Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th July 2017, 12:22 PM
didierg Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
This is why you should not buy Asus !

This is why you should not buy Asus !

Quote:
Good morning Mr. G,

Thank you for requesting technical support from Asus.

Upon reading your e-mail, I note that your UX305UA model notebook is not working properly with the new Fedora Linux kernel.

I regret to inform you, Mr G, that the Linux system is not managed by our support and that we have no training on it.

Thank you for your understanding.

I remain at your disposal for any additional questions and wish you a good day.

Nadhem, of the team of advisers ASUS
ASUS France
Hotline: 01 70 94 94 00
http://www.asus.com/fr/support/
Old 5th July 2017, 12:42 PM
HaydnH Offline

windows_7chrome
Re: This is why you should not buy Asus !

I can't say really blame them, if they sell a laptop with Windows and make no mention of Linux support I wouldn't expect them to pay people to support installing Linux on it.

What's the problem you're seeing anyway? From this link (https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comme..._zenbooks_yet/) it looks like it should work from Kernal 4.5 onwards.
Old 5th July 2017, 12:44 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

ASUS have never officially supported anything other than Windows. that doesn't mean to say in a few more months your very new notebook won't work with Linux.

Have you tried rawhide or another distribution with 4.12 kernels and modules for example?
Old 5th July 2017, 12:52 PM
didierg Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

See: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1789667

My UX305UA work fine with Fedora 25 and kernel 4.11.4 and previous....

Until now, it does not work with new kernel 4.11.5 and following including Fedora 26 RC...
Old 5th July 2017, 12:57 PM
smr54 Online

linuxfirefox

There are so many different versions of Linux, each with their own quirks, that it would be unusual for a company to say, We support Linux.
Dell has server support that isn't that cheap. But if you call and say it's running CentOS, they say they won't support it, even though they support RedHat, though some people like to help anyway.

Loosely speaking some server vendors will support RedHat (and sometimes CentOS, but if I remember correctly, with Dell it's RedHat and SuSE). Dell also sells some Ubuntu models, and probably offers support--though I don't know if they would if say, you were using a different desktop than the default.

What I wish they would do, though, is give the model of wireless card, so that when planning a purchase, you can check if that model of card is working with the kernel.
Old 5th July 2017, 01:36 PM
nobody Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Wink Re: This is why you should not buy Asus !

Most of mobile laptops' and notebooks' brands (ASUS, DELL, SONY, Toshiba, etc.) are supporting ONLY WIN X (NOT supporting Linux at all). GOOGLE Chromebook (with Coreboot as boot-loader, NOT BIOS/UEFI) does support MAC OS and Linux, I think.

Didier,

When SKL (U/Y)+ SunRise PCH (various SunRise members of the family) came out (September 02, 2015.), this was a TOCK (new CORE architecture on 14nm), and, for my taste, it came too early/prematurely. Since then, to fix various problems INTEL issued (as you see) 0xba (186 various) MCUs to fix many problems they have with this architecture. And, not YET (as you experience) light at the end of SKL tunnel!

Conclusion: if one woman can deliver baby for 9 months, it does NOT mean that 9 women can deliver one baby for a month!

_nobody_

Last edited by nobody; 5th July 2017 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Crazy me: forgot MAC OS!
Old 5th July 2017, 08:54 PM
Candleflame Offline

linuxfedorachrome

Asus is actually known to be very linux compatible btw. But truth is, no company will support a specific linux variant. We can be glad that .deb and .rpm have established themselves and you can get usually half-decent drivers.
Old 5th July 2017, 09:34 PM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

windows_7chrome

I've used ASUS for years. I've had no serious issues and will surely by ASUS again.
Old 6th July 2017, 08:16 AM
nobody Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Wink Re: This is why you should not buy Asus !

It is not ASUS, Mr. Bassinator, it is SKL...

_nobody_
Old 6th July 2017, 03:46 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I swear by my ASUS P5Q motherboard. In 2008, there was a problem of "faulty capacitors" installed on Mother boards -- not so with ASUS. Then I had a few (1st year) bios updates. Nothing else since then and nothing else needed.
The second hand mother board sells for the same price as what I paid for it in 2009. Surprise!!! Its a quality product from a quality vendor.

Right now I am waiting for the mother boards configured for AMD. I would want my MB to have the same features with one or two extras -- built-in wifi, and UEFI support and 64gigs addressing capability. (I want from time to time a 32gig sized ramdisk).

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Last edited by lsatenstein; 7th July 2017 at 03:26 AM.
Old 6th July 2017, 04:09 PM
satanselbow Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennzo View Post
I've used ASUS for years. I've had no serious issues and will surely by ASUS again.
The original post could have been written too and from any of an infinite list of OEM ... nothing to see here folks :P
Old 6th July 2017, 10:42 PM
didierg Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
It is not ASUS, Mr. Bassinator, it is SKL...

_nobody_

I am ready to agree it is Skylake processor but what can I do ?

I bought this laptop one year ago, July 13 2016 exactly.

Back at home, first thing I did was to clone the disk to be able to bring back this laptop to shop using return policy if I encounter any problem with Fedora.

It was not the case, I installed Fedora 24 and I did not have any problem, it works like a charm.

Latter I upgraded to Fedora 25 and again I did not have any problem, it works perfectly as long I use kernel 4.11.4 or previous.

Now I encountered problem if I upgrade to kernel 4.11.5,6,7,8 and 9, I am waiting for 10.....

Actually I will be unable to upgrade this one year old laptop to Fedora 26 in few days....
Old 7th July 2017, 08:19 AM
Wayne Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Back in the day I had an IBM Thinkpad 390X, I believe it was pre-loaded with Win-95. One day the DVD drive packed up and I called the Tokyo service centre and arranged to take it in. When I got there the engineer asked if he could boot it up. When he did he nearly fell off his chair. It was running IBM OS/2 Warp 4 :-) They still fixed the drive under warranty though!
Old 7th July 2017, 11:10 AM
HaydnH Offline

windows_7chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Back in the day I had an IBM Thinkpad 390X, I believe it was pre-loaded with Win-95. One day the DVD drive packed up and I called the Tokyo service centre and arranged to take it in. When I got there the engineer asked if he could boot it up. When he did he nearly fell off his chair. It was running IBM OS/2 Warp 4 :-) They still fixed the drive under warranty though!
Ahh the good old days where customer service seemed to mean something, all businesses these days seem to so protective of their bottom line that customer service really doesn't seem to factor in. I guess us as consumers are ultimately to blame though, do we want something with good customer service, or will we put up with crap customer service to save ourselves a few pennies?
Old 7th July 2017, 03:31 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Regarding customer service.

The big box stores have horrific expenses (floor space, shopping centre fees, insurance, salaries, business systems, and floor sample/shoplifting losses), that they have to charge a high markup. At the same time, hardware costs have dropped. Realize that you can purchase a 1 terrabyte drive for under %60.00 or a DVD RW drive for around $35.00. Do the BB stores have volume sales? You will probably notice that they have included home appliances, as a way to drive up profits. Large TVs, Fridges, Stoves....

If the salesperson earns $20/hr, his cost to the big box store is closer to $40.00 plus benefits. Want a repair, consider the floor space of the repair area, tools, the salaries paid there and the administration costs.

Either prices go up, or for the BB stores it is a move to centralized warehousing per city and catalog shopping. Perhaps only one or two city sites will have staff and demo products. ( Consider the Ikea /Costco models).

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Tags
asus, buy