, not so with notebook keyboards. Be careful with larger keys not to bend any metal bar springs. While it is possible to remove a key from a notebook it is very easy to snap the fixing that holds them in place.

Anyone bother using Cyberclean putty? I bought one tub to try it. Personally I think it's the biggest con going as it doesn't actually remove anything other than loose dirt which you can do with a vacuum and soft brush attachment so as not to damage keys (especially important again for notebooks). there's still a film of dead skin and natural skin oils, skin products left on the sides of keyboard key caps which needs cleaning off properly.
Old 20th July 2017, 07:24 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

Rupert is the Eraser there because the Delete and Backspace keys no longer work?

They are the Rolls Royce of keyboards. Forget the backlit gaming monstrosities, I'd shell out for a decent IBM clone instead any day.
Old 20th July 2017, 07:35 AM
Wayne Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Model F comeback...

https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...-for-purchase/
Old 20th July 2017, 09:03 AM
Maryyy Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Hehe:
Quote:
Time is running out to order one of Strandberg’s Model F keyboards, however. He’s only taking orders through July 31, 2017 for the first run, with a price of $325 for a metal base keyboard without keys. Key sets start at $29..
You gotta be fscking kidding..
You know, sometimes I admire people that love doing the old-school stuff, but this guy is using it for something else. Like, ripping off "bright" enough customers..
FFS. I think majority of IBM keyboard and buckling spring fans in general will rather get the classic option from Unicomp. And no wonder. ;(
Old 20th July 2017, 09:43 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

yep, can't see the point myself. You'd have to be a rich nostalgia suffering fool to part with that much. Maybe if he had crowdfunded the project and ended up with many more orders the keyboard could have been roughly the same price as the unicomp/lexmark licensed clone.
Old 20th July 2017, 10:16 AM
jeffnz Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
Still using the same IBM Model M that I was using last month when you asked
Oh yeah I forgot ha-ha. A user Kobuck has the same keyboard that I just bought. It definitely isn't very clicky, so maybe not the perfect keyboard but it's very good. Have any of you compared cherry mx blue-green-brown versions? I only know brown. Apparently this one isn't too noisy, but it is definitely noisier than the membrane keyboard (I asked for feedback).

Supposedly cherry mx blue switches are the best for typists.
Old 20th July 2017, 10:33 AM
Maryyy Offline

linuxfirefox

There is nothing like best for typists. Some prefer this, some that. When searching for differences and opinions that about a year ago, some preferred blue, some brown and some red among the spectrum of various user cases.
You would have to try them all yourself to find out. Black is also somewhat popular. It's like red with no actuation point, but with more force required to press the key.
Blue is probably the loudest. But there are rubber pads that can be put under the cap to make them much less loud.
Old 20th July 2017, 12:50 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

threads merged
Old 20th July 2017, 11:16 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsatenstein View Post
It does not have or or or or or or or or or or or or or
or , or or or or etc.
My French AZERTY keyboard doesn't have the guillemots or fractions, but it has some of the symbols you listed, mon ami:

OS: Fedora 26 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 7GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N
Old 21st July 2017, 12:25 AM
jeffnz Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryyy View Post
When searching for differences and opinions that about a year ago, some preferred blue, some brown and some red among the spectrum of various user cases. You would have to try them all yourself to find out. Black is also somewhat popular. It's like red with no actuation point, but with more force required to press the key.
Red and black aren't so good I am told, red is a linear switch and I think black is too: Brown, green and blue all the way! My Logitech G-610 Orion only seems to come with brown switches.

Last edited by jeffnz; 21st July 2017 at 03:40 AM. Reason: I was corrected by Kobuck. Curse the abundance of meaningless numbers in our lives!
Old 21st July 2017, 01:53 AM
Kobuck Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

@jeffnz: I believe you've transposed a couple of digits

The Logitech Orion Brown model # is G 610 for anyone looking.

Keyboard feel is tough to reduce to factual analysis, it comes down to personal preference.

A nice little guide to Cherry switches with visuals:

http://www.keyboardco.com/blog/index...ical-switches/
Embedded: BeagleBone Blk / ARM AM3358 1 GHz x1/ 512MB/ 2GB eMMC/ PowerVR SGX530/ fc26.armv7hl
Old 21st July 2017, 07:18 AM
Wayne Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

I've got a couple of Japanese layout keyboards in the loft if anyone is interested Personally, I hate them, I can input Japanese on my Engrish keyboard just as well. Not that I need to that often, I just need to update the beer list every day
Old 21st July 2017, 08:43 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

you can actually pick up a cherry switch test/sample panel fairly cheaply which allows you to see and more importantly feel what the different switches are like before buying. given the price of a typical cherry mx switch keyboard it seems a worthwhile investment to do so first.

obviously you can mix in some clones of MX switches too and try them out like the benchmark guys like to do when comparing keyboard hardware.

how long did it take to adjust from qwerty to azerty rupert?
Old 21st July 2017, 11:48 AM
HaydnH Online

windows_7chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post
you can actually pick up a cherry switch test/sample panel fairly cheaply which allows you to see and more importantly feel what the different switches are like before buying. given the price of a typical cherry mx switch keyboard it seems a worthwhile investment to do so first.
A Cherry MX 6.0 is about 100 in the UK, ~55 for the 3.0. An 8 key sampler kit is ~30... considering those prices I think I'd just buy the keyboard and if I didn't like it sell it on. You would've thought the manufacturer would send you a sampler kit for a small deposit, and if you return the sampler and buy a keyboard you get the deposit back.