Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th June 2017, 02:10 AM
jeffnz Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Keyboard comfort

So I've got a nice clickity-clackety mechanical keyboard which I've had since 2015. I feel like my hands cramp up a bit when I'm typing - it's as if the keys are too far apart. I'm always stretching my right-pinky finger to hit enter and typing on forums and terminal prompts all day is uncomfortable. At the same time, I strongly dislike the Mac keyboards and most laptop keyboards. The buttons on Mac and laptops tend to be softer and you don't have to press them down as hard, but then the keys feel too shallow. I like this Genius keyboard overall, but I don't like the distance between the keys. Is there a small ergonomic keyboard that forum members could recommend? Bonus if it doesn't have a number pad because I never use one anyway!
Old 11th June 2017, 06:36 AM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Keyboard comfort

My friend, there is one and only one acceptable mechanical keyboard: the IBM Model M

OS: Fedora 26 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 7GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N
Old 11th June 2017, 09:26 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

While not mechanical I find my rubber domed Targus KU-2971 a comfortable keyboard to type with. The keys are well spaced and have a good amount of travel and an almost mechanical ( decent amount of 'click' and resistance) feel to them when pressed. They don't appear to make it any more but have licensed the design to Chicony. No guarantees the Chicony will have the same key press feel though.

However, a unicomp (licensed IBM M design) or one of their other buckling spring KB is a great idea if you can justify spending $85-$105 plus shipping on a KB.

Also anything with cherry MX Blue or Silent switches if you can't obtain a buckling spring and don't like rubber dome is a good bet.
Old 11th June 2017, 02:45 PM
Kobuck Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I like my Logitech G610.
Pros:
Wired USB with a compact size.
Integrated audio control supported 'out of the box' with F25.
It has a good hefty weight that doesn't wander around on my desktop.
Cons:
The keys are mechanical, but not very 'clicky' ( no match for Rupert's IBM classic).
The idea that a rippling backlight color is attractive escapes me. (it can be switched off)

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/pro...brown-keyboard
Embedded: BeagleBone Blk / ARM AM3358 1 GHz x1/ 512MB/ 2GB eMMC/ PowerVR SGX530/ fc26.armv7hl

Last edited by Kobuck; 11th June 2017 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11th June 2017, 04:24 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

For the past 10 years I have been using the clone of an IBM PC105 keyboard. It looks like the above, except that a) there is one additional key between the Z key and left Shift key. There is a rubber nipple below each key to serve as the bottom shock absorber and to aid the push up of the key after a press.

If you look carefully at the IBM keyboard above, you will note the underbar on the F and the J keys. That is to help we touch typists find the home keys for the left and right hands. I found that small ridge too flat, so I took a drop of crazy-glue and put it directly onto the F and J keys. it dried as raised unobtrusive dimples.

Because of tactile feedback I rarely get my hands on the wrong keys when touch typing.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Last edited by lsatenstein; 11th June 2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11th June 2017, 04:29 PM
osce0 Offline

linuxfirefox

I use Das keyboard and it's been pretty comfortable for me for normal typing, and I have average sized hand. It's highly rated for mechanical keyboards (according to latest PC Magazine)

Do you have a gaming keyboard? If so, my guess is gaming keyboards are designed primarily to focus on repeatedly pressing closely clustered keys without regards to moving fingers to almost random locations all over the keyboard for normal typing. Just my guess why you have issue with the "distance" between keys. I've never owned a gaming keyboard so I may be wrong.
Old 11th June 2017, 07:15 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

a decent gaming keyboard is tightly laid out the same as any other. gamers need everything within comfortable reach too because of in-game chat, games that use more than A,S,W,D etc.

only gimmicky cheap rubbish wanting to copy chiclet keys from notebooks generally have larger spaced out keys
Old 11th June 2017, 08:59 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Regarding wireless keyboards, one of the worst was a Logitech and one of the best is a Logitech. I guess for the first one, the design was such that each key would send a feeling of rubbing against the top chassis as one pressed it, and would feel too tight in the allocated slot on the way up. The second Logitech keyboard felt and feels just right. Downward travel feels right, and is more than with chicklet design keyboards. The latter, if your finger brushes against, would falsely register a keystroke.

Yes. And by the way, I did get one or two excellent noname keyboards from China for $13.00 each. I keep them around in case my main 9 year old keyboard fails.

What I would like to see on wireless keyboards sometime in the future, are the LED light information that a wired keyboard displays. There is a lot of real-estate on a wireless keyboard to accept double=A cells, two for the keyboard and two for the display lights.

Old 11th June 2017, 09:42 PM
jeffnz Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by osce0 View Post
I use Das keyboard and it's been pretty comfortable for me for normal typing, and I have average sized hand. It's highly rated for mechanical keyboards (according to latest PC Magazine)
Das keyboard looks good, I'll buy one of these when I have money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osce0 View Post
Do you have a gaming keyboard? If so, my guess is gaming keyboards are designed primarily to focus on repeatedly pressing closely clustered keys without regards to moving fingers to almost random locations all over the keyboard for normal typing. Just my guess why you have issue with the "distance" between keys. I've never owned a gaming keyboard so I may be wrong.
I have a budget Genius keyboard that I got with a new PC. I sometimes fail to hit certain letters when typing on this keyboard which means I must slow down. I suspect the keys are too straight when they return upward and it just doesn't feel right. The keys have about 3mm between them.
Old 19th July 2017, 04:57 AM
jeffnz Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
What keyboard do you use?

I just bought a Logitech G160 Orion, which has "cherry mx brown" switches under the keys. It works pretty darn well and it has a mute button that you tap to mute, whereas my budget Genius keyboard had a mute key but you had to hold down the function key to activate it. Although this keyboard is pretty responsive it is 4mm travel distance (I think) so I do have to hit them a good distance. The coolest feature is the volume control slider. Later this year I'll have to see whether or not it works in Linux. Mind you when I go back to Linux I will be less concerned with entertainment and more focused on work ha-ha. So long as the keys work that's cool, I can live without a mute button and multimedia keys.
Old 19th July 2017, 11:44 AM
Maryyy Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: What keyboard do you use?

I always used some basic membrane keyboards, till about a year ago or so when I got MX Board 3.0 with MX Red.
Reds don't have any actuation point that the user can feel, they are completely linear. So you don't know if the key registered the press or not.
It may seem strange, but it's actually great for my usage. I just don't like when the key presses back after the actuation point is reached.
But then Cherry released MX Board 6.0 and even though it was very (very..) pricey, I love it. It's like 35-40% cheaper now though.
It also has Reds, but the feel is simply better than on the MX Board 3.0, which I brought in work. It's an aluminium rock that just can't be bent in any way. Weighs a ton.
I got it also because it doesn't need any special software for the backlight adjustment. All can be done with the combination of Fn and F keys. And it's fast, the processing of key presses is analog, plus full N-key rollover. The claimed 1ms response time is nothing I can measure though. Sure, my "brain lag" till action is performed is higher, it at least doesn't add up to it. Speedrunners from Hell is a good test for it.

I hope to have it for a very, very long time.
And so from time to time, I plug in my basic Logitech just to appreciate it more again.
Old 19th July 2017, 08:33 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I use a PC105 membrane keyboard. I have a true IBM one and a clone. I tend to use the clone mostly.
The keytop layout is Canadian French. It means that it is compatible with the USA keyboard layout, except for some accents and the extra key between the Z and the left shift key.
By the way, most international keyboard layouts (USA included) are physically organized as PC105.

PC104, the most used US layout, dropped the key between the Z and the left shift key.

Last edited by lsatenstein; 20th July 2017 at 03:20 AM.
Old 19th July 2017, 10:17 PM
VernDog Offline

linuxchrome

Logitech K270 bought recently.
Old 20th July 2017, 02:14 AM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Still using the same IBM Model M that I was using last month when you asked:

Old 20th July 2017, 03:27 AM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

It does not have or or or or or or or or or or or or or
or , or or or or etc.

My wish was that the keytops on my keyboard were removable for washing. Your keyboard keytops are removable and are easy to clean. Thats what I loved about the IBM keyboards.